Former_Member
Not applicable

The First 6 Etsy SEO Basic Steps for Newbies

First 6 Etsy SEO basic steps for Newbies

1. Ask for search term ideas from friends, team members, group members: which words would everyone use to search for a product or service like yours

2. When you have a long list of search terms ideas, use a keyword research tool such as Google Adwords Keyword Planner to see which of the search terms in your list are used by shoppers. Google will make several hundred related keyword recommendations that can be very useful.

3. For each listing, select one or two targeted long tail keyword phrases and two or more general keyword phrases. Targeted long tail keywords are more descriptive and detailed than general keywords. Examples of targeted keywords are: long sleeve black t shirt, personalized baby girl blanket, yellow flower necklace, and red bead necklace. General keywords for the same listings would be: black t shirt, baby blanket, flower necklace and beaded necklace.

4. Use one of the targeted keywords a the beginning of the listing title followed by the other keywords. Add these same keywords to the listing tags, dividing long keyword phrases into two or more tags: the keyword phrase, lampwork glass bead necklace, would be divided into these tags: lampwork necklace and glass bead necklace.

5. Tags work best with keyword phrases instead of just single keywords. Use single keywords in tags only when the words are very long and more than one word cannot be fit into one tags.

6. Sales history is a big part of Etsy's search algorithm. Shops with a lot of sales will see more views within a few days after adding better keywords. SEO takes longer to work for new shops and shops with very few sales. Begin with good keywords and the sales will increase and the views from Relevancy searches will get better over time. Trust the process and leave the good keywords in place for a few months and work on finding your target market and on promotion to get those first sales started. During this time change the keywords only if you find out that the keywords you are using are not very good. Good keywords will show up somewhere in the Top Keywords section of the shop stats.

How to Use Keyword Research Tool for More Views: Google Adwords: https://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/etsy-seo-google-seo-copy-writing-small/discuss/17460113

Join my free Facebook SEO Group for SEO help, support and to learn more about SEO: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1686821111533696/

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: The First 6 Etsy SEO Basic Steps for Newbies

Thank you Mary for these posts, they are very helpful.
0 Likes

I LOVE this team, so many wonderful and helpful tips!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

As always very handy and informative
0 Likes
tombstonebead
Registered Buyer

I couldn't agree more.......very helpful and their FB page is great also.
0 Likes

Thanks again for this very useful information. Everyone should read this!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It is very tough to find the right keywords when other shops use the same. I used different keyword phrases for my listings and never saw this keyword phrases in a Top keywords of my Shop Stats! A lot of shops use very popular keyword "flower girl dress" and I'm NOT in the top 500 listings results! So sad!
0 Likes

Thanks for the tips! Very useful! :)
0 Likes

Thanks so much for all your fantastic tips :)
0 Likes

Great tips!
0 Likes

Hi Mary! I just joined your team, although been working on SEO since I opened my shop in 2008. I need some updating and fine tuning for sure, as things internally with Etsy seemed to have changed beginning of April. Anyway, I found an old thread of yours from 2013, about Myths and Facts of SEO, and read every word of it. HOWEVER, now I am worried that some of the info is outdated, and has changed. HELP! What has changed since then, if anything??? Thanks so much for all you do for this team and us Etsy sellers!!! :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.