Big tip: Answer all your emails from potential buyers!

Ugh, it drives me crazy when I don't get a response from a shop when I ask a question! I am boycotting two shops because they didn't answer my questions. I WON'T buy from them now despite the fact that I haven't been able to find what I need at their prices anywhere else.

So please Etsy sellers, answer ALL messages from buyers!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
23 Replies

Re: Big tip: Answer all your emails from potential buyers!

Agreed! That must be very frustrating. I make it a goal to answer all emails within 1 hour of receiving them, but I do understand that there are a lot of people with day jobs who cannot do this.

Customers always appreciate a quick response. If they don't hear back quick, they are likely to find something from someone else.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It is very important to respond to messages, regardless of who they are from. I think that some shop owners look to see if the person messaging them has a shop too and they think that it is some treasury mailing or something so they never read it. They forget that other shop owners are potential customers too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I answer all my emails - including cold solicitations - even if it is to say I am uninterested.

The shoe fits on the other foot too. It is hard to complete an order when you have a question or need a clarification from your buyer and they never respond to you. I know they don't always check back on Etsy - but I always email to their listed email address rather than just respond through Etsy convo system. Wish there was a better way sometimes.....
0 Likes

I agree. I've contacted a few sellers about questions and still have yet to receive a message back, weeks/months later...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I absolutely agree!!
0 Likes

When a shop doesn't respond to your email, it is like walking into a store and being completely ignored, as is you didn't matter. bad business practice, for sure.
0 Likes

There have been many times that I have waken up in the morning with a convo that is 6 to 7 hours old. I always respond quickly but can lose a customer by not being right on it. I also need my sleep as well. But I always respond! :)
0 Likes

International or night owl convos are tough. I, too, feel like I've lost several sales by not being able to respond until the next morning. Sleep is important too :D
0 Likes

I always answer a convo the same day, that also means I send a thank you note to a buyer.
I think I need to get a new devise besides my big computer to be more mobile, but can I justify the expense.:):)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Absolutely! I have sent convos to two different shops about items that I wanted to purchase and I have never received answers from them. They lost out on a sale because of it. I try to answer all on my convos from potential customers as soon as I can. I have a day job, so sometimes that means waiting until I get home from work to get back to them. But I never leave anyone hanging!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Having the etsy app on my phone makes answering within the hour much easier even though I do still have a full time day job as a nurse. I get a sale from my conversations about 50% of the time. Totally worth answering. Struggling though to want to answer annoying/ridiculous questions. Don't know what to say without sounding rude or impatient.
0 Likes

Wow I am very surprised someone would not respond. I always answer as soon as I can.
0 Likes

I can't believe they don't respond either Susan!

I don't expect answers within the hour, but under normal circumstances (I know things can happen and that we all have other obligations), but under normal circumstances I don't see any reason to not be able to answer within 24 hours.

I am looking for a particular service on Etsy and I messaged the two shops I liked. One returned my message in 5 minutes (wow!) and the other still hasn't and it's been two days. Who do you think I went with?

0 Likes
TLCLyn
Post Crafter

A primary part of doing business is customer communication. If a person fails to commit themselves to this major piece, they might as well give up the idea of being in business.

0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

I find it absurd that people don't reply same day. I noticed a lot of people are in the same boat as I am where they have full time jobs, but that's no excuse to reply same day. I have a droid with the Etsy app, so I know when people contact me. Depending the question, I try to get back to them right away.

I worked in retail and I currently deal with collections at my full time, so I know how customers feel when they feel neglected, so I always make sure that i'm on top of things. Ugh. . . I can't stand lousy customer service!
0 Likes

It's so unprofessional. Clearly these vendors do not take their businesses seriously.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I give 48 hrs to get a reply. As a busy mom myself, I understand stuff happens. Sick/teething kids, emergencies, etc. and shop stuff isn't always on the top of someone's mind. Even if the shop owner isn't a parent, stuff still happens. I myself do not do anything shop-related on the weekends. That is family time.

After 48 hrs, I may send another message if I'm really interested or if there is no hurry. Or I move on to another resource. I feel like 48 hrs is plenty of time to give someone to get back to you.
0 Likes

While I do respond it is no mystery that people do not. Questions do not come from buyers or customers they come from people who are extremely unlikely to buy no matter how you respond. It might be different if you do custom work but for vintage it is absolutely less than 1 in 100 that buy.
0 Likes
nad205
Inspiration Seeker

I respond anyway but have learnt (after being dissapointed several times)that potential customers have a different way of asking a question regarding an Item in my shop but I do answer all the time .
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow, I can't even imagine not answering an email. Customer Service before you have a customer is essential!

Communication through the entire transaction is if nothing else, polite.
0 Likes

I always answer - even if it's to say "I'll get back to you!"

I hate being ignored in a store - wouldn't do that to someone in my shop!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Many sellers only answer a purchase.....so many don't even bother with a convo question because more often than not customer browse asking many questions to several sellers.

Our boxes are full of people who ask questions that are already in the description body. I can not begin to tell you how many times I have answered:

"....are your boxes handmade?"

Answering my customers is important to me, a customer in progress.
0 Likes

I agree that most questions don't result in sales, at least in my experience, but I was planning on buying from both of the shops that I mentioned in my OP, so you never know. And even if someone asking a question doesn't buy from you right then, they may buy later if they felt they received good customer service.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.