ClaybyStacia
Inspiration Seeker

Do I need both DC and Paypal?

I've had both direct checkout and Paypal as payment options for my shop for a while now, and more people tend to choose Paypal. I prefer that people use direct checkout, because the rates are better, and they automatically deposit the money in my bank account, instead of needing to request a deposit as Paypal does. Has anyone here dropped Paypal? Has that caused a decrease in sales?

Thanks!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
29 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Do I need both DC and Paypal?

Hi Stacia,

I set up my shop last January with PayPal, and added DC shortly after it was available. In my shop I notice that some of the people like to pay with DC when they buy from me. I have not dropped PayPal because I really enjoy it, and know that people (in my shop at least) still use it when checking out.

In my shop I like to give buyers the option of DC or PayPal, so they can pick whichever way is most convenient for them. Best of luck with your decision!
0 Likes

I think you do need both. You will find that a lot of sellers that buy from you will use PayPal, and a lot of people with buyer only accounts use direct checkout.

The fees are almost identical and both are easy to accept
0 Likes

I agree that you need to keep your PayPal account. To provide the best customer service, you need to consider what YOUR CUSTOMERS want, not what is easier or cheaper for you.
0 Likes
BlessedCatholic
Inspiration Seeker

I agree as well. Although, I hate PayPal! Too dang slow and clunky.
0 Likes

I like having some money in my PayPal acct to pay my etsy bill

I love the weekly deposits from DC . I find I spend less when I get a lump sum.
0 Likes

I 'm keeping both and I don't see any difference in time or %. It's about the same. Etsy DC is getting faster but it's still not same day. Paypal you get your $ right away if you have a Paypal debit card. I love paypal & DC is second.
0 Likes

For the sake of your customers I think keeping both is the best idea. If you don't offer PayPal how will customers who DON'T have a credit card have the option to make purchases from your shop?

For personal purchases ANY time on the web I use my Paypal account or my credit card to my PayPal account.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We have dropped paypal totally. Initially we just used paypal, then both DC and paypal, and now just DC. It has been a couple of months now, and I can honestly say, business has remained the same through all of the transition.

Feels good to leave paypal out of the mix. Just a few too many problems with them in the past 10 or so years. Those that have been there know what I mean. Those that consider them wonderful: be careful, and don't keep anything in the account that you can't afford to be without.

As far as paying your etsy bill, I just use a debit card from the checking account the money transfers into. Very simple solution.

For paypal lovers, they can still buy on DC with their paypal debit card.
0 Likes

I shop on Etsy for some supplies and gifts, and I am surprised at how many still have Paypal only. I like having both, and I've had some good sales from Paypal this holiday season.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm keeping Paypal because other people prefer to use it. I also prefer to use it to pay my Etsy bill. I like giving customers both options. I like having options too.

I too have had good sales paid through Paypal this holiday season. Right now it's running a bit ahead of DC. My largest Etsy order to date was paid via Paypal so I don't plan on dropping it at this point.
0 Likes

I know there are buyers out there that only want to use PayPal, they don't want to give their credit card info to Etsy directly.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

For me, the difference in fees for Paypal v DC aren't nearly enough to drop one or the other. Personally, I ALWAYS pay will Paypal when it's an option. I think it's a pain in the butt to have to get my card out when all of my info is already stored in Paypal.

You could think of it this way: Are you making enough more money via the fees you save using DC to recoup those sales you might lose by not offering Paypal?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We have been paypal free for about two months now and have been just fine. We have 1-2 questions per month about taking paypal and have converted them all into using DC instead. I think it is a matter of people being comfortable with what they have used and know works. Once someone tries DC, they seem to be good with it, as the fear is now over. Seems the same with sellers fears of trying it. It works well, I trust Etsy more than Paypal, and I would rather see Etsy profit than ebay/paypal.

Would it not seem very feasible for Etsy to go with DC exclusively on this site, and not allow Paypal. I would certainly think they would want to make all of the processing fees themeselves as well as be in control of all of the disputes. Might seem far fetched, but if Etsy is in this for the money, I really can't immagine it any other way. Can you see being able to use DC on ebay?? I think not, and I would not expect to see paypal/ebay here forever either. They are a necessary evil until DC goes world wide and works out all of their bugs and details, and then hopefully for Etsy they can keep all of the business in house.

I have posted this scenario a few different times, and have never heard admin say that this could not or would not ever happen. :-) So until then, we can only hope!!
0 Likes

I have kept the option open for customers that do not feel comfortable using direct checkout. I have received a lot of questions from customers asking if "Direct Checkout" was safe and trusted. Keeping PayPal has given me more sales personally.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I started out with Pay Pal and I added DC later. I like to give my customers options. Some customers do not have Pay Pal and others prefer to use DC.
0 Likes

I added DC in September & I love it! I am keeping both options available in my shop. Most of my payments are DC. And, I noticed lately that some of my sales are people new to Etsy & they almost always use DC. I like having the flexiblity for my customers in my shop. My sales picked up since I offered DC.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I keep both, I think that it is great to be able to give people the option of either or. I know personally I perfer to use PayPal when I purchase things on Etsy, and at a lot of other places online as well. I don't think that it hurts to have both options, but not having one of the options may hurt your sales.
0 Likes

There's something like 230 million people with PayPal accounts. It wouldn't be a wise business decision to dis-allow PayPal here.
0 Likes

I still like PayPal very much and think it has some nice features that DC does not offer--the foremost being telephone customer service for account holders. Seems there are plenty of shoppers that are still just fine with using PP as well.

