Former_Member
Not applicable

Twitter, and how to be a good twit.

Hi everyone,

I finally got a twitter up and running for my shop, and have linked it from my banner using the new controls. I like the idea of it and I already run a work twitter for my bookshop, but my etsy store is a different kettle of fish. I want it to be professional but slightly more personal as well. I was wondering what tips everyone has for making their shop's twitter cool, useful and interesting to customers, and what they do on their twitter pages that they've had good result with?

I have a facebook already which I really enjoy using, I was wondering if, in people's experience, it's better for short updates to update twitter and feed it through to your facebook page, or if it's best to keep them seperate?

Also does anybody know a good way to get your social media pages "out there"? I'm dubious of the sort of games and clubs where everyone "likes" each other's pages just to get the numbers up - does anyone find this works? Or am I right that its perhaps better to have less, but more genuine fans/followers?

Sorry for the long rambling ask:)

Clare
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Twitter, and how to be a good twit.

I've never done any games to "follow" my Twitter - I try to attract followers more genuinely.

I have a twitter account for my shop (http://twitter.com/22and33) but end up posting a good mix of personal and business stuff. I try not to spam with links to products all the time, because really, who wants to read that? But, occassionally I'll throw in a link to a cool treasury I'm in or an exciting new product. Most of the time, I just try to be the girl behind the shop, ya know?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

To Twitter or not to Twitter?? That is my question at the moment. I have a facebook page for my shop which seems to help drive business to my website and Etsy store. I have been considering starting a Twitter account as well since it is free advertising! But, yeah, I also have all the same questions regarding how to market it and how to use it so I can get the most out of it...

I don't think the "game" of liking page after page on facebook necessarily works...I think people will respond to your page if they are interested. I'm also still working on getting more "likes" as well.

I like what Cassandra said, about what she posts or tweets, and how she tries to be the "girl behind the shop." I agree that the genuine approach is better, though it may take longer.

Thanks!

kristen
Havok Designs
0 Likes

I found this thread looking for twitter tips, so thought I would bring it back up, does anyone have any top tips? ie how to use twitter effectively, how to find relevant followers etc?

Does anyone generate sales from twitter?

Thanks!

Jo
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Be yourself - don't post a steady stream of promos for yourself or anyone else. I like to get to know the people I twit with. If someone in my stream posts themselves over and over, I un-follow them.

I also don't like ads (people who make money from their twitter account), or posts that are only coming from Facebook. I don' thave FB so it does me no good anyway.
0 Likes

I unfollow people for this too!

Antone got any tips on how to get followers in the first place? Do you follow others and hope they follow back? or do you just aquire followers along the way?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love twitter and use it a lot! I have a decent amount of followers and I follow quite a few. One good way to find relevant followers would be to do some searches with hashtags that are related to your field. You can then see which people are talking about "jewelry" for example. some people will make it, some might need it, some might just like it..you never know.

I follow new people pretty much every day and I get about 5-10 followers a day, of course you lose them along the way too.

Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I post pictures once and while, personal pictures and pictures of work-in-progress. Pictures from my studio. I try to mix it up and post about things that interest me and stuff from my shop. Engage my followers. Reply to other people's posts and and search tags for tweets to comment on. Really "work" it. I firmly believe Twitter only works for those who use it, and use it frequently! I talk to a bunch of people on there and love meeting new people too.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.