Finding your market-the fine details

Hi, everyone!

The more we read about being small business owners, the more we see how important it is to know exactly who our customer is. That way we can market most effectively. Where do they shop, what do they read, what is their income, etc.?

We get a slight idea about who our customers are after they purchase, at least where they live and what they buy, and even more info when it is a custom order. But really, without asking them, HOW do we find these answers out?! We would love to hear your ideas or strategies that worked for you.

Thanks!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies
KthysKreations
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Finding your market-the fine details

Well, I'm still looking for my target audience.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I started out with photo bracelets, catering to almost everyone, new moms, Grandmothers..... I found out very quickly that my target market was Brides ;) I never thought that would be my target audience. So, now I basically re-worked my shop with Weddings and Brides in mind. In time, it is the Customer who gives you the direction that you should be going in !!! It really helps when you know what and who to market to.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My newest experience was doing a craft show in London (my first). It was a great weekend but slow sales for everyone there. However I've had some great orders from that day, so I would say getting your self seen in as diverse a way as possible so that those elusive customers can find us. I'm doing another London show in November and after that I will approach a group of magazines to see if any are interested in featuring my work.

I'm hoping that by getting my work seen in this way I can start to get an idea of who and where my customers are, you also get lots of feedback at a craft show, sometimes that might be just quietly observing how people respond to your work, comments aren't always what you expect and sometimes they are not so complementary but it's all good information for you to use.

And especially being based in the UK means I can spread the word about Etsy, bring the customers to us!
0 Likes

These are VERY cute and when I see your items I instantly think woman....craft room...teacher....decorating the office/baby room/spare bedroom....
I see people buying these more for themselves, than as gifts.

I think you would benefit greatly from a craft show. Not only would you have the people who come to shop....but other crafters would love these as well.
I would go to where the women are, especially moms and singles.

Try schools? Give aways are fun and can help market your items, if you can afford to do it. Maybe you could make a small one just for that? You could maybe ask a school to hang one up and the teachers can enter to win and you will draw a name after a week?

Try little local boutiques, women are ALWAYS shopping at those, myself included : ) Some might even buy one for their own shop to display jewlery or something?

Maybe a locally owned childrens clothing store? A bridal boutique? Try searching around on blogs for crafty women and get them looking at your stuff.

You could find peopel on Etsy who make magnets and maybe you could go into together and promote each other? Some of your pictures could show their magents? And you can give a quick shout out on each others listings?

Just rambling and thinking out loud....hope it gets the creative juices flowing!
Good luck and much success!
0 Likes

Wow, all really great advice!! We do sell in a local children's boutique in town. A craft show and local schools are great ideas.

I'm going to now look at all your shops here, too.

Oh, why oh why must we have day jobs . . . ! Maybe someday we won't :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That's a good question, I am struggling to find my audience! I can say that so far my audience loves blue color. That's the only thing my sales and views are saying.....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So agree with you Jane from EleganceFarmHome

Targeting my audience; That is one thing I have not spent enough time on. I think my items cater to a too wide audience. May be I need to concentrate on a smaller market audience.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

who ever buys, ppl may like, fav and the nine but those that sign on the dotted line are your client base
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

In person shows are definitely a great way, but for those that feel it isn't feasible, you could always put in your listing if you leave a comment to seller with a reason why they purchase the gift (or some such idea), you will receive a free gift with purchase. The gift can then be something really simple and nearly free... think a gift tag or something... but it will give you lots of info. Or you can even message customers after they have purchased and ask them to respond to receive a free gift with purchase.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.