Former_Member
SEO Myth or Truth: Photos should be named before uploading to Etsy or a stand alone website.

Naming photos is good if the name remains with the photo when it is uploaded but Naming photos can be a waste of time . . . . .

On Etsy, this is a myth. Etsy changes the name of every photo that is uploaded into a long string of letters and numbers to store in their giant database of over 30 million photos. The name of the photo that the seller asigns does not remain on Etsy.

On a stand alone website, depending on the web hosting service, the photo name might remain the same or it might be changed by the web hosting service. The name of the photo is kept for stand alone self-hosted websites. There are a few web hosting services that are NOT self hosted, such as Volusion, that change the name of the photo when it is uploaded to a string of letters and numbers for their database.

Google and other major search engines use the image ALT tag to identify what the contents of the photo and uses this information for SEO, images searches and for Accessibility reasons.

For SEO, every photo should have an ALT Tag that includes the keywords for that image. The ALT tag is not visible on the web page but can be seen in the source code for web page..
On Etsy, the ALT tag is for each image is created by Etsy from the listing title. Sellers do not have to be concerned about the ALT tag, only the keywords that are added to the listing title.

On stand alone websites, the website owner (YOU), has to add the ALT tag keywords to each photo. Web hosting services, such as Shopify and Weebly, provide a way to add the ALT tag. Wordpress websites can add SEO apps, such as Yoest, that can guide the website owner with SEO including ALT tags.

Name the photo for your own website if you know that name will remain with the photo. Do not name photos used on Etsy since the name does not remain with the photo.

Join my active Facebook SEO Salon to learn more about SEO for both Etsy and your own websites - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1686821111533696/
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: SEO Myth or Truth - Naming Photos

Do not spend time naming photos for Google that you are only uploading to Etsy. Etsy does replace the name you assign to the photos with a photo id for their database, which is a long string of letters and numbers.

Google uses the ALT tag that Etsy creates from the listing title to identify the content of the photos. Use good descriptive keywords in the listing title and your images will be found in Google image searches.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Myth!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

What is a myth, Patrick?
0 Likes

Thank you .
0 Likes

I am starting to run my shop again, it was on its own for a year. Are the postings of products a example of what your talking about or just something people do on this team? Thanks for the information
0 Likes
thehobotrain
Registered Buyer

Hi Vintify! Which postings are you referring to? And what info are you looking for? Let me know and hopefully I can help clear things up. Thanks!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

No-one should be posting links to products on most of the threads on this team. Those are unauthorized promotions and you can flag a post like this to alert admins to remove the post.
0 Likes

Hi
Please help me
I don't know much about SEO and words like alt tag etc so I don't have any other website and I only sell on Etsy please tell me.
giving title same as tags is enough (what I have heard) to get on Search results
2 changing title of same listing with synonyms is ok or Etsy store names with some different Algo.
Please suggest
Thanks
0 Likes
thehobotrain
Registered Buyer

Hi Sumitra! Yes, it is recommended to use the same keyword phrases in the titles as in the tags. You do not need to know anything about alt tags for Etsy. I'm not sure I understood your second question. If you could clarify and post below, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks!! ♥
0 Likes

How do you create an alt tag for a standalone website?
0 Likes

to here
0 Likes

A question about titles.

We are now supposed to use "speaker friendly" titles instead of keywords listed with commas.  In eRank it says something like "your title looks like it's written for a computer".  So now if you put descriptive keywords at the beginning, the word for the item you're listing is actually 4-5 words later in the title.  Ex:  Hand knit all natural linen cotton summer scarf   Does it matter your "scarf" is the last word?

Also, Does it hurt you to put small functor words like "in", "with" etc.  Ex.  Knitted slouchy beanie hat with pom pom

Thanks!

0 Likes

My friends etsy shop owners recommended this guy https://bit.ly/2IC2Zyn to increase etsy sales He really helps!

0 Likes

My friends etsy shop owners recommended this guy https://bit.ly/2IC2Zyn to increase etsy sales He really helps!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.