SHOW TALK: How did it go? Good or Bad

Lets start a new show talk thread! Tell us how your craft shows are going good or bad.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
15 Replies

Re: SHOW TALK: How did it go? Good or Bad

I'll start it off with my lastest show last weekend. It was my second year and I almost matched in sales. My one complaint is there's a parade that lasts about an hour. No one shops during that time. People will sit on the curb in front of booth. I can't really say anything and that hour seems to drag on. But people stay and shop. It rained in the last hour ruining the last minute shoppers.

My most amusing customers were 3 ladies who very loudly and close to me discussed how my sleep masks are too much. $10. "Oh that's way too much for a sleep mask. But the quality looks good." I didn't say anything. Really didn't feel like defending my prices. They ended up buying one then stated because they are Irish they could have talked me down to $9. So the whole point was for me to automatically give them a deal. Yeah right.

0 Likes

I'm doing my very FIRST show in August.  It is a top 20 juried show and I cannot afford to look at this as a "learning experience".   It is indoors and a 10 X 10 space.   I used some graphics software to lay out my booth.  I tried to attach it but the file was too big.   I have a u-shaped configuration with elevated tables (36") and gridwall for the back wall.  I also created a storage area in the back 2 feet (10 X 2) to store stock.  I am using my tent frame (no top) in order to secure side curtains, lights, signs...etc.  My chair is positioned at the front of the booth (bar height chair).  I sell dog collars and organic dog coat and paw care.  My highest priced item is $38.00 and lowest price is $8.00.  The back gridwall features the showiest and highest priced items and those dog collars are elevated on shelves 5' high and 3.5' high and displayed 4 each on standing t-bar displays (3 T-Bars per shelf).  There is also a low priced item (key fobs) that will be displayed with grid hooks on this back grid wall as well.  Hopefully to draw people into the booth.  The other tables (side of booth) - 6' table, coat and paw care - 8' table, collars on 3 rotating displays ordered by size (s, m and large).  The coat and paw gift sets are displayed in the middle of the 6' table on a tiered shelf.  They are also very showy and my hope is they will also draw people in.    I have two banners for the side walls - one describing the coat and paw care and one describing the collars.  These are 1.6' high by 3' wide.  I also have a 7' X 2' retractable banner for the front with my logo and a eye catching phrase.  My table covers are black and my sidewalls are white.  I have show lights for each wall.

Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.  1 Big question I do have is how to secure my cash box?  I am taking credit cards as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

@thedecadentdog Don't use a cash box, unless you only keep coins in it. It's much more secure to wear the money on your body. Since you already sew aprons - Make a money apron. I only keep money in mine and it is deep with 3 wide pockets and a zipper across the top. big bills on the left, 10's in middle, and $5s on the right along with Dollar coins (I'm in Canada), but you may want 4 pockets since you'll have $1 bills, or mix the 5&10 bills together in the middle. 

The zipper prevents people from reaching into your apron as they get up close, also bills will never blow away on a windy day (it happens).  That's another reason we like the deep pockets. The first apron we had for free came from my brother's short stint as a waiter, pockets were deep but it had no zipper, and long thin waist ties that were a pain.  The next apron we bought had the pockets were too narrow for my partner's big hands, but it had the adjustable belt with the plastic buckle like on your aprons. The 3rd, the zipper was placed too low on the apron, so money fell out easily when the zipper was open.  Finally the 4th apron was almost perfect, the fabric is a bit thin so the weight of the dollar coins has caused some wear upon the stitching. 

Other sellers have written in our threads that they use their apron to also hold their phone, pens & order book....so it depends on your needs.  The way my display is, we stand behind the table, and have places for all of those things, so only need to carry bills/cash to keep the money accessible but safe.  Sometimes one of us wears the apron until we get home, so we never worry "where's the money???".  How are you taking cards?  With square?  Maybe you'll need to keep your phone in your apron too.

Small coins (quarters, nickles, dimes) I keep in an old fashioned money changer.  If I had a stiffer apron then I could wear it  hooked onto my apron like I did when I was a teenager working at A&W. But it would add weight, and be noisy.  So the coin changer sits behind our display near the wrapping station. Some sellers avoid dealing with small change by rounding their prices, it does depend on your local laws concerning sales tax....since some states do not allow tax to be included in a price.  Also depending, some small sellers do not have to charge tax until they meet a certain threshold.

My only display suggestion would be - do you have a little area that is an obvious paystation? People naturally look for the place that they can "line up" to pay.  Depending on their goods, some sellers also need a wrapping station where they keep bags, tissue, business cards, info. pamphlets, cash register or receipt books, etc.  It is possible to do without this, and for you to be the on-the-move cashier, who has any packaging paraphernelia strategically placed amoungst your goods, so you can quickly pull what you need.

0 Likes

I feel that there will always be people like that, and it's good that you didn't react. The most amusing comment I've had is when customers (and there were a few of them) ask if my $10 earrings are made of 14K gold. No, ma'am - they're made of brass (that's why they're $10 a pair). 

1 Like

That sounds like a great setup. You can keep change in a waitress apron and stash the big bills somewhere safe.

0 Likes

Thanks so much for the advice!  I really appreciate it!

