Former_Member
Beautiful photography can put your small business on the path to success, but learning how to take better photos isn’t always easy.

To help, we’re partnering with photography experts from Canon. Ask your top questions about buying a camera, photographing your products, lighting and more and we’ll share the answers in an upcoming Seller Handbook story.

We’ll also be talking to Canon experts about printing branded packaging and business collateral, including business cards and wholesale linesheets, choosing the right kind of paper for your printed products (such as art prints, paper goods, or photos), buying a printer for your business and more. Have a photography or printing question? Ask it in the thread below!

Bonus: Learn more about photography and printing in an upcoming Online Labs video. Subscribe to the Etsy Success Newsletter ( https://www.etsy.com/emails/success) to have more info delivered straight to your inbox.

Ask your top photography and printing questions in this thread!

PS
The Canon partners are working with Etsy Wholesale on the Open Call program - listening to your questions and providing pro tips, as well as prizes for our sweepstakes. Learn more about Etsy Wholesale Open Call, an opportunity to pitch your line to 5 amazing retailers plus a Refinery29 editor at www.etsy.me/opencall
EbonyShaeDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Ask your top photography and printing questions!

How on earth do you take photos of white or cream products on a white background? I keep getting over exposed pictures and to get the colours of the item right, the background always ends up slightly grey......
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Thanks for giving us this opportunity.
I have following questions-
1. How to photograph glass framed paintings? I get the reflection of myself in the painting every time I click.
2. How to position the gallery wrapped canvas painting?Should we mount it on a stand/ easel or keep it flat on the floor?
3. While printing the paintings & fine are photos what should be the type & thickness of paper?
Thanks again.
Prajakta
0 Likes

I have a coolpix Nikon 4600 that I use for taking photos of my jewellery and I also use a light box but the images always come out too dark. I use the auto, setting with macro, and .7 - 1 exposure hoping to get images to look as bright and true to the original as possible but they don't.

1. How can I get my jewellery to look as original and sparkly as possible.
2. I'm thinking of getting a new camera, what reasonably priced one would you suggest with macro setting/ fittings to take high quality images?

Thanks in advance.
0 Likes

I'd love some tips on photographing neon colored items. I have a canon Powershot ELPH 115 IS that I use for my product photographs, and it works great for everything else, just not neon colored items.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

One of the tricks I read about photographing gems (from a professional) - is to use bengal lights. If you find this useful, please promote my shop! I need it really
0 Likes

From a professional point of view- what is the best angle to shoot outdoor picnic/ground blankets from?

Thanks!
0 Likes

I don't get true colors of purple, blue and green on my camera.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh, GREAT topic!! Our house is very dark, and indoor pics just don't work. So we photograph our items outside which can be very challenging. We usually shoot in shade or on cloudy days, then I go into PicMonkey and brighten photos up but that can wash items out or make colors look weird.

We use a Canon PowerShot SD400 Digital Elph.

Specific questions are...

1.Best way to shoot white or cream items outdoors, so they don't wash out in sun or look blue in shade?

2. Best background to use for white and light colored items, where most of the color comes from embroidery?

We'll welcome any suggestions/help.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Sandi Walker
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I also live in the northwest and struggle with getting good product pictures, there is either glare, shadows, or light spots...
0 Likes

Thank you for giving this opportunity to ask questions!

I've a canon power shot, but lately I've started taking pictures from my phone. It looks sharper than camera pictures. Is that true or do I need to adjust my camera settings?
I get abundance of light in my house. But sometimes its too bright for taking pictures. So I use homemade light box to take pictures. But then my pictures look dark. How do I balance? What's the best time and where should we take pictures....sunlight or no sunlight?
Thank you!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.