Etsy testing localized search for Canada?

Jump to solution
Etsy seems to be testing localized search for Canada (as Australia, France, Germany & UK already have); I started a thread here:
www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/18312739/page/1

That means Canadian buyers will see mostly Canadian items at the top of search (unless they do a really niche search). Remains to be seen if this is a test or a bug, though (test, or actual roll out, is my guess)

is anyone else seeing this, or are you seeing it in any countries other than the 5 I just mentioned?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Etsy testing localized search for Canada?

Jump to solution
It is permanent for Canada now:
https://www.etsy.com/help/article/34234144469

I am still seeing testing for Spain, & had recently seen testing for the Netherlands & Italy, but they haven't been added to the list yet.

My jewellery shop saw a drop in Canadian sales during the testing. I suspect smart shoppers will just turn it off (by switching the "ships to" filter from Canada).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
ClosetGothic
Community Curator

Jump to solution
Keep us posted here too please Cindy. I'll check my Search right now.

No, I'm seeing listings from all over.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
ok, good to know! I am not seeing it for any other countries, when I change my "ships to" filter, but there could be more than one test.
0 Likes
ItsVera
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution
I have received a few more Canadian orders lately, hmmmm
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Is it possible anymore to not have one's location listed -- or to just have "country" listed and not city?
0 Likes
ClosetGothic
Community Curator

Jump to solution
For Etsy search reasons, it is always best to choose your location from the drop down menu, Flockof.
0 Likes
ClosetGothic
Community Curator

Jump to solution
You used to be able to write whatever you liked for location but I'm not sure if that's still possible - it's certainly not advisable!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
someone else has found localization testing for Spain now as well:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/18312739/page/1?post_id=358405128
which I was able to confirm in one browser

I am also seeing some evidence that Etsy is finally rolling out the primary colour attribute; up til now, I had only seen evidence of the occasion attribute. So please note that these changes will affect your search results; if checking for localization, pick phrases without colour or occasions included.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Just tested on computer in Firefox, Safari and Chrome. I am only seeing localized Canadian results in Chrome, so it must be a test.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thanks Janne -- but since most of my sales are NOT to Canada, I do not want to be pigeonholed to Canadian-only shoppers, and shut out from the rest of the world. I am trying to figure out a way to circumvent Etsy's determination to put up national borders between us.

I have loved Etsy for being a showcase to international shoppers, but, unless I've misunderstood, this latest search localization algorithm will do just that. Have I misunderstood?

MM/FoTC (hoping I've misunderstood ;)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I was horrified when this was switched on in the UK as large proportion of my sales were to the US. I need not have worried as I still sell the same amount but now 75% of my buyers are within the UK. I still get international orders so am not completely invisible to the rest of the world!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Today I am seeing localized searches for :

Canada
Spain
Italy
The Netherlands

I am only checking the "top" Etsy countries, so there could be more, although I am also monitoring the forum & social media for more reports & have not seen any other countries mentioned yet.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
MM - I hope we've both misunderstood too!!

Most of my customers are not from Canada so I wouldn't want to become somewhat *invisible* internationally :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
If Etsy goes with localized search in Canada, that will not change how Canadians are seen in any other country.

BUT there are already 4 other countries where local items get preference in larger searches, so if they keep adding more countries to the list, yes, that WILL reduce your visibility elsewhere.

A key to avoiding becoming invisible is to make sure you are optimized for lots of niche searches. The localization effect is strongest in larger searches; niche searches will almost always show top items from other countries on the first page, as there won't be enough items in the country to match the query.

It is legitimate for Canadians to worry about this, especially if you don't ship things that fit through the slot of doom. The Bugs thread on this matter was started by a buyer who expressly stated she didn't want to pay the high domestic shipping costs, so she hated this change. She won't be alone. This could drive some Canadians to stop shopping here. I am certainly very unhappy as a buyer
0 Likes

Jump to solution
It is permanent for Canada now:
https://www.etsy.com/help/article/34234144469

I am still seeing testing for Spain, & had recently seen testing for the Netherlands & Italy, but they haven't been added to the list yet.

My jewellery shop saw a drop in Canadian sales during the testing. I suspect smart shoppers will just turn it off (by switching the "ships to" filter from Canada).
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for posting Cindy.

I used to get quite a few sales to Australia and UK. They have virtually stopped since localization started.
1 Like

Jump to solution
I think that I get fewer international sales now due to the US dollar, because they were affected across the board a few years back, not just in countries with localized search.

UK & Australia are still 3rd & 4th on my orders list after the US & Canada, & France is 5th. I assume my style doesn't play well in Germany because I get a fair amount of visits from them, but almost never get sales. I had as many sales to Germany in the last 12 months as I did to each of Algeria, Malaysia & Russia. (thank you new stats for that tidbit! LOL)
0 Likes
ClosetGothic
Community Curator

Jump to solution
Cindy - just out of interest, did Canadian sellers actually get a heads-up that this was happening and/or now permanent?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
nope, I discovered it when checking the search help file. I do have it everywhere I check, too, instead of just some browsers.

We never even got a heads up it was being tested, which fits with their statement that they aren't announcing search tests any more.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.