ViaLove
Crafty Poster

How come we can't use PayPal for deposit?

Does anyone know if it's possible to have our deposits made into our PayPal account? Having the funds deposited into my bank account messes things up as all my business related expenses are kept in my PayPal account for easy accounting.

If not, do you know if it will ever be possible to have our funds put into our PayPal account?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies
ohmama
Post Crafter

Re: How come we can't use PayPal for deposit?

As you probably already know, if the buyer makes the purchase using paypal, it will go into that account. If they make it through direct checkout, it will not.

I suppose you could send yourself money by making a deposit into that paypal account? Not sure that would be a good idea though as you would probably be charged a fee? I think a lot of sellers have a separate business account for direct checkout deposits and keep track of it that way.
0 Likes
ViaLove
Crafty Poster

Probably not...I am answering my own question...But I did find a lot of good info in this link. Guess I have no other choice but to open another bank account for my business.
http://www.etsy.com/teams/11969/direct-checkout/discuss/10975561/
0 Likes

The biggest reason why you shouldn't do it is because you would get double charged. That can really add up.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Anyone who has a business needs a separate account for that business. Ask your accountant...you need to keep all moneys separate for tax purposes. If you sell enough to make it worthwhile, you would want to itemized your deductions which means you need to keep track of expenses and profits. Also, having an accounting software allows you to look at your profit and loss statement to help you analyse your business practices to make sure you are charging enough to recoup the cost of goods sold, to cover sales taxes remitted quarterly, etc. If your shop is very successful, you might even consider incorporating yourself for tax benefits and then you would definitely need a separate account because the corporation becomes a separate entity. You can keep money in PayPal and can even deposit money into and withdraw money out of your PayPal account. Because you are going to encounter fees whichever route you take, remember that you can also open a PayPal "credit card" and use it for all your business expenses and income and it will provide you with a statement each month. But check the APR first.
0 Likes

PayPal is not a bank so etsy cannot deposit our money there
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

But YOU can. I have done it so I know it is possible. If someone pays for an item using PayPal they will retain your funds for your use later or they will deposit into a bank for you. Or you can deposit directly or redirect your funds into PayPal. You can instruct your bank to redirect deposited funds from Etsy into your PayPal account, but there will be a fee. Or you can do it yourself online.
0 Likes

Paypal is not a bank and they are also controlled by ebay. The only way to add money to that account is through the Moneypak system which will include fees.
I had the same issues with expenses and spending for the direct checkout funds and not having as much to work with in my Paypal account for spending. The best solution for me was to request a debit card from the bank where the funds were deposited and use it for some of my purchases. Every store takes it and many websites will allow a second card listed on file for payments.
Hope that helps....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Keeping money in a paypal account is asking for trouble one day. Google "Paypal problems" and you will see that thousands of people have had issues with them freezing accounts, and keeping them from their money.

As Chuck said, a debit card from you bank account is the best solution, and don't transfer to the same bank account as you do your paypal money.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.