Former_Member
PUNCTUATION IN LISTING TITLES

There are misunderstandings about punctuation such as commas, dashes, slashes, pipes, etc in titles that seem to be creating anxiety for sellers on Etsy.

The article about about pipes, "|", ( http://blogs.iit.edu/iit_web/2013/04/01/seo-title-tags-pipes-hyphens-commas-or-underscore/) refers to the TITLE TAG, not the heading title, such as the listing titles on Etsy. The TITLE TAG is a snippet of information in the source code that is not visible on the Web page. The TITLE TAG is for Google and Yahoo and other search engines.

ON ETSY, the TITLE TAG is created by Etsy by copying the first 40+ characters of the listing title into the TITLE TAG. Etsy sellers add punctuation to make the listing title readable to the shoppers. Etsy usually drops all the punctuation we add and uses the space left behind by moving the two adjoining words closer together. ON ETSY, it does not matter which punctuation is used since Etsy usually drops it before copying the words into the TITLE TAG.
A listing title that looks like this:
"Blue Topaz Dangle Earrings / Sterling Silver Earrings / Gemstone Jewelry / Gift for Her"
becomes this TITLE TAG (66 character limit, whole words only, includes shop name):
<title>Blue Topaz Dangle Earrings Sterling Silver Earrings by MyShopName</title>

ON ETSY, always, always, include one space before OR after all punctuation. Since Etsy removes the punctuation and then moves the two adjoining words together, you could wind up with joined words that mean nothing to Google. Search engines use spaces to know where one word ends and another begins.
A listing title that looks like this:
"Blue Topaz Dangle Earrings/Sterling Silver Earrings/Gemstone Jewelry/Gift for Her"
becomes this TITLE TAG (66 character limit, whole words only, includes shop name):
<title>Blue Topaz Dangle EarringsSterling Silver EarringsGemstone by MyShopName</title>

ON YOUR OWN WEBSITE, The item (listing) title is usually created separate from the TITLE TAG and again, it does not matter which punctuation you use. In fact, on your own website it is better to use only one or two keywords in the listing title. The TITLE TAG is created separately with or without punctuation and can include more keywords than the item (listing) title. Using no punctuation in the TITLE TAG gives equal weight to all the words.

Re: PUNCTUATION IN LISTING TITLES

this is very clear! Thank you
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Perfect info:) Thanks You!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much for this great information. I always put a space after the ccomma but not before. Perhaps this is why I am not getting the Seo I am hoping for. Will have to ix.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jennifer,

You only need to use one space before OR after all punctuation. The punctuation is not the reason you are having trouble with SEO.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Okay thank you. At least I don't have to do all the correcting that I thought I did.

0 Likes

Thank you Mary.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.