Former_Member
Not applicable

Etsy's New Pattern Website Option

Jump to solution
I would not use this even if it was free. Here is why:

I took a look at this to see how the Pattern websites are structured. The website is part of Etsy and is so deeply embedded within Etsy that it would be very hard for the search engines to even find it. All SEO would have very little effect in Google rankings.

Look at the URL address and count the number of slashes ("/") https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/me/pattern/home. There are five slashes which means that the website is 5 levels deep and each level deeper makes it harder for SEO to work and for the search engines to find your shop. these are also powered by Etsy.

The website depends on Etsy and if anything happens to Etsy or Etsy removes your shop for some reason, the website is also gone.

There are so many better options for stand-alone websites. Use a different Web hosting service, if you would like your website to be easily found in Google searches and for all your SEO efforts to work.

I like Etsy for many reasons but this new venture is not very good for Etsy sellers.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Etsy's New Pattern Website Option

Jump to solution
Every page of every website should have a unique title tag as well as a unique meta description tag. Etsy's Pattern does not include a meta description tag and the main shop page and every section / category page title tag is "shop Shop YourEtsyShopName's store". I could not find a way to change the title tag to include keywords. This is also very bad for SEO. The title tags for the listing pages are all the same: "Etsy Pattern: Design your own website, powered by your Etsy shop." These are website SEO basics that should be included but are not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Susan,

Adding your own domain name is adding a "mask" that disguises the real structure of the Pattern website. It does not change the structure itself.

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I signed up for the free Pattern website test just to see how everything looked and worked.

The real URL changes to http://myetsyshopname.patternbyetsy.com/. This makes my shop a subdomain of the patternsbyetsy.com domain. Not quite as bad as originally thought but there is still the important issue of a complete lack of even basic website SEO.

0 Likes
92 Replies

Jump to solution
Mary, If all the Etsy shops and Pattern websites are on the same Etsy servers, what is the point of the website? Besides, I thought Google will block duplicate website content.

Since Etsy has been rolling out all the new seller services, you have to pay to be seen on Etsy's search. So Pattern is their new seller service for $15.00 a month plus the 3.5% transaction fee. You have to have Direct Checkout in order to have a Pattern website so you can tack that fee on as well. So when you list in your Etsy shop at $0.20 a listing that will be added to the tab of the Pattern website. The only one who will be making money is Etsy.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Donna, do you have a link for the new seller services? I must have missed that. Thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you Mary! I have been trying to warn people off of this all day and shop owners have their Etsy blinders on and jumping in one after the other. I have finally decided to stop warning and just set back and watch what happens. It isn't gonna be good :(

I cannot believe that Etsy is wording it as a "standalone website" A Completely False Statement on their part!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you for this you have saved me time as I will not be looking at Pattern now.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Dona,

You are spot on right.

With Pattern, SEO for the seller's website is not a concern for Etsy. How many Etsy sellers do you think know enough about website architecture to easily see that this is not a good option for their own website?

Duplicate content would be a big problem on Google. Duplicate content would relegated to the back end of search results by Google.

Etsy will make out well financially but it's hard to see how the sellers will benefit from this.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for your keen insights on this...and I rather thought it really didn't make sense...at least on an intuitive level, Happy to know an expert has the knowledge to say why!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
WELL, I WAS FOOLISH ENOUGH TO TRY THE 30 DAY FREE TRIAL BUT NOW YOU MADE IT VERY CLEAR WHY I SHOULD NOT DO THIS AND FOR THAT I THANK YOU SO MUCHBUT NOW HOW DO I CANCEL IT ?
HAVE A BLESSED DAY.
GORDON
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you so much Mary!!!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi there
Could Dona or someone, show me where to find info about this?
"Since Etsy has been rolling out all the new seller services, you have to pay to be seen on Etsy's search. "
It is something I was not aware of.
Mary, Your point about Pattern & SEO is well taken.
0 Likes
BlueBoatStudios
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I thought you could use your own domain with a Pattern site?
0 Likes
TidBitz
Post Crafter

Jump to solution
The timing of this is very um, shady? With so many sellers complaining that the "new" format is less than appealing for so many reasons, and now this is offered? It's being billed as fully customizable, unlike our Etsy shops. So, if you hate the new format of Etsy, you can pay for the "stand alone" clone one.

It's just so weird that there was no announcement that is was coming.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Mary, thank you for your analysis on this new frippery courtesy of our friends at Etsy.
I really appreciate your hard work and efforts on our behalf.

Kind regards,
Leslie

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you Mary once again for telling the truth on this.
I am disappointed in Etsy for how they are trying to market this thing.
I would like to know their angle on doing this at this time, seems to smell 'fishy'..
Marketing it as 'a stand alone site' seems an outright falsehood..
0 Likes
BlueBoatStudios
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I dove a little deeper into the setup -- it looks like if you want to use your own domain you can, they provide the ip address and other info you need to set it up on your domain provider's end. They're using subdomains for the actual site URLS, so your domain will be youretsyshopname.patternbyetsy.com -- not quite as bad as being buried 5 levels deep. That being said, it's still a website owned and operated by Etsy, not an independent site.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Really great info. Thank you!
0 Likes

Jump to solution

If you purchase the pattern site along with dot com or whatever you choose ( btw you only pay once a year for that domain ext.)

you will have a website like:

the name of your shop.com

it’s like any other website you build through any other site like GoDaddy or Wix, or Weebly. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you for posting this.
I've come to the same conclusion, but as you say, so many have their blinders on.
;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Yes, this is not good, but I have been taken for a ride with http://shopial.com.
Trying to get more sales from Pinterest. In the trial, I actually got some sales and after I paid for the first year none whatsoever.

I asked for a refund and they do not refund. Typical!
I should have looked at the reviews first. ONE lousy review, which is positive. Supposedly the company is in business for a "few" years.

Oh well, you win some and loose some.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for the warning and the info - why do places like Etsy shoot themselves in the foot being greedy?
I knew once they went public that they would start doing things to only benefit them not us. Big Companies always forget the crucial fact - we help make them not the other way around.
It makes me sad. I really like my stores on Etsy.

I use Etsy and not a website - I never really wanted both. Etsy worked really well for me - I hope that doesn't remain past tense.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thanks Mary. As usual you are a valuable resource.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you so much Mary - as always - for your comments on this. May I copy this thread to a thread in the main forums?And to another team I am on where they are discussing this?
I implicitly trust your opinion :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank You Mary, as always, you are such a big help.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
So great to read this information thanks Mary. I was a bit sceptical when I saw the new pattern website option.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thanks for the great information and all your hard work keeping everyone up to speed.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.