Questions?

How do I get customers to ask more questions? Seriously!

Any tricks to get them to ask questions?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
15 Replies
RedThreadBows
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Questions?

I try to say to every customer that walks into my booth "Hi. Thanks for stopping by. Please let me know if you have any questions as you look around." It lets them know I have seen them and welcomes them. If they have questions they know I am approachable.
Sometimes I also comment on weather or their cute baby, but I almost always use my question line at the end of any greeting.
0 Likes

Red Thread Bows,

That is almost exactly my opening statement. :(
0 Likes

Is there a reason you want them to ask more questions?
0 Likes
RedThreadBows
Inspiration Seeker

There is some psychology involved- the more your interact with a customer, the more connected to you they feel and they more likely they are to purchase from you. Getting them to ask questions starts that connection so I could see encouraging them to ask.
0 Likes

Instead of prompting customers to ask questions, I just instantly answer them. Most of the time. I try and not be that pushy salesperson.

If they pick up a certain beanie - "That one's made with an wool/acrylic blend. Feel free to try it on." Or something along those lines.

Or sometimes I ask a question myself.. "Were you wondering what that beanie was made from?" And that helps open the door for other questions to be asked.

In my experience most people don't ask questions, so I just offer them up as if they were asked anyway. :P
0 Likes

My goal was to help create that connection and set customers at ease. I changed my opening line, and I think that actually helped set them at ease. Those interactions did not have the same feel.

This weekend I opened with "Welcome to Eluna Jewelry. Please feel free to come in and look around." Then typically I busied myself with something useless, even taking a drink of water.

This seemed to have the desired effect of creating that low stress sale.

I did have one customer respond by "no thanks, I'm just looking." Which I found really funny, since all I did was invite them to look. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I, of course, will answer all questions asked of me, but, for items that I think may need a bit of explanation, I make signs and post them with the items. Many people just plain won't ask and will leave without knowing everything they need to know. Other times, I may be too busy with other customers and they just don't want to bother me. I try to accommodate these customers . . .

Most people just want to look and shop in relative peace. Everyone has their own way of doing things, but if I walked into a booth and if the crafter is watching everything I pick up and making a comment on it (as Stefan does) I would immediately leave. I am intelligent enough to ask a question if I have one, and I definitely don't want to feel as though the seller is watching my every move.

My method works for me because it answers possible questions without making the shopper ask me, and I don't have to intrude on their privacy by forcefully inserting myself into their "looking" experience.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I know that I hate to feel that a salesperson is hovering (as if I'm going to steal something)! I try not to do that. I mention that I'm here if they have any questions, and then I try to look a little bit busy, (even though I'm right there) so they feel they can browse in peace.
I was at a produce market once, and the guy followed me around, explaining that this was just picked this morning, and that was the freshest in town, etc. I hadn't asked him anything!! I walked out and never went back there - like, GO AWAY! I'll ask if I need to know anything!
0 Likes

There is a fine line. If we are "too busy", then we are perceived as ignoring the customer. But if we are not busy enough, we are perceived as "hovering".

I am also thankful for that lone soul that will walk into a booth, and engage me to sell to them. Then the crowds come in, like magic.
0 Likes

So, statements that invite customers to ask questions typically do the exact opposite of engaging them and making that connection. For example saying, "Please just let me know if you have any questions'" puts the requirement to extend oneself onto the customer and not on you. You are giving the customer control of the interaction, and have limited yourself from that point forward, instead of guiding them towards a purchase.

Also, giving a bunch of info about items upfront without making that connection first and that the customer doesn't ask for can immediately make the customer think that you are pushing them towards one item or another item and again, limit yourself as far making that connection since you have already answered their questions.

Psychology wise, if you can find a way to ask questions that are related to your items but are completely customer focused to start with you can get them to engage and keep yourself in the position of being able to guide them to whatever items will hold their attention the longest.

Things like "I noticed you are looking at....., do you have a particular occasion or person in mind?" Or, "Are you looking for a gift for yourself or are you thinking of someone else." Or other questions like that seem to make someone feel like you are interested in what is behind their purchase, which leads them to be more interested in what is behind their purchase as well. Plus it gives you the advantage usually of having to do very little talking because once you open the door to encouraging someone to talk about themselves or someone they love or a special event...they kinda run with it and you just have to do a little bit of guiding.

Just my 2 cents.....
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jennifer. I do ask the question when they're looking at my towels! I will ask if they're thinking about the kitchen or the bathroom.
Other than that, I try to look somewhat occupied, and let them browse in peace, after mentioning that I'm there if they have any questions.
It's worked so far. I'm one of the top three sellers at my biggest show!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I understand where you're coming from Jennifer, but your approach would also be too invasive for me. Unless I ask a question, I prefer a seller leave me alone . . . entirely. A smile and a "hi" if we happen to make eye contact is more than enough. It's no one's business but mine who I am shopping for or "what is behind" my purchase. If I were to tell you I'm shopping for my daughter, how would that help you? Of the two of us, I'm the only one who knows her. If I ask a question which would NATURALLY lead the seller to these questions, fine. But, out of the blue?? I'd be SO outta there.

As a seller, I treat shoppers the way I would like to be treated . . . a smile and a hi (only if they make eye contact with me) and then I let them alone to shop. I remain behind my display (looking busy but totally aware of shoppers in my booth in case they need me). Even though I'm behind my display, I'm still in full view so they know where to find me should they have a question. If I see them having difficulty (ie: figuring out how to open a magnetic clasp on a bracelet) I offer to help. After showing them how it opens and possibly helping them try