Feedback on printing postage

Just did my first set of mailing labels, and there are a few kinks to be worked out. 1) Not sure if I saw an option for adding insurance, but we definitely need that. 2) It would also be nice to be able to do multi-order shipping rather than doing each one individually. 3) the screen on our sales receipt shows the cost of shipping, but if one prints the receipt, it's not there. I'd like to be able to have that evidence for my accounting records. 4) Finally, I hope that the administrators will be able to figure out how to get label printing to work with firefox. I couldn't even download the label in firefox. I ended up copy pasting the url into google chrome and was able to get to it that way.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies

Re: Feedback on printing postage

One other thing for the administrators - the program doesn't tell us what the cost will be until we've hit the pay button. We should know what we're spending before we Ok an expenditure. If somebody mistakenly hits the wrong service or weight, that could be quite costly!
0 Likes

Marty, you can check your etsy bill to see how much the shipping cost after it disappears from the sold page.

I am happy with the service, although you do have some good points that have been brought up before, so hopefully they are working on them.

If you can't download the label, they also email it to you. I use chrome and have no problem downloading
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Marty I use Firefox and have not had any problems printing shipping labels. I hope you get it figured out.
0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

As far as insurance goes, I wouldn't purchase usps insurance. Not only is it more expensive than shipsurance.com but the coverage is not as good.

I have the same problem with printing a label when I'm on firefox. I thought there was something wrong with my computer!

Till something changes, I go to the usps site to check what the postage cost will be and then know what to expect when I purchase the etsy label.
0 Likes

I had the same thing with firefox. I had to save the file then open with Acrobat Reader. At least there is a workaround and I'm okay with this step for now. I posted my own thread to Etsy about this point and they told me to use Chrome. I gave them a tiny earful about that was not acceptable when Firefox is one of THE major browsers. I won't go on my soap box about it here but if I find the link to that discussion I'll post here.
0 Likes

Here's the thread - Printing Lables - tiny trouble - had to save and go to Acrobat - you can read my response there.
0 Likes
rubyfloy
Inspiration Seeker

A lot of good points made here.
I didn't have any trouble printing the label, probably because I have Google Chrome, but I have a major problem with the existing funds not available for label printing. I drained my Paypal account paying off my etsy bill each time I needed to print a $11-$12 shipping label (I had 3 large boxes to mail). It seems etsy won't extend credit beyond $20 on mailing labels, so each time I set up a label, I got a message that said, "please pay your etsy bill to continue" (or something to that effect). DC is not great when your cash flow is poor. 5 of my 6 buyers used DC but 4 of my 6 buyers bought large items with high postage.
0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

From what I understand, your limit is raised each time you purchase a label?
0 Likes
DingandKennie
Inspiration Seeker

I have had DC for months but I don't see the shipping feature. Am I missing something?
0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

Lisa, join the shipping improvements team to get it.
0 Likes
DingandKennie
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks Mary
0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

Lisa, you can also ship using etsy for first class international packages when you join that team!
0 Likes
CutOutTheFun
Registered Buyer

mine only allows a $2 label purchase which is pretty worthless to me ;(

my bill is paid and that is what it says when i try to print a label...

any thoughts?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Mary I don't understand that at all. I'm not a very big seller and I have one of the lower shipping budgets, $10.00. But as long as my bill is under $10 I can print a label for whatever amount needed unless it will push my bill over $10. Then I would have to pay my bill down. This morning I was able to print an international label for $3.78. At the time my bill was just under $3.
0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

Mary, I think you should ask etsy about that. It doesn't sound right. I know when you pay for a label, your rate is increased for the next time, but $2 has to be an error. You can't ship anything for $2!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just used it for the first time.
Loved it! Easy to use and faster than logging on to PP.
0 Likes
DingandKennie
Inspiration Seeker

I used it yesterday without any issues however there are a few things I don't care for. First, I don't like not knowing how much my package is going to cost until after the fact and second, I don't like the charges being applied to my Etsy bill. Paypal allows you to know what the package will cost and I really don't mind using the Ship Now feature. Plus I would rathr pay the price up front and not have it lumped in to Etsy. Just my thoughts.
0 Likes
rubyfloy
Inspiration Seeker

Lisa, I completely agree with being able to "pay up front" for postage and not have it added to my etsy bill. Thankfully yesterday, of my 4 sales, 3 of the buyers used Paypal so I could pay my etsy bill down before I printed another large shipping label through DC.

I had no idea everyone's limit was different. Is that based on how long you'be been selling or amount of your feedback?
0 Likes
DingandKennie
Inspiration Seeker

Nathalie - I had a few more orders yesterday and I decided to give the shipping feature another whirl. Most of my postage is under $5.00. I think this feature is really growing on me. It's easy to use and really does save an extra step when notifying your buyer their package has shipped. My buyers paid with PayPal so I had to go in to PayPal and mark the item shipped. I haven't tried it for International but I think it will be a time saver especially since I don't have to go to the Post Office and stand in line! All in all I'm giving it a thumbs up :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.