Hey Etsy Sellers!

We recently launched Customer Service Stats ( https://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2013/5-steps-to-happier-customers) as a resource for growing sellers to start gauging their customer service rates on Etsy. It's a tricky concept to calculate, because as you all know, it's the "special sauce" of your own customer service style that truly distinguishes you to your buyers.

I would love to highlight some of *your* customer service insights in a future Seller Handbook article, and share them with sellers who are new to Etsy.

If you're willing to share a tip or two, feel free to post below. I'm excited to hear your ideas!
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Collecting Customer Service Tips for Future Seller Handbook Article

Thank you Etsy Admin for letting us know about the blog and our service "report". Very helpful.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
MyHoneypickles
Inspiration Seeker

I always reply with a quick thank you as soon as an item sells. As I package the item to be shipped, I write a personal note on stationary to the customer and tie a seashell with jute to the note. I also send tracking info and follow up with a quick email once the item has been delivered.
0 Likes
ferrytalesgifts
Inspiration Seeker

I send a note as soon as I've received an order and a second that includes the tracking number
Always include a handwritten thank you note.
Send pics of any special orders prior to shipping.
I always leave feedback for purchases.
Include care instructions when appropriate.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

one thing i tell people to do, is to read articles and to have a plan for how to deal with your first unhappy customer.

we all know you cant please all the people all the time in an abstract way but it is surprising how few people have a plan in place for when you cant please someone in the real world. people will give people a neg feedback if they get one or they will send them annoying emails asking for them to do a kiss and makeup or get so emotional and take it so personally that they are bound to do the wrong thing.

instead sellers should read one of the many articles on how to know what customers want and how to turn an unhappy customer into a big fan.
- deal with issues head on,
- dont take things personally
- admit your mistake
- find what you could have done better
- blaming the customer wont help you find resolution
- just because its not your fault doesnt mean there are not things you could do to make things better
- dont leave neg feedback just because you got some
- dont try to do a kiss and make up until after the customer is satified
- dont make a refund contingent on positive feedback, if thats not against the rules it should be

do ask yourself:
what did is it the customer requesting?
what did i do that i could have done differently or better? (for example if shipping times are in the seller page but not the item page)
what can i do to make the customer feel whole? often sellers will over a refund if you return the time and thats not always what the customer wants. sometimes they just want an acknowledgment of their concern.
"Im sorry it took me so long to ship, in the future i will email customers directly to let them know of a delay"
"im sorry your product has not arrived, I have called the post office and started a case file to track your package. this is their number and this is your case number if you feel like calling but i will call them tomorrow to see if there is an update on your package. "

having that basic understanding of what customers want and how best deal with things. having a plan BEFORE something goes wrong is the best way to turn an unhappy customer into a big fan

thats my tip
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My tips for excellent customer service are the same as many have already mentioned:
Thank your customers for the purchase, go above and beyond any expectations, treat your buyers like you would want to be treated. Communicate! Don't be afraid of feedback! Don't ship anything until payment clears. Do not refund anything until receiving the returned item back and don't refund overages in shipping, because shipping is much more than postage. It is postage+packaging+time+travel. The buyer agreed to pay the amount listed.
0 Likes

A customer expects to be happy with their purchase and transaction so they may not go out and tell everyone how wonderful you are but maybe they will tell 1 other person.

BUT.....if they are unhappy, expect them to tell anyone that will listen! How you handle a sale gone wrong will be as important as how you handle the sale in the first place.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

For good customer service I believe you have to be organized. It takes a while as you are establishing your etsy business to figure out what works. It is not the same for every seller. For me, I set up a specific spot in my home near the computer printer for a packaging and shipping center. I have a stacked file system with each size envelope and labels in each section so I can see when supplies are getting low. You definately do not want to delay a customer's shipment because you are waiting on more labels and envelopes to be delivered.
0 Likes

These are great policies and practises so far!

Besides the note, I like to include the item with a bow (ribbon curling) it's cost effective and looks festive when they open the package.

Our packaing looks coordinated and pleasing.

If someone asks if they can get refills for a pen in Puerto Rico I've included office supply outlets in the major cities.

With the Irish Bog Oak pens I make a cetificate explaining how bog oak is found in peat bogs and include the recipient's name on the certificate.

If the individual is buying for themselves I gift wrap in tissue - everyone loves a present again :)

We're making a custom order right now and I told the customer I want them excited to get the package and track the airbill happy. If we need to make changes - so be it. I love to have fun along with them. If we need to remake something - it won't go to waste - finish and put in the shop.

Mostly, i guess treat people as you would like to be treated, be helpful and enthusiastic. And if you come across a difficult situation - suck it up, apoligize and refund them the money and move on. Nordstrom's business plan from In search of Excellence describes this best. It's better to make them happy by returning the money and creating good will.

0 Likes

Tracking every order: I have found that on the rare occasion when a package has been incorrectly routed, or is taking much longer than expected to arrive, being proactive and emailing the customer to let them know you are aware of a delay, include the tracking number and link to the postal tracking site, is greatly appreciated by the customer. This tells the customer that they are "valued" and that you, as a seller, will see the sale through to final delivery...not just take their money, ship the item, and disappear.

Having spent a career in Customer Relations, this is one the most effective forms of customer service and will all but guarantee a return buyer.
0 Likes

If a customer orders and leaves me a note (say, they bought it as a gift for a friend) I always message them back to acknowledge that I received their note and will gladly accommodate them.

