Hey Etsy Sellers!

We recently launched Customer Service Stats ( https://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2013/5-steps-to-happier-customers) as a resource for growing sellers to start gauging their customer service rates on Etsy. It's a tricky concept to calculate, because as you all know, it's the "special sauce" of your own customer service style that truly distinguishes you to your buyers.

I would love to highlight some of *your* customer service insights in a future Seller Handbook article, and share them with sellers who are new to Etsy.

If you're willing to share a tip or two, feel free to post below. I'm excited to hear your ideas!
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Collecting Customer Service Tips for Future Seller Handbook Article

Packaging is important to me some it's the first thing my buyer sees. So I wrap my cards and envelopes in clear archival bags (you can get a pack of 50 in various sizes for $4 at Michael's!!) and attach my thank-you card (with a discount code for return business) to with a light green ribbon. I mail everything in eco-friendly, dark brown craft envelopes. Brown and green are my logo colors so I want them to have no doubt what shop the item came from when it arrives in the mail. It takes a little effort, but I think it's worth the personal touch!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

My tip is to listen to each potential customer as if they are already your buyer. Even if they're just browsing or window-shopping, they deserve great service and it may just persuade them to go with you.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My best customer service stems from my choice to adapt to what works for me and my customers as individuals, not what some flawed corporate metric tells me suits a generic shop on a website.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The items that are purchased are the actual ones in the photographs so people see what they are buying and not something similar.

I send buyers a personal email letting them know posting details and how long the package might take to arrive.

Many buyers, especially new ones who arrive direct from an outside of Etsy link or search, which tends to be the usual case since the category has been somewhat hidden and new would-be buyers probably don't even realise dollhouse miniatures for collectors can be found here, have no idea that the convo system exists so sending an email ensures they get the message and can easily contact me if they need to.

Customers are fellow hobbyists and collectors so they often become friends over the course of repeat puchases.

A few of them actually followed me here from Ebay where I used to sell miniatures.

The new stats are meaningless to me and probably meaningless to my customers as well. I don't need telling how I handle sales - I might when I get very old and lose my memory but thankfully that day hasn't arrived yet.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's not always the product that makes a customer happy, it's the experience! How can you make a lasting impression on your buyers whether it's their first time buying or their fifth time?

I've learned that communication, a fast delivery, and being available for follow-up questions in addition to having a niche product that people want is what makes buying from TidyMighty memorable.
0 Likes

Wonderful tips from everybody! I am happy to note that I do the same things. I think the bottom line is people, myself included, still value good, old fashioned customer service! They are shopping here for a reason, and I work hard to provide a terrific shopping experience from start to finish...Where's the stat for that! :)
0 Likes

Don't be so business minded that your customer doesn't feel a personal connection with you.
0 Likes
PassionofLight
Inspiration Seeker

Great tips and advice from everyone. I also send a thank you message right away and let them know about when it will ship. The day it ships I send the tracking number and another thank you. I think it's little personal touches that people appreciate. I am still fairly new but I believe customer service is really important. Love the new thank you coupons as well, great idea.
0 Likes

Of course I try to have great customer service for all my customers so I do a lot of the things everybody else has been posting about, but my tip has to do with customer service for return customers. There's nothing like that little green star next to a purchase to make me happy for the day! Whenever I see that I have a return customer I take the time to look up their order history and remind myself of the person, any conversations we had in the past, and what they ordered. Then when I send my thank you convo out to acknowledge their order and give them an expected shipping time, I can make it a bit more personal and thank them for coming back and being a loyal customer. Sometimes I include something extra with their purchase as a thank you for coming back, like a jewelry storage bag or a polishing cloth. I think everyone likes to be remembered, and doing a little extra to acknowledge customer loyalty hopefully makes their experience with me a little bit more special!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

All of these are great tips, and I do most of these things for my customers, too. My motto is to look at the transaction from the buyers' point of view and treat them the same way I would want to be treated if I were in their shoes.

As I do a lot of custom orders which are quite labor intensive, I also make it a point to send my buyers photo updates of "in progress" work just to make sure that we are on the same page design wise before it is too late to make changes if any are needed. Majority of my buyers really appreciate this, especially if the custom order in question is a large set of wedding flowers.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Its all about making the customer feel 'special'.

Even in a busy shop there is still time for that 'personal touch' with a short note acknowledging the sale. My customers have commented that its so nice to actually be able to make that connection with the seller especially in this age of 'click and buy'.

My shop has grown mainly because I listen to customer requests. Does that come in a different colour or weight? Can I recommend something for this application? I don't mind doing the research even if it doesn't result in an immediate sale as the customer will remember me and probably come back in the future.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I do most of the things already mentioned: prompt response, hand written thank yous, a thank you coupon for return buyers, photos of custom orders.

As someone who ships mostly fragile items I am also hyper aware that no matter how well you package porcelain, breakage will happen. When a customer contacts me that something arrives damaged and sends me a photo, I apologize and send a replacement as soon as possible, no questions asked. Same goes for non-delivery.
0 Likes

I sell custom painted portraits and fine art and besides doing many of the already mentioned things, try to encourage repeat business, by including a Repeat Customer coupon code with my hand written thank you note that is send with the painting.

