weekendjewelry1
Conversation Maker

"Ways to Stand Out at a Craft Show"

Saw this over on Pinterest. Now frankly a lot of it is way expensive or not do-able for us ordinary types. But still..... there are definite ideas to be gotten. Use Color. Use Graphic Repetition. Stuff like that.

https://www.madeurban.com/News/want_to_stand_out_at_a_craft_show_try_these_displa/4217

Worth looking through, maybe...
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: "Ways to Stand Out at a Craft Show"

Yeah, I saw that too. Truthfully, I found most of it too big and too expensive to implement at craft shows. The fact that they title it "want to stand out at a craft show ?" is misleading. No one has the kind of room for the displays they suggest. This article is much more relevant for B&M stores with room for gigantic paint brushes and balls of yarn. When displaying in a craft show booth, there's no room for a 5-foot display of tumbling flowers which has absolutely nothing to do with what you're selling.

They would've been more help to craft show sellers if they had taken the time to actually tailor the article to craft shows instead of providing grandiose ideas and pictures with no suggestions on how to make it work in a tiny show booth.

0 Likes

Thanks for the share, lots of cool ideas there!
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I agree with Deb. No one has room for a giant ball of yarn, and giant needles, or anything of that scale! I think they had a book they were trying to sell, but I wouldn't think craft show vendors would be their target market at all!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

I thought the article was useful as an inspiration, a jolt to make you think about your display in a different way, that was less practical, more artistic.

Yes for a small table, there isn't much space for display elements, but I've seen some fabulous booths that are 10x10 or larger that have more grandiose displays, including some that had a giant prop....that use every bit of space from floor to ceiling to catch your eye.

I used to do window and floor displays for a major department store, as well as some small boutiques. My craftshow display is practical and boring in comparison, and I've been considering recently what elements I could add to catch the eye across a crowded room or outdoor event.
0 Likes

When I have a 10x10 space; I use a card table and set up a 3ft tall, 3.5ft wide elephant as a display piece...she is bright colors and wears a FREE HUGS sign...almost no one can walk by without stopping to take a picture of her (and my sign is conveniently hung over her...hmmmm) or hug her or look around. I sell way more "normal" sized elephant amigurumi when I have her displayed than I do at smaller shows without the room to display her. So, I lose a bit of product space, but I have found she is worth it.
0 Likes

Good Article! And as artist it is a great one to make us think outside the box and adapt it to our own needs.(small space) Merchandising our booth is just another way of touch a "sense" One thing I do in the fall at all my shows is that I have made a wooded witch. She stands over 6 foot tall and has moveable arms her footprint on the ground is only 18x18 inches. She is kinda my mascot for the fall shows. She stops traffic, her name is weaving Wanda! They see her and point, stop to take pictures and I could have sold 500 of her by now!!LOL But I also merchandise in small ways as well but I feel like the little things take up more space and are also harder to work into the booth and take more time.

I am going to think hard this winter to come up with something for my spring and summer shows. I am thinking maybe Wanda with a pretty spring dress and still keep her green tinted face and wart on her nose! I could alway put a veil on her hat.
0 Likes

This is a really good article. The author uses store window displays as inspiration and then suggests ways that these display ideas could be used at craft fairs. How about creating large balls of yarn from round paper lanterns and knitting needles from dowels and hang them inside your tent. I like the idea of taking a photo and getting 3 vistaprint banners made of that photo to hang vertically across the back of my booth. I make vintage inspired jewelry and I think I'll do this with a photo I have of my grandparents standing behind the counter inside their jewelry store from the 1920s. Thanks for sharing!
0 Likes

Definitely interesting for inspiration! We have a craft fair friend who used to do window displays for Anthropologie and her booth always looks amazing.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.