Former_Member
Not applicable

How did you make your first sale?

Jump to solution
Hi there Daily Etsy Sellers!

Browsing through the members list of our team and looking at all your lovely shops, I started noticing we are a very diverse group of shop owners. Some of us have been on Etsy for years, others are just starting off and have yet to make their first sale.

Let's start a discussion on making that first sale. We all know it's that one magical moment, just that one sale, we're all eagerly waiting for when just starting out on Etsy.

So let's share!

It doesn't matter whether you only had a couple of sales or hundreds: please share your 'first sale' experience so new shop owners can be inspired.

Here are some questions that could help share your story with us.

- What things did you try to make that first sale? Share your hustle!
- What effort do you think ultimately triggered it?
- How much time passed between opening your shop and making that sale?
- What lessons did you learn from making that first sale?
- If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?
- What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners?
- What do you think is the best path to follow in order to get that first sale?

I can't wait to hear about it!

- Deb
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How did you make your first sale?

Jump to solution
Please note this thread is NOT for promoting your listings, it is used to share stories and inspire others to get more sales.

Any responses with listings, coupons, shop links or other promotions will be removed. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1,139 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
My first sale took about 7 weeks to make. It was to a family friend who was admiring my new products every week on Facebook. My Etsy Facebook account has been a huge boost to my sales - it is a way that people connected to me in the real world can learn more about my craft and what I do on Etsy.

My first sale, accompanied by a good review, had a strong effect on my future sales. After two 5 star reviews, I started getting more sales from strangers. I think having at least 20 items in your shop, to show a variety of skills and understanding of your craft, as well as a history of views, favorites, sales, and reviews helps your shop really take off.

If could do it again, I would wait a few weeks longer to start promoting my shop. I would wait until I had better photos and a larger inventory to launch my Facebook and Pinterest and promo in the Etsy forums. My first few products and photos were not my most creative or best photographed and didn't show off my true skills and abilities.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
We made our first sale a day after we opened. It was totally random, and honestly, we had no idea what we were doing! It was a little vintage frog planter. When I heard the "cha ching!" I nearly flipped, acting much more crazy than a grown woman should act. :) We packaged that little frog so cute and with so much pride. We also sent the buyer a thank you card for the first sale and a million dollar chocolate bar. He left us a wonderful 5 star review saying, "thanks a million..."

I'm not sure what I would have done differently, other than work on my photography before posting some of those first items that I listed. (Something I still am working on with new {vintage} items too)

We are a bit different than some shops...we have had a "brick and mortar" store for 20 years. We have a decent following already on Facebook, Pinterest, our blog, and Instagram...so we weren't quite starting out as some shops are with no following at all. We are still very small though, compared to many shops on Etsy!

To new shop owners...don't get discouraged. Keep working on your listings, edit keywords and photography until you have the look you want...it may take time. Sales will come!

Cara

0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first sale and last so far was in 2011 few days after the shop was opened. I have been travelling around the UK and Europe and had no time to run my shop.

I would love to see my shop taking off eventually. I am putting lot of time on it and I believe in my art. I would like to ask you some advice to boost views in my shop. I see other shop owner having lots of visitors just after their listing is published.

can anyone review my shop and give feedback and tell me what I am doing wrong please? that would be very appreciate.

Thank you

R.Tommasini
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi
We are new at etsy
And even "newer" here :)

Our first sale happend about 2 weeks after starting our shop.
We sold some stuf at reduce price, and kept renew it every day
plus promoted it by paying to etsy to do it.

And even though we gave it so much attention, we couldn't believe our eyes when we got that first announcement : that we have a sale....

Actually we lost money on it, cause we paid so much to promote it, but the feeling was: happiness and success. (Some bubbling in the heart area :).

It was to a total stranger and that item was fragile so we were very concered too, wishing it to come as a whole....

We are still thinking about it as kind of magic, cause there are so many shops here...
So Why this buyer chose us?!
It still a mystery .

<3

Zehavit

0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first sale took maybe 3 weeks. My shop figures as if I opened it back in 2010, but I started listing in June 2014. My first sale was in the beginning of July.