The discount is a nice way to let my client know that I appreciate their business and that their royalty is rewarded. By doing this I have had clients order portraits repeatedly throughout the years.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Communication is key to a buyer who has just purchased from you. If a potential buyer emails you a question, answer it within 10 hrs. Waiting will turn them away quick.

I use the 'contact' button and email them a big thank you upon completed payment, and I send the shipment date to them, and let them know that the Delivery Confirmation number will be sent to them from Paypal. I also add a note in the Paypal invoice and thank them AGAIN for their business and to visit again soon. Once I get positive feedback, I send them a 3rd email convo and give them a coupon code for their next purchase, and thank them for their positive feedback. Chances are, they will visit your store again. Quick communication, great packaging, shipment notices, and quick shipping within 24-48 hrs is key, and are very welcome things a buyer loves to get. They will buy from you again.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Response times to enquiries are vital, aim to reply to any messages with in 24 hours, the sooner the better. In some cases people have cash on the hip and want a reply as soon as possible so they can buy straight away, but in other cases it's just a casual enquiry. It's not worth 'leaving 'til tomorrow' in my eyes.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I work with custom orders day in day out, I always get in touch with my customer and reassure them that their design choices have been noted, and that their item will be made and sent as soon as possible.
0 Likes

Prompt response to a potential customer is always priority! Not every enquiry will turn into a sale but it made lead to future ones!

Make sure that everything is clear and to the point.

Customers will sometimes skim read information, so it's often best to reiterate important information in your dispatch email. If you are not in the US it may be best to mention so as well as how long their item may take to arrive once it has been dispatched.
0 Likes

Be friendly, and aim to be formal, but let informalities in there too- let your buyers know you're professional, but also not a robot that they can't relate to.

Consider the new 'thank you' coupons as a little gift to people that buy your items to entice them back!

Always reply accurately and promptly to communications. If someone asks you a question that you can't answer, asking you if you have something in stock, and you're out of your office, let them know that you're happy to help by replying quickly, but let them know you'll get back to them as fast as possible with the details when you can check your stock!

Don't tell everyone your stories! Unless you're best buddies with the person you're selling to, it's not advised to tell people exactly how it is. If you're spending the day in the hospital with a relative and you've delayed an order, let your buyer know, but don't spin the story too much. Let them know that, due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be out of the office, and that their order will be delayed by a day, checking that it is okay. You can decide to tell them the story later, but always be professional in the way you talk.

Don't always assume the worst. I've seen a lot of sellers asking for advice when they think something is fishy.It's good to be cautious, but ensure that you don't put off your buyer by acting weird, as if they might be trying to trick or scam you. Ask for advice in the forums before replying.

Make sure you have a full set of policies, and learn from other peoples mistakes/problems by adding in policies that might cover eventualities you may not have thought of. You may have full policies explaining returns, but did you think about what might happen if a package gets left at the sorting office and the buyer doesn't pick it up, and it is sent back to you? This is an example of one I'm writing a policy for and seeing someone else with that problem!
0 Likes

I sell kids toys and have had a few requests to send the item directly to the recipient. I always offer to gift wrap and attach a gift tag with a note from the buyer.
0 Likes

Great point about giftwrap, Mel :)
0 Likes

ALWAYS be professional, even when you are turning down a sale or dealing with an unhappy customer that you know will never be satisfied.

Respond to all inquiries as fast as possible. Customers that get faster responses are more likely to purchase from you!

Go the extra mile. Spend a few extra minutes answering a customer's questions fully and giving suggestions. All it takes is a little time.

Send a personalized thank you with every order. This makes your customer feel special and makes a good impression with them.

Reward Loyalty, if only with an extra coupon code or a thank you.

Interact! Don't be flat on your social media and marketing. Make people know that you aren't Walmart just trying to resell.

Get it right! If you make a mistake, make it right immediately, and acknowledge with the customer that you made an oops. A simply apology will go a long way to sooth ruffled feathers. We are all human, and most customers will understand. I've even gained repeat business from my mistakes!
0 Likes

@Nancy Allyn
Many brand new members/buyers do not use the Convo function on the site. If I have a question regarding the sale and haven't heard back in 24 hours I will also send a direct email.

Check out the area provided for "Notes about this Sale" at the bottom of the receipt page. If I have requested information from the buyer, a phone number for tracking, or any other pertinent information about the sale, I use that area to write a private note.
It's a much more efficient way to source that info rather than going back through convos.
0 Likes
kalicat
Crafty Poster

I send care instruction with oxidised jewellery as it will not remain dark if washed in a silver dip ... for example
0 Likes
tangente
Inspiration Seeker

I always confirm the size and color ordered in case they chose the wrong option in the drop down menu. It also gives the customer a chance to ask any additional questions they may have had (example: can you make the sleeves an 1" longer). I think by sending out that 1st convo, it starts a nice dialogue that's beneficial to the client.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Including information on how to care for your items can go a long way with making sure customers are happy. I used to include that information in my conversations with buyers when they ordered, but I now always include a printed care card in all of my packages to make sure the information gets in the hands of the person actually using the item. I invest a lot of time into my products, and I would hate for something to happen to one of them because of my failure to give customers the proper information.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.