The fees aren't that different, and, a bit surprisingly, since I activated DC in my shop I still receive more PayPal purchases than DC (approx 3 or 4 to 1).

Requesting a funds transfer isn't a bother for me at all. I prefer to keep funds in my PP account at all times. This doesn't work with the DC auto depositing which depletes my Shop Account balance here on Etsy.

But for my customers, options are a good thing so if that's what helps my bottom line I'll continue to use both PP and DC for now.
0 Likes
ClaybyStacia
Inspiration Seeker

I have decided to keep Paypal, mostly because if I need to send someone an additional invoice to upgrade shipping, I can do so with Paypal, but not Etsy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i only checkout with paypal because i have more faith in them. and you get your money instantly.

my customers can use either, but i prefer paypal and i always buy with paypal. i dont buy from shops that dont take paypal.

paypal is too me 10000X easier and safer than etsy. for example,

on friday i made a sale with etsy and still havent seen the money i made a sale on sunday with paypal from ebay, and i have seen and used that money for supplies that i have in my hands already.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

griffincat from griffincat says
We have been paypal free for about two months now and have been just fine. We have 1-2 questions per month about taking paypal and have converted them all into using DC instead. I think it is a matter of people being comfortable with what they have used and know works. Once someone tries DC, they seem to be good with it, as the fear is now over. Seems the same with sellers fears of trying it. It works well, I trust Etsy more than Paypal, and I would rather see Etsy profit than ebay/paypal.

Would it not seem very feasible for Etsy to go with DC exclusively on this site, and not allow Paypal. I would certainly think they would want to make all of the processing fees themeselves as well as be in control of all of the disputes. Might seem far fetched, but if Etsy is in this for the money, I really can't immagine it any other way. Can you see being able to use DC on ebay?? I think not, and I would not expect to see paypal/ebay here forever either. They are a necessary evil until DC goes world wide and works out all of their bugs and details, and then hopefully for Etsy they can keep all of the business in house.
----------
if etsy went dc only, i would just leave etsy.

i see no reason to trust etsy more than i am required to. and this point i am required to trust them so that i can accept etsy gift cards and people who dont like paypal. but i would not trust them to be both host my business and keep all of my money.

as i said, i am sale on friday with etsy and still dont have the money, and i made a sale with paypal on sunday and already have the supplies i bought in my hand.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was very reluctant to add DC to my two shops when it was first offered. It took some serious convincing before I finally took the leap. The main reason I did it was because research over the years clearly shows that the more options available, the more sales you will make. (If you want the source of that, I can find it, I just don't have it at hand at the moment.) There is no possible way to know if a sale was lost because PayPal or DC wasn't offered. No one is going to send you a message that you just lost a sale.

It's not good business sense to limit the options based on our own personal preferences. I've used DC long enough now that my money is available immediately without having to wait for the item sold to be shipped. So Etsy is improving in that regard. PayPal also offers immediately availability to transfer my funds or use my debit card. So to me, I see no real measurable difference.

I've also had a few problems with PayPal over the years, but they were immediately solved by picking up the phone and calling. You actually get a live person when you call who is friendly and knowledgeable (in my experience). You can't do that with Etsy.

If Etsy ever removed PayPal as an option to pay, they'd have a whole lot of unhappy campers! I wouldn't leave, at least not right away, but I would be very upset. Think about it...If that ever happened, what would stop them from raising their fees? What other option would you have?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I totally agree with everyone that says to have both Paypal and DC would be the best option, as it would cover all of your bases. I have many reasons for not trusting Paypal and NO reason not to trust Etsy, so the choice is easy for me.

I also believe in helping those that help me, and Etsy is helping me to sell here as well as make money. I would rather return the business to Etsy and let them make money on the processing.

Can you immagine how much money is being made in the money transfer business here? I would say lots of it, based on the dollar volume of sales here.

I am thinking that there is a strong possibility that if Etsy is making more money because of DC, then they may also advertise and promote Etsy more which could very well help my sales down the line. They do seem to do nothing but get better every month as it is. I doubt that paypal is doing anything to help anyone other than paypal and ebay, which does nothing for me.

I have been in business all of my life and it has always served me well to help those that help me, and that is one very big reason to help Etsy, as they have certainly helped me.

For those that do not trust Etsy, why are you here? To do buisiness with someone you do not trust, is also not a good situation, and the reason I do not use Paypal.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.