Former_Member
Not applicable

Etsy Gift Cards are launching today!!

Jump to solution
We’re really happy to share that we’re launching Etsy Gift Cards today! We're posting in the Forums to announce in just a matter of minutes. (This info below is pretty much the same as the Forums announcement)

Over the course of today, you’ll start to see the “Gift Cards” link appear in the top header on Etsy. We’re letting you know in the Forums now so you will know what to expect, and once we’re at 100%, we have a blog post prepared that we’ll publish to share the announcement with everyone!

We’ll give you a quick overview of how Etsy Gift Cards will work now, and we’ll also have some in-depth Help articles if you are interested in the nitty-gritty details.

Buying a Gift Card

You can buy a gift card online, and send it directly to a friend via email. If you prefer to print one out to give as a gift in person, you can do that too. They’re available for anyone in the US to purchase by clicking on “Gift Cards” in the header of Etsy or going to etsy.com/giftcards. Once you’ve completed a purchase, you’ll get a confirmation email.

Redeeming a Gift Card

If you receive a gift card, you can redeem it by clicking on the “Redeem Now” button in the email notification when you receive the Etsy Gift Card. Or, you can redeem by clicking on “Gift Cards” in the header and typing in your redeem code. Once you’ve entered the code, your balance stays in your Etsy account and you can apply it whenever you purchase items.

Because Etsy Gift Cards and balances can only be used at Etsy shops that are enrolled in direct checkout, we’ve added some helpful ways to help buyers find items you want from eligible shops: search filters and a gift card icon in key places.

-Shoppers in the US can use the “Accepts Etsy Gift Cards” filters in search and browse.
-A gift card icon appears in a shop’s Payment Methods on the listing page and again when the item is added to the cart.
-If you have a gift card balance in your account, you’ll see the same gift card icon on all listings from accepting shops in search and in browse, as well under the “Add to Cart” button on the listing page.

Accepting Etsy Gift Cards

You will need to have direct checkout enabled in order to accept gift cards.

If you are a seller already enrolled in direct checkout, you’re all set — there’s nothing additional you need to do to accept Etsy Gift Cards in your shop, and you can process or refund these orders like you would any other direct checkout order.

One more thing! You should know that starting today, we’ll start ramping up sellers for next day funds availability. We know how important this change is for many sellers, particularly those of you with custom or made-to-order items in your shop. This feature will be available to all sellers that have a positive selling history on Etsy of at least 90 days or longer. It should be a couple weeks before everyone that is eligible has it.

As mentioned, everyone in the US will see Etsy Gift Cards available for purchase by the end of today! If you have questions, please let us know, we’ll be available to answer questions in the Forums today.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Etsy Gift Cards are launching today!!

Jump to solution
SewWriteCreations from SewWriteCreations says
I'm just wondering - most of my items are less than $25, will I still be able to accept a gift card, say for a $10 item, and have the customer retain the other $15 on her balance?

If so, will that be part of the notification process, so that buyers are aware and can feel more comfortable with the whole process, knowing they won't just lose $$?

And conversely, should I assume that a customer could purchase a $50 item with a $25 gift card and $25 on her own credit card?

Thanks!

____

Hi -
You'll definitely still be able to accept one. A buyer will use some of their balance on your item, and then have some left over in their account to spend on another item, or from another shop. When they purchase, a success message tells them what their remaining balance is on the card. A user's balance always appears, also, at the top of the page.

A customer can purchase a $50 item with a $25 GC and then use a credit/debit card for the remainder, yes.

Camilla

View solution in original post

0 Likes
27 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Sounds like a great idea. I recently saw things in a shop but wasn't sure which one the recipient woud like. Now I can buy a gift cert and tell her to pick from the shop I liked.

I sell Christening gowns and sometimes the mom picks the dress but someone else buys it. That could also be a situation where gift cards could work.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Awesome, thanks so much Etsy. I'm really looking forward this.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Great, perfect for the holidays
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Exciting!!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Awesome! Only great news for the holidays!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Any plans to offer different or lower (or fill in the blank) amounts for the gift cards? $25 seems a bit steep for a minimum.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Sarah!

Right now, the minimum amount is $25, but I'll pass along your feedback to the team. I'm glad you guys are excited about this! We are too :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Most people are going to shell out at least $20 for a gift card. I'd feel cheap if I didn't spend at least that much.

I'm VERY excited about this - all three of my shops are set up for DC and are ready to go. Bring it on!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I'm just wondering - most of my items are less than $25, will I still be able to accept a gift card, say for a $10 item, and have the customer retain the other $15 on her balance?

If so, will that be part of the notification process, so that buyers are aware and can feel more comfortable with the whole process, knowing they won't just lose $$?

And conversely, should I assume that a customer could purchase a $50 item with a $25 gift card and $25 on her own credit card?

Thanks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
SewWriteCreations from SewWriteCreations says

Thanks!

____

Hi -
You'll definitely still be able to accept one. A buyer will use some of their balance on your item, and then have some left over in their account to spend on another item, or from another shop. When they purchase, a success message tells them what their remaining balance is on the card. A user's balance always appears, also, at the top of the page.

A customer can purchase a $50 item with a $25 GC and then use a credit/debit card for the remainder, yes.

Camilla

0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

Jump to solution
Is $25 the only amount available for a gift card? Could someone purchase a card with a $100 balance on it?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Mary they are available for $25, $50, $100 and $250. There is also an option to contact Etsy if you want an amount higher than $250, such as for corporate gifts, etc.
0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

Jump to solution
That's good, thank you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Yay...this is awesome!! Thanks!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
L♥ve it!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Both very exciting! Thanks you for adding these features :D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Wonderful! I've just added gift packaging and my direct checkout is all ramped up to the 1 day deposit (which I love)! Bring on the holidays!
0 Likes
justByou
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Is there going to be an announcement to shoppers?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Sounds Great.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
YAY! How exciting. Thank You Etsy!
0 Likes
ohmama
Post Crafter

Jump to solution
So, as I understand it..... every time you buy a gift card for someone, you are entered in a weekly sweepstakes for a chance to win a prize of $250 in the form of an etsy shopping spree where you have to use that money to buy from shops that take the gift card?

Also, you cannot buy a gift card for yourself? Someone has to buy it for you. And you have to name the person you are buying the card for to prove that you are not buying it for yourself? Do I have that right?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Great feature! Anything that makes the buying experience easier will be great for sellers with DC. Thanks for offering it!
0 Likes
prettysensitive
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Are the Etsy gift cards only able to be purchased on etsy.com for now? Is there a plan to role them out to retail stores - like how you can buy facebook credit gift cards at grocery stores?

Just curious. And thank you for this all!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Sounds great. I'm very excited to be able to offer this. Thanks Etsy!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.