Former_Member
Not applicable

Tips needed for adjusting color

I have a Cannon T2i, and I have no idea what I'm doing! I'm taking a 6 week class starting next week!! Can't wait.

But my main issue in my photography is getting consistency in my colors. Since I sell different designs on the same material, this is really important.

This listing is all over the place:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/63750298/organic-bling-bling-custom-chain

I have started to adjust the white balance, but that doesn't always help me. (I think this listing was created before I knew how to adjust the white balance)

Am I on the right track with adjusting the white balance, should I now be doing something in photoshop? I try adjusting the levels, but that isn't always what I need.

Thanks
Nicole
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
17 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Tips needed for adjusting color

hi, i'd use full spectrum bulbs. if you are using full spectrum light bulbs for lighting, make sure other light sources are turned off and also make sure light isn't reflecting off colored objects near by.

my lighting gets like that when i forget to turn off other lights near by that aren't full spectrum. they change the color temperature of the lighting.

these are some links to full spectrum bulbs that fit into regular lighting fixtures.

Daylight Balanced Bulbs (Fluorescent) :

-x45 Watt Alzo Photo CFL 5500K 91 CRI,$49.95 pack of 4
http://www.amazon.com/ALZO-Digital-Full-Spectrum-Light/dp/B00198U6U6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=12972887...

-$25, 4 pack http://www.amazon.com/Full-Spectrum-Light-Bulb-Fluorescent/dp/B0018OS06S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-g...

-30 Watt Trumpet Top Bulb, $14.95 http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/spiral.html

-55 Watt Trumpet Top, $29.95
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/55watrtopbu.html

-14 Watt Spiral Top, $9.95
http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/13wasptop.html

with fluorescent, i'd buy from photo specialty outfits. you might not get the same result w/ a fluor. daylight balanced from a regular store. LOOK FOR "FULL SPECTRUM".
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks! I probably did have my main room light
on... I didn't even thing about that.

I have a few daylight lamps, but I don't think they are full spectrum! I'm actually almost positive they aren't!

Thanks again!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

sounds good. glad to have helped. :)
0 Likes

In photoshop, when you have pulled up levels, click the little white dropper, then click the area on your photo that should be white. This will adjust the white balance. This works best on photos with a white background.

I have a very old tutorial on my blog that shows this in action:
http://lapellaart.blogspot.com/2007/11/product-shots-for-not-so-dumb.html

I don't shoot my photos like this anymore, but the levels area is most helpful

If the white balance in levels overdoes it, just go ahead and click okay, then go under edit and choose "Fade Levels" and cracks it down until it looks right.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Lapella! I had just learned about the white dropper in levels, but like you said it didn't always work. I'll have to try the Fade Levels, I hadn't heard of that yet.

Thanks again.
0 Likes

I just took a quick glance at the tutorial, LaPellaPottery - looks awesome and I plan to come back and read more carefully later. Thanks for sharing!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

that's a great way to do it for corrections in photoshop.

i'd also suggest getting daylight balanced light bulbs (full spectrum) for shoots. the links are above. you don't have to color correct for cyan magenta or yellow then... or if you don't have photoshop.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info!! I really haven't used my photo shop to it's full capacity... I needed that tidbit!! and full spectrum light bulbs,,, even for photograghing glass??
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

yes, full spectrum bulbs will color correct for you. most cameras default to daylight.

if you don't use full spectrum bulbs then you can use that photoshop technique.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Scott Kelby does some excellent tutorial work on setting white balance and using RAW format.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=GVX-mWAYwIUC&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=custom+white+balance+kelby&source=b...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I haven't been shooting in RAW, but I might start. I'd like to use Lightroom instead of regular photoshop! My last photography class is this week, I've learned a lot and hope to put it to good use in my shop!

Thanks for the link.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Shoot in RAW format and take a reference picture of an 18% grey card prior to your shoot. When you get into Photoshop, adjust the first photo for that grey card to get your balance, then apply the same changes (in batch) to the rest of the photos in the session. They should all then be adjusted correctly.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you! I'll be trying that this weekend hopefully!
0 Likes

Thank You sooo much for the suggestion to use full spectrum bulbs.. I recently replaced my bulbs with full spectrum and I can now photograph even on cloudy days.. it works great with glass... catching the full array of colors!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

everything looks fantastic in your shop. i love the glass jewelry!
0 Likes

For RAW format, Canon's "Digital Photo Professional" software (bundled with the T2i) has good white balance adjustment capabilities. You can choose between the eyedropper, saved settings and camera presets, all after the photos have been imported.

RAW is also good when I need to make minor corrections to the exposure.

All this really helps with my work flow when I'm trying to get dozens of shots of my glass, in sequence, with various different lighting sources and conditions.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@JAglassworks - excellent recommendation. DigitalArtWorks mentioned it, too, if people have that setting on their camera.

a lot of folks are shooting with point and shoots. you can get amazing quality images with those, but they will not usually have the same options or the level of control that dslr. plus, there are a wide variety of photo software sellers utilize.

i've not tried canon's software. sounds interesting. i use photoshop for post production.

i light with full spectrum bulbs or fill with them if i'm outside. the results are consistent, though sometimes i'd like the light a little hotter than what i get. there are always pluses and minuses with everything.

:)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.