0 Likes

I've done two shows so far this year. They both went better than in previous years, but neither were super fantastic. The first show was outdoors, 10x10. It is at a univeristy and part of a huge festival. I actually loved my booth location, and had i known how busy i would be (my previous locations were less busy), I would have been way more prepared. I just didn't have enough of my best sellers for this show. The second show was outdoosr, 4x6. It went okay considering the fact that it rained for over half the show and there was a man hanging around my booth area screaming about how people need jesus or will burn in hell for the other half. I am actualyl surprised at how well that show went.

I am doing a big 4th of July event/parade next week. I've never done this before, but I have attended the parade back when I lived in the neighboring town. I am hoping it goes well...and I am definitely more prepared with my best sellers than I was at the last two shows.

0 Likes

The 4th of july parade was fantastic. Best show i have ever done. And I was WOEFULLY underprepared due to some mass chaos in my life currently. So yea...definitely going to sign up again for next year. :-)

0 Likes

I did two new shows this year, one in August and another one last weekend. The latest one was my best show (in terms of total sales) ever, but it didn't start so well. Instead of using the same chalk markers from last year to indicate vendor/tent boundaries, the volunteers asked us to disregard the markers and put our tents in the middle of their own made up labels - it did not make sense at all and was very confusing. They kept on asking us to move our tents one more space over because (suprise, surprise), they miscalculated the size of 10x10 ft tent. Even more frustrating was the parking situation. The organizer was vague about parking, and my husband was passed on from one volunteer to another when looking for vendor parking. After 30 minutes of driving around the block, he finally got a hold of the police officers who were closing the streets to give him the right directions. We were so frustrated that we considered leaving the show that morning - just pack up our things and go before they shut down the streets. I am just glad that it worked out. I would apply to this show next year, but we'll make sure to arrive a lot earlier to account for the parking situation. 

0 Likes

nice to see folks posting!

I had my first show of the season last weekend. This show is always one that has a waiting list so I was very surprised to have customers ask me where 'all' of the vendors were. Apparently, some parts of the church (this is the only church show that I do...) were virtually bare of vendors. Surprised me a lot. I did a bit less than last year. And this should be my last year in this area, anyway, as I intend to move to Tennessee next spring. But what was really telling is that I got an email from the organizer, wanting payment by the 19th of THIS month for next year's event.

ummm.....noooooo

This show isn't that good to demand money that far in advance. Especially if it had less vendors. The email also said that they were no longer going to be using the gyms & such. Which also goes back to fewer people setting up. That does not bode well. And I'm sorry to see that as it isn't a good sign for that show. They won't give you more than '2 spaces' which is actually less than 1/2 of the space (even though I get 2) than my next weekend show...and that's just one space.

all in all, time to call that done. I'm only wondering if I ought to email the organizer and explain my thoughts. But then again, I'm not going to be here anyway.

1 Like
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Why not email the organizer?  You have nothing to lose, since you won't be around next year (so they can't hold it against you)  Some people who organize shows don't really know what they're doing.  Some are willing to listen to the crafters (their customers), and the shoppers, some are not.

Less vendors (at least in the first year it happens) usually means more sales for me, since less competition. However it can also mean less money for advertising (if the organizer advertise), and less "word of mouth" as there aren't as many vendors promoting the show directly to the people they know.  Also if a show is "shrinking", then that can mean that less people will bother to attend, because they figure it isn't worth their time, or the admission fee. 

1 Like

you know, I may. I just felt it may sound a bit snooty. But you're right. I don't intend to be back.

0 Likes

Last week's show utterly rocked. It was down (to my eyes) about 20% in traffic, but my sales were an all time high (for any show). So no complaining!

I did have a lot of regular customers and I did tell some of them (when it came up in conversation) that I may not be there next year due to moving, and they took cards. So that was great. We shall see.

I have a lot of orders that piled up this weekend too...and I have to dig through boxes to find the stuff to pack them up. But that will happen today. One way or another.

This may be my last show, however, as I just can't stand that long. Was back at the chiropractor this morning for an adjustment. And while it isn't that much, the idea that I'm hurting myself isn't cool.

I do have another show paid for this year, and the kids are great about bringing you in & out...so we'll see. It isn't until December. I just don't want to go buy a tall chair if this is my last show before moving. But, a new chair costs less than a chiro visit...

0 Likes

The last two shows this holiday season have been a total bust. First small show revenue was down significantly. Mostly due to two other people also selling heat packs. Second show I upgraded to a double space. I've been doing this one for years and with the crowd size and inventory growing it was time. Then the customers didn't show. There is usually a line of people waiting to get in. Not this year. There were very few times where the open booth space was useful. Sales minus expenses equals not worth it. I'm really considering not doing shows anymore. Lugging HEAVY bins of heat packs, stress of having enough for shows and my shop is just too much. Plus my reluctant helper husband won't be able to help me anymore. Can I do it myself? Yes but I just don't want to. Next two shows are in my town. If I do continue this next year I'll stick to these. No big set up, no travel costs, smaller inventory. And now Etsy sales are down. Vent over.

0 Likes
DragoninKnots
Conversation Maker

I'm sorry to hear your shows didn't go well. I haven't done out-of-town shows simply because the amount I would need to recoup to make them worth it would be much more. Good luck on the upcoming fairs!

A thought for your Etsy shop: you could market a heat pad for menstrual cramp relief. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.