Former_Member
ASK SEO AND RELEVANCY QUESTIONS HERE FOR YOUR ETSY SHOP OR YOUR OWN WEBSITE

READ THROUGH OUR LAST Q&A THREAD IF YOU LIKE, OR JUST POST YOUR QUESTION ON THIS THREAD:

https://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-etsy-shops/discuss/12972720/

### PLEASE DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.WITH YOUR QUESTIONS ###

DO NO POST ANY PROMOTIONS ON THIS THREAD. YOU CAN USE ONE OF OUR PROMOTION THREADS FOR YOUR OWN PROMOTIONS.

WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU WITH ANSWERS WITHIN 24 HOURS, USUALLY SOONER.

Re: NEW: SEO and Relevancy Q & A Discussion

Jump to solution
Thank you Mary for your help. What course you recomend to learn Adwords?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Mary, thank you for your team, it's very helpfully!
I would like to have your opinion about the keywords in my titles.
Could you give me a bad and a good example of my listings.
Thank you in advance.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi all,

I'm trying to do research on my keywords to see how they're performing. For each listing, I want to see which keywords people are actually searching for and which keywords aren't be searched at all. I'd like to see listing stats for all time, but when I check a listing's stats it only seems to be able to let me see it for the last 30 days max. I can see my stats for my shop for all time, but not per listing.

Anyone know how to find all-time stats for a specific listing?

Thanks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you, Mary. I truly appreciate your assistance -- this is al VERY new to me so I'm happy to have found some help! I will definitely be working on all of your suggestions and tips this weekend/week and will post again once I've gotten everything set.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Elena,

I noticed that you only use European ring sizes. A size 12 in Europe is a size 6 in the United States. Shoppers from the U.S. who read the description of your rings will think that the rings are too big for them. You should include the U.S. ring size in each listing.

Here is a International Ring Size Conversion Chart on this website: http://www.ringsizes.co/

Some of the keywords you are using are okay but you should find more keywords to add to each listing.

Same advice I give everyone:

You can do much better with that will help your listings get more views from Relevancy searches if you use keywords that shoppers use in the listing titles and tags of your listings

To improve titles and tags so that they really make a difference in views and sales, do the following:

1. Brainstorm for keywords: ask family, friends, customers, team members etc for words they would use if they were searching for items like yours. If you need more ideas from more people, I highly recommend this free Facebook group that you can join and get help with keyword ideas from other Etsy group members: www.facebook.com/groups/TheJoyfulEntrepreneur/

2. Take the list of keyword ideas to Google Adwords Keyword Planner to see which of these keywords are used by shoppers. Google will show you how popular or not each keyword is and make more suggestions.

3. Find at least one targeted long tail keyword phrase and 2 or 3 general keyord phrases that are a good fit for each of your listings. An example of a long tail keyword phrase would be "long black bead necklace." An example of a general keyword phrase for the same listing would be "beaded necklace."

4. Come back to this team thread when you are done and let us see what you came up with for your listings.

5. This tutorial on our SEO Team gives step by step instructions for using Google Adwords Keyword Planner: https://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-beginner-and-advanced/discuss/13988472

You might have to create a Google ad as part of setting up an account. Pause the ad right away so that it never runs. You can then use the Keyword Planner as much as you like to research keywords. Google will never bill you for an ad that never runs. I have over 30 ads that have been paused for more than 5 years and use Keyword Planner almost daily.

Remember to come back and let us know what you found doing your keyword research.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Tania,

You can see All Time stats for each listing in Listing Manager.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Mary,
Great to read all the advise.
I started a few months ago, had some sales but really like to know if I can improve in some way's to get more views and sales...

Could you have a look please.
Thanks
Martine
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Martine

Your photos are very nice. Shoppers like to see baby hats and other clothes worn by babies. I suggest adding one photo of a baby or child wearing each piece, like the ones you see in these listings:
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=baby%20hat

Add the words "baby hat" to each listing for a baby bonnet:
This is what baby hats look like:
This is what baby bonnets look like:

Your listings could use more keywords that shoppers use.

To improve titles and tags so that they really make a difference in views and sales, do the following:
1. Brainstorm for keywords: ask family, friends, customers, team members etc for words they would use if they were searching for items like yours. If you need more ideas from more people, I highly recommend this free Facebook group that you can join and get help with keyword ideas from other Etsy group members: www.facebook.com/groups/TheJoyfulEntrepreneur/
2. Take the list of keyword ideas to Google Adwords Keyword Planner to see which of these keywords are used by shoppers. Google will show you how popular or not each keyword is and make more suggestions.
3. Find at least one targeted long tail keyword phrase and 2 or 3 general keyord phrases that are a good fit for each of your listings. An example of a long tail keyword phrase would be "long black bead necklace." An example of a general keyword phrase for the same listing would be "beaded necklace."
4. Come back to this team thread when you are done and let us see what you came up with for your listings.
5. This tutorial on our SEO Team gives step by step instructions for using Google Adwords Keyword Planner: https://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-beginner-and-advanced/discuss/13988472

You might have to create a Google ad as part of setting up an account. Pause the ad right away so that it never runs. You can then use the Keyword Planner as much as you like to research keywords. Google will never bill you for an ad that never runs. I have over 30 ads that have been paused for more than 5 years and use Keyword Planner almost daily.