I work with buyers on custom orders, too, and do what the first poster suggested: take photos and send it to them before shipping! When we're arranging the custom order they love to hear that I will send them a photo for their approval before it ships. I firmly believe that it often seals the deal.

And, I am also working on my packaging. I want my customer to get the package, open it, and feel like it's the best thing to happen to them that day. A hand written note, pretty packaging, a coupon code to return, and sometimes a small gift for larger orders.
0 Likes

Also, I have sent out second orders to customers whose packages have been lost. I'd be upset if a package I ordered was lost. I'd know it wasn't the sellers fault, but it wouldn't make me come back to them.

Instead, I'll ship them their order again, and they are so happy that I care enough not to penalize them for a mistake that wasn't theirs and wasn't mine.
0 Likes
sewbigkeepsake
Inspiration Seeker

Promptness and clear communication have made working with my customers a breeze.

I like the idea from Ewe, "Coupons with thank-you notes".
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I always treat my customers as I would like to be treated - years of being in the customer service industry taught me the importance of treating customers very well.

I keep my lines of communication open with customers and answer them quickly and thoroughly if they have questions.

When an item is ordered, I create it and ship it within the timeline given in the listing, and send the customer a note with tracking info once the item has shipped.

If a problem arises with the post office, I will do the legwork to get the problem resolved, and keep the customer informed along the way.

Also, I send a hand-written note on the receipt with each item, along with a discount code for the customer if they wish to come back again.

I make sure that my items are well-made, and that my customers have all the information they need to know (what the items are made of, how big they are, etc), as well as giving the customers resources to contact me if they ever need to (I give a business card with each purchase, which has my shop's email address and social network pages).

It's important to me to keep my customers (human and cat alike) happy, and I keep both in mind during every step of my creative process so that they have an enjoyable experience from beginning to end!
0 Likes

In my business I have LOTS of new Etsy customers. Communication is key so that they understand what to expect from "made to order" and when their item will be ready to ship.

I agree that customers shop here for handmade items and personal service, something that sets Etsy apart from "online" shopping. My new moms (and grandmoms) are so excited for their new arrivals and have chosen me to be part of this special time. I try to remember that in all my communications. I also include a handwritten thank you note with their order and if this is their first purchase, I WELCOME THEM TO ETSY!

My packaging includes a drawstring gift bag that they can use to give their handmade gift or use as a keepsake bag for baby's first hat.

I also include a coupon code on the back of my business card to encourage them to return.
0 Likes

Kelly from BaxCatandCo says:
I always treat my customers as I would like to be treated - years of being in the customer service industry taught me the importance of treating customers very well.

--------------------------
I think this is key.

Respond to questions promptly, say "Thank you", appreciate the business your customers are bringing you, be kind and understanding... Simple things like that go a long way.

Having clear shop policies that you stand by is important too. Having a clear plan for what you will do when a package goes missing in the post, or if the customer is unhappy with the purchase, helps give your customer (and yourself) peace of mind! :)

My biggest complaint as a customer are shops that don't sent out a nice "thank you" after a purchase is made, and shops with poor communication. There is nothing more frustrating as a customer than feeling like you are being ignored.
0 Likes

I always answer convos asap with a smile on my face and in my heart.
Package well so nothing gets broken ( Thank goodness I have small items)
I ship out asap usually within the same day and customer always gets a convo on delivery confirmation with my thank you. If I have a delay in shipping I convo customer. So far my only delay is if it's a saturday night order & can't mail til Monday.
Right after I mail item/items I give feedback.
And I take Etsy check out as well as Paypal for payments.
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Quick communication, secure shipping, refunds include initial shipping, and respect for buyers taking a chance on my items!
0 Likes

from Barbara....
". I have a collection of non-listed vintage smalls for this purpose. When a buyer has made their favorite items viewable, it helps make for a good match!"

me too... I love to include smaller samples and sometimes full sized items from our shop. It makes it easier to guess what they would like to have a quick look at their fav items.I also let each customer know they can request samples.
0 Likes

Look after you customers:

The customer is not always right - but the customer is always the customer.

0 Likes
1AEON
Inspiration Seeker

very true:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Be flexible in dealing with each order as it comes. Sometimes things work amazingly well and other times little glitches can happen. It's important to keep an open line of communication, keep your promises and remember! we are all human. Most of all, imagine how you would like to be treated as a customer. Probably with a smile :)
0 Likes

By all means use their names in communication, it makes the customer feel special and that you appreciate their business.
0 Likes
vw53
Etsy Seller

Excellent advice from all. A couple things I had not thought of, so thank you for the tips.
0 Likes
HoookedSoap
Registered Buyer

I send a personalized thank you note with every order.

I send a personalized conversation after every order thanking the customer and letting them know their item has shipped. This opens up the line of communication in case they have any questions, concerns, or comments about their purchase.
0 Likes

When a customer contacts me with a question, concern, or comment, I respond the way I would like to receive a response if I were the customer. It goes back to the old adage about walking in their shoes. This is very important because so often I see it get confused and sellers expecting the customers to understand where we are coming from, but really it needs to be about us trying to understand the customer's perspective because we can't really address their concern or issue until we understand it.

I realize that my tips don't fit any customer service grading algorithm but here they are anyway.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.