Hi there,

Making my first sale to a complete stranger was such an indescribable feeling. Up until then, all of my customers had been friends or family members. As soon as I saw the order, I immediately texted my best friend and then rushed to ship the item out.

How did you make your first sale to a stranger? I’m working on a potential article for the Seller Handbook, and I want to hear from you. Was there a turning point in your shop that led to it? Maybe you had an epiphany about how to shoot better product photos or perhaps you revamped your titles and tags. Or maybe you changed course and started selling a new product. Whatever the change, big or small, tell us about what led to your first sale.

If I’m interested in learning more about your experience, I’ll reach out to you directly. Excited to hear your stories and tips!

Thanks y’all,
Tess

Re: How did you make your first sale?

Keep the faith.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi My Dear Friend,
Without reading the rules about the team,
I sent product links,
If you need to roll out products,
Please remove
I am sorry about that
Thank you for your help
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi! My first sale (probably like for most of us) was to a friend of mine, but that was a biggie! She asked for 6 items so I was super happy :) however, sales haven't exactly picked up...
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello everyone! I just made my first sale and i am so happy about that!!!!
I opened my shop 2 1/2 months ago and despite the fact that i had many favorites i didn't had a sale... At the moment i was most discouraged my first sale happened! I can't describe my joy! I was working so hard all this time and i want it so much this shop to succeed..
2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You are kindly invited to visit our shop to pick up your favourite dag, either one made from leaves, or another made from flowers and leaves.
Unique pieces of art made with much love and persistence, mainly deriving from the beautiful greek nature, especially designed for the gorgeous female sex and not only.
www.etsy.com/shop/artflerstavropoulos
2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We had alchemy (custom orders) back when I had opened my store here. I made few placemats, that was my first order.

Best Regards,

Ani
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just opened my etsy shop this month and still waiting my first sale.
I think first sale will be something very unforgettable moment for everyone :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

hi i haven't had a sale as yet i opened my shop at the end of jan and everyday i hope it will be the day of my first sale i guess we all just have to give it time.
Good luck to everyone!!!!
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

I opened up a vintage jewelry shop that my grandmother has a storefront for up until the 80s. I'm hoping to revive it on etsy! A lot of good info here, thanks
0 Likes

My first sale was to my husband, second to my mom, and then - oh joy of joys! - third was to a stranger! Giddy dancing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am definitely looking forward to people's responses. I've been open about 6 days and have 1 sale. :)
Listing more products is my goal everyday!
1 Like

Hi,
I started my shop with some intrepidation but after that first sale ( an FRENCH post card ) I was very fortunate that the Canadian buyer was sooo nice it gave me a lot of encouragement.
I made it a rule that I treat all my customers as though I'm speaking with them face to face.
I love selling on Etsy and making people's dream jewellery come true..
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

It is nice to hear your success stories! I am new here, opened my shop a month (or so) ago no sales yet. I realise it is not going to be easy to sell something to a stranger. So far my clients are my friends and they prefer to buy it from me not through etsy. Can i ask someone who did a direct purchase write a review on Etsy or for that purchase should be done through Etsy? I know so little about all that......
TIA
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just opened my shop and I got some views, but still didn't sell anything..
Glad to see what people are saying on the subject xx
0 Likes

I teach classes on setting up on Etsy and tell people that the first sale is quite hard. Best thing to do is promote to everyone you know, via email with a link or on Facebook. Even better set up a coupon code for your first week/ month - and send out a message calling it your "Opening my Etsy shop sale" or some similar phrase. Coupon codes can have a limited date so you determine how long to have it, and use a 10% or 15% off to those "in the know." Many of your friends will be pleased to help you out and it will help you get those critical first few sales. That's how I did it many years ago!!
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

simply after adding one I tried to enjoy etsy , finding some other stuff that i like , and after a while I forget from the business , and a surprise happen , after a while i start to belive that my collection need to have more items to get more sales .
1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

I started my shop since 2 weeks and i got my first sale the first day. I was so happy! I hope i will continue to get sales, i work hard to promote my shop. Good luck and it's really nice to see the success of some shops!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I opened my shop in mid-Feb and I'm still waiting for my first sale. I'm only commenting because I have moments where I feel disheartened and think "Am I wasting my time doing this?", but then reading these comments where other newbies haven't had a sale yet either makes me think, "ok, it's not just me!" And for those of you who got a sale on the first day, well done!
0 Likes

My first first sale I did was by my sister but ya we did it test that my shop's payment system is working well or not but ya she really liked what she ordered ;)

But my first real sale was by a American Army veteran who bought my two of the best and the most expensive pedants (Bald eagle and Woodpecker) in morning. That day was awesome and we loved it. It was very great feeling that someone with a meaning bought our products.
It was amazing

Thank you guys, Cheers :D
0 Likes

Hi My first sale was about a month after opening my Etsy shop. Since then I enjoy having my customer base grow gradually, and look forward to serving my repeat customers!

I also get super excited when international customers visit my shop to purchase my labor of love products. It's an amazing feeling knowing that your items are being bought and shipped to different people all around the world.
0 Likes

My first sale, was my then best friend, now hubby. He bought a pair of earrings for his mom and to this day she still loves those earrings!
0 Likes

I opened my Etsy shop this past January, and when I started I read as much as I could in groups, in the Etsy handbook and articles, and online about how to take good pictures and write good listings. I was active in close to 20 teams, up until a few weeks ago. I hadn't had a single sale, and was mostly getting views from groups. I had read how searches should be one of your main sources of views and that was not the case for most of my listings. I had come to realize how flooded the vintage jewelry market was on Etsy, and I started to consider the possibility that most of my listings would start expiring one-by-one, with no sales.

But, I just had my first sale this past Sunday, a whole 3.5 months since opening my shop! I was so surprised it finally happened! It gave me some hope that I may have some more in the future.

My advice: don't base your expectations off of anyone's timeline of their first sale. When I started I looked at this discussion and saw that people had shear luck the first day they opened, or it took 2 weeks or 2 months.
I focused on the later and felt let down that my sales weren't happening. Every shop is different, and expectations can get in the way, while optimism, effort, and being open to a unexpected possibilities can be much more rewarding....even when we least expect it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Our first sales where to family and friends who were supportive of our adventure.
0 Likes

Hi! I opened my shop few days ago, haven't sold anything yet although I have only 4 shop views! :) Need to read some tips about SEO.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.