Remember to come back and let us know what you found doing your keyword research.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you Mary! Getting to it and when I'm finished I'll get back here!
Have a nice day!
Martine
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Mary,
can you give me your own opinion about my titles, my tags, and my descriptions?
SEO is still a mystery to me, I'm trying to do my best but I know there are many mistakes.
Thank you in advance, have a great day.
Liana
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Mary,

There are many forum threads here that work to collect more views and favs for your shop/item. But I read it somewhere that Etsy search actually does not take into consideration view count or favs count for ranking. Is this true? If yes, why are there so many people doing it? In the stats page it is clearly visible where the views came from, so I am thinking that Etsy knows it very well that these are not organic reaches. For that, maybe it even penalizes these people, no?

From all these community based efforts when we try to help each other out, is there any one that actually helps/works? Treasuries, views, favs, anything?

Thanks very much for your reply.

Best,

Gabor
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you, Mary. I truly appreciate your assistance , this is new to me so I'm happy to have found some help.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Mary, I have been working on my store and particularly SEO for the last 6 months - I was showing up quite well in searches but have suddenly dropped off (particularly with my clip art) Would love any advice you may give me.
Thanks Jeanette
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Liana,

Your shop looks very good. You are using good keywords that shoppers use. I would add one very general keyword phrase to every listing in your shop.

For the smaller items add the words "small leather goods" and for the larger items, add the words "leather goods." These keywords are more popular with shoppers than the targeted keywords you are using and should increase the views for all of your listing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Gabor,

Etsy does not count views or faves for Relevancy rankings. Playing the faves games and getting into a lot of treasuries keeps people busy and connected to each other.

Finding and promoting to your target market and SEO work much better for converting views into sales but are a lot harder and take a lot more thought than playing games.

Etsy does know which views and faves come from organic searches and which come from games sellers play but does not punish anyone who plays these games. Etsy just ignores all this activity.

Using keywords that shoppers use and sales are used to determine rankings on Etsy. The more you sell, the higher your listings will be displayed in the rankings for the keywords you use.

This is the basic formula to SEO success on Etsy. Period.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Jeannette,

The SEO in your shop looks good. You are using several general keywords that are extremely popular with shoppers such as Clipart and Clip Art. These keywords are also very popular with other Etsy sellers. Your small shop with very few listings using these keywords is getting lost far back in the search results.

As sales accumulate for you, your listings will be shown higher and higher in the Relevancy search results. Sales are used by Etsy to determine rankings. Listings from newer and smaller shops with few sales are sometimes shown briefly in the Relevancy search results but are only kept there if they start selling a lot.

For more views and sales now, add at least one targeted (long tail) keyword phrase to each listing, such as "animal clip art", "dog clip art", "clip art borders", "flower clip art" etc. These targeted keywords will work to bring in views and sales now. As sales accumulate, the rankings of all the clip art listings will go up higher in the search results as well until your listings are eventually ranking high for very, very popular keywords such as "clip art."

Use Google Adwords Keyword Planner to find targeted keywords for your listings. Change the Keyword Options from "Broad Keyword Ideas" to "Only show ideas closely related to my search terms" to see all the keywords using "clipart' and "clip art".

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Mary, thank you very much for your important advice.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Mary thank you so much for you suggestions... I will work on your advice straight away.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Mary....for a pair of earrings, when working with google adwords, I type in the things I think will work...always using the word 'earrings' i.e. blue drop earrings, lapis lazuli earrings etc. However, when doing your title, is it bad if you repeat the word earrings, say, three times in the title or is it preferable to just have a string of adjectives with 'earrings' at the end....like this:
small royal blue drop lapis lazuli earrings.

And do you aim for using keywords with all levels of adword response results....390, 800, 4000, 16000??? At one point I remember hearing aim for keywords with 800-1000 searches?? My searches with these results always included the word "earrings"....that's why I was asking the above:) Thanks in advance...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Mary, could you please help me?
I just opened my shop a month n half ago and I'm wondering if my shop sections are ok? Also some of my items get good traffic and some almost zero! Is it because of the title/tags or its just this slow season?

Thanks a lot for the help^^
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Mary, I am continuing to get Google views as never before since working on my SEO - Thanks!

I should know this, but still a little grey area for me: I have the same wonders as Barbara - Touch of Silver above...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Barbara.

On Etsy it is best to use whole keyword phrases that shoppers use even if those keywords look repetitious to human eyes. It is okay to use the same keyword several times in each listing.

Choose keywords by how relevant they are to your listing, not by search numbers.

Use at least one targeted long tail keyword phrase and 2 or 2 general keywords in each listing title. Targeted keywords are not used as often as general keywords but do convert views into sales at a higher rate.

Keywords with hundreds of views are also good to use but have much more competition from other Etsy shops and will take much longer to move up in the Relevancy search results.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Jane,

You should use keywords that shoppers use in every part of your shop, including the shop title, section names and listing titles and tags. You can find the keywords that shoppers use with a keyword research tool like Google Adwords Keyword Planner. https://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-beginner-and-advanced/discuss/13988472

Use this article on how to use Keyword Planner -
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Patricia,

Awesome to hear that your views keep going up. You are on the right path.

Please read my response to Barbara above about choosing keywords.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.