The customer is a fellow Etsy Seller that saw one of my posts in a forum here on Etsy. In other terms, that sale was from a complete stranger.

During that sale I tried to give really good customer service and decent information about shipping. It was a international customer so the shipping time was a bit long.

I try to make a really pretty product with gift packaging and I also included a small note with a discount coupon. I also pack using recycled materials, cardboard boxes and envelopes that I sew in my machine.

II don't make my packaging look flashy (I would love to because I love colour and bold prints), but I prefer it to go "unnoticed" in the customs. I've been told that if a package looks super pretty it might be a temptation and it might be stolen. And the sales I make through etsy are overseas so I try to keep it simple, but not boring :)

I am a new seller but I think that for us, new shops, it is very important to take the best pictures we can, include shop policies, network and participate in some group forums. There is a whole lot to do, but right now that is what I've been doing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi there,

My very first sale occurred the day that my shop opened - because my boyfriend was sweet enough to buy an item! I think that goes to illustrate the importance of getting your family and friends on board and supporting your shop both in terms of word-of-mouth promotion and even actual buyers.

After that sale, about a week later, I sold my first item to (gasp!) a stranger. According to my shop stats on the date of that sale, I was getting a lot of traffic from the Etsy Home & Living (good thing I tagged my items "hostess gift"), treasuries (promote promote!), and my profile (because I was liking other people's items). That goes to show the importance of anticipating relevant and frequently searched tags, using and participating in teams actively, and participating in the Etsy community at large.

One thing I wish I knew when I started was not to use search ads. I haven't used search ads in my shop since perhaps the first month I opened, and if you search terms related to my listings, most of my listings still receive pretty good search rankings (first page at least). So I wouldn't spend money on search ads unless you have the perfect, timely listing for say, an upcoming holiday.

While I am still a relatively new shop (almost 7 mo., hurray!) and I don't have too many sales, I am noticing that my sales are increasing month by month. The most important thing I attribute to this is...to "just keep swimming"! As long as you keep up your shop and just do *something*, you'll at least learn something and at best make a sale!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I've been selling online for over ten years, so I knew it would just take time to establish a presence on Etsy. I crafted my about page and listings to encourage buyer trust and confidence.
I made two sales in the first week of being open and it was such a relief, knowing that my hard work would pay off.

I have antique books - so a lot of that for me is having what someone wants... and hoping that person is on Etsy!

What I would do differently... I launched my store with over a hundred items and then when I figured out keywords (and better photos) I had to go back over every single listing. Trial and error isn't all a bad thing - it's a learning curve!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi everyone,

I still haven't made any sale. If anyone has advice and critique for me, I take it gladly.

:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
It took us two weeks since we've opened..
Basically I'm sure that it was because i've added sample soaps as an option to buy, that actually triggered our first sale... :)
Lessons? well yeah, better have diversity of options :)

An advice to new shops: keep on hustelin'! :) if you want it to work eventually it will work :)
Don't never give up, no matter what other might say!

(hehe that was a quick one by me, I'm at the studio currently so just lurking :))

Have a great week everybody :)

Radion.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first sale was to a grandmother to be in VA. She contacted me months before the baby was due, just to make sure the pillow she pick would be available at the time. I stitched it & put it aside & she actually gave me updates before, during & after the birth! Lots of fun....sure makes you feel appreciated! I'm having a tough time making other sales, but am spending more time on teams & treasuries. FINGERS CROSSED!!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first sale was an item that I'd had listed for less than an hour. Didn't even have to try for that! Since then, I've tried to increase my visibility using social media, but the handful of sales I've had have just been trickling in randomly as far as I can tell.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I only opened my shop a few months ago so no sales yet: :( I know its early days and I am still in the process of stocking it with alot more items, getting the hang of tags and which ones to use plus struggling with what to do on my Pinterest account.
Mark
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first sale on Etsy (under my original shop name, this shop is brand new) came totally out of the blue! I had listed a pair of earrings that I liked a lot, but didn't think anyone else would be very interested in. A very, very nice encouraging lady purchased from me. A week later I received a message from her and was so afraid to open it because I thought she was going to have something negative to say to me! It turned out that her dog had eaten a part of the earrings and she loved them so much that she wanted another pair. That first customer turned into my first returning customer, and was definitely the first confidence boost I received!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I am feeling a bit like I am the only one but I opened my shop in October last year and didn't get my first sale till about June or July then nothing till last week. It seems any time I read about others sales it is much more successful then mine. Now I am a stubborn and determined girl so I won't give up. But I wish I could have more success and wish I wasn't the only one....
0 Likes

