I had my first show of the season yesterday. And it was the first time I tried out my new pricing (which is more accurate for true retail value).

I noticed quite a few people oooh and awww over my front table. Then they looked at the prices. Most of them about dropped the pieces when they saw the prices. I actually cut some of the retail prices before I tagged these pieces, so they were technically below retail.

My gut feeling was that if they had looked at the same piece in a store, rather than at an arts and craft fair, they would not have blinked an eye at the price.

How often do you see people in your booth experience "sticker shock"? Do you find it upsetting to realize they have so little value for the time and expertise of local artists?

I am chocking it up to "They are not my ideal customer" but it still stings a bit.

Re: Sticker Shock

I've had a few comments about price. Since many of my items are large (tables, shelves) my work can sometimes range well above $100.

This year I'm going to try something a little different. For the larger, more expensive items, I've taken pictures throughout the making process from a piece of stock lumber all the way through the finished product. I'm hoping this gives potential customers an idea of why my prices are what they are.

As far as rudeness goes, I usually just smile, nod and say "That's interesting" or something along those lines.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Pricing my jewelry has been the hardest thing for me since I make them individually. And I went thru similar price issues last Saturday. They liked all my items and thought some were rather pricey. I was also told that those pieces should be sold in stores and not here.

I had done some homework about where the fair was and did not take my higher priced items. Nonetheles, I still sold little over $200 and was happy about that.
0 Likes

I get that quite a bit. I sell hand painted silk accessories (Scarves, ties, bow ties, hair clips). Silk isn't the cheapest material. And I try for the nice quality stuff. My scarves start at $38 and go up. So at every show I'll get both the people who zoom right in, don't bat an eye, and buy even a few of the higher priced ones. Or the ones who look at the price, make a 'wow' or scoffing sound. I've found that most people don't know what silk painting is, and by just going up to them, explaining my process and everything that goes into it- time, thought, skill- they appreciate it more and understand why they are priced the way they are. They will look at everything closer and even turn around and buy something. A few have even told me while they are buying it they thought it was expensive at first, but after I explained everything, they understood and thought it was priced fair.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Luckily, in our case, we really haven't had any pricing issues or negative comments about our pricing. We price our soap bars within the realm of affordability for the vast majority of shoppers. Same with our skin care products. To make things more affordable for price conscious shoppers, instead of lowering prices, we offer a variety of sizes, so customers can spend less $ & get a smaller body butter or they can spend more & get a larger size.

I do sometimes use "price" when I'm explaining why we use certain fragrance oils rather than essential oils in some of our soaps. I had a lady ask me one time why we use Rose fragrance oil instead of essential oil.

Well, I said, it takes 2,000lbs of roses to make 1lb of rose essential oil. It's so extremely expensive that if I did use rose essential oil to scent the soap, I'd have to charge her $200 per bar. Not kidding, rose essential oil runs around $900 or so for just 1oz so there's no way that it would pay to use it in soap, unless I used .001% of it in a blend, lol.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Penny Dixon,
I love the "their eyes glaze over" technique.
0 Likes

Here we sell what we make. At our shows we have the ability to sell purchased inventory as well.
People may talk a good game about wanting to Buy Local or Buy American Made...unless the import is less expensive, then they find a way to justify.
"I don't use these that often...this one (the import) will be fine"
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I sell mosaic belt buckles at shows and I often get the shocked look when I tell them the price. I purposely do NOT put price tags on my items because I want people to ask me the price, so that I can then explain why they are so expensive - how much work goes into them and why they are worth the price.
If I put the price tag on, people would just pick them up, look at the price and walk away, because they are comparing them to belts made in china.
I have to explain that mine are "hand made, OOAK, wearable art".
If you can't afford them, then you are just someone who can't afford art, and I I understand that - but I make no apologies for my price. If you can't see what goes into my buckles, then you shouldn't be wearing them, you should just go down to Gap and get something there to keep your pants up.
0 Likes

I estimate that between 5% and 10% of my shoppers have sticker shock. I just smile and explain the materials and what parts I made by hand. Usually I forget it happened a few minutes later.

One time a group of three women were shopping together. Two of them said that the other "really knows about jewelry . . . she made our necklaces." The third woman picked up my most expensive item ($185) and said "I'm surprised you can sell it for that." Since I was selling it a lower than my calculated cost, I said "Yes, it should be higher for all the silver and time in it." She looked at me like I was nuts. :)

0 Likes

Y'know, the only time I experienced that was at a craft fair.

Otherwise, I sell at anime/video game/scifi conventions and it's the direct opposite, "That's a good price!" or "Oh man, I know this takes a long time, so I can understand why it's at that price."

It's so weird. At conventions, people expect things to already be expensive, while at craft shows, people expect cheap.
0 Likes

I, too, have sold at ComiCons.
People go there expecting...wanting...to spend money.
Many seem to go to Craft/Art Fairs with a snide "Prove to me that I should spend a dime" attitude.
Different worlds.
0 Likes

I find I get both 'that's expensive' and 'that's underpriced' comments. Which suggests to me I might be pitching my prices just right!

0 Likes

Unfortunately the dollar store mentality has hijacked many of the shoppers' brains!
0 Likes

I find it's not usually a question of price, I mean you have to know the area you are in...i can sell a bag for $27 in Philly and only $19 in the burbs. so I have taken to making a smaller wristlet sized bag priced at $19 but then still take my more expensive items as well. I find if people stop and look and want to buy they almost never give a second thought to price. For me it's just getting them to stop and really look. not just glance
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.