Jump to solution
We made our first sale to a good friend who has steadfastly bought more items from our shop. Our shop opened only in July this year. And so far we have been very lucky. However, most of our buyers are local people who heard and looked at our shops and bought items.

Quite a few of them returned to buy again. Our first "actual" buyer at Etsy also returned to buy another item. We are hopeful that more people will come. But it all remains to be seen....
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I have been around a while but I will never forget that first sale! I had put about 5 aprons up my first day and within 24 hrs I had a sale...I shipped it out and a few days later the same customer bought another. She wrote me a lovely review which stated she had bought 6 aprons off Etsy and mine was her absolute favorite...I was so excited but I had to wait a while after those first 2 to really get going!
Looking back now, my pictures were pretty awful and could still use some improvement...here on Etsy I think pictures are probably the single most important thing. After that of course, SEO, good pricing etc.
0 Likes
HandDoll
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution
My first sale was in may. It was totally unexpected. I started my shop in a period I was very busy with other things. I didn't spend a lot of time to promote my items. It just happened..
0 Likes
MythicFacets
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Our first sale was to my sister and I agree with Sarah's comment, it is very important to get family and friends interested in your business and items, they will help with word of mouth as well and be your biggest fans and help you promote to your business as well. I felt Fantastic to make that first sale though and has inspired us since to contually improve. We are still learning about Etsy and how to survive and get noticed but we are working hard and want to be successful.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I can never forget that feeling when I made my first sale. I opened my shop on 25th December, 2012 around 8 pm my time, which is 10 hours ahead of US. I listed 8 items. I woke up very early in the morning, still dark and everyone sleeping in the house, being very new to Etsy and in the learning phase, I checked my shop and found 1 Sale in my left column.

Woohoo!! I just couldn't believe it and at that time couldn't share it with anyone , so i was the most happy person at that moment and shared the happiness with myself.
My that first customer will always be very special to me as she gave me the much needed confidence.

Thank you Etsy! You have made a huge difference in my life :))

Imrana
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hello All,

Thanks for sharing your stories, I'm still waiting on my first sale but it is great hearing about your experiences and successes!

-Andrea
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I have had several friend of a friend, or that woman from another listserv type sales, but only one true stranger who found my stuff in a search.

Question - if someone emails you a positive review do you ask them to go back to etsy and review you there?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
We made our first sale within 48 hours of opening our shop. It was my cousin but I was totally surprised. She saw the link I had posted on my personal Facebook wall and followed it to the shop to see what we had been making. She hadn't visited our Facebook business page in a few years so hadn't realized the new direction we were going in. She LOVES our new line and is one of my best customers now. Though she no longer purchases from our Etsy shop - she calls me and tells me what she wants and we meet for coffee to do our transactions.

My second sale was a result of promotional games we ran on our Facebook page.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Yesterday was my two month EtsyVersary. I made my first sale 3 weeks ago and am still hoping and working for my second sale! Someone saw my Pink Love Birds Earrings in a treasury and fell in love... how could they not? ;) They ended up purchasing four pairs total.

The first sale is exciting and terrifying at the same time! I'm sure I'll feel that way about the first 20 sales, maybe more.

Feel free to send critiques or suggestions you have my way.
I enjoy the challenge and reward that comes from owning an etsy shop.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I've been on etsy one year and my first couple of sales happened within a week from friends and family! But the best advice I had with generating new sales came from another etsy shop owner who recommended having a "lost leader" item for shoppers to buy at a very low discounted price in my shop. So I listed a fun jewelry piece that was easy for me to make and offered it at my cost. This helped me get my sales numbers up during those tough first couple of months when I was trying to get some of that "cha-ching" sound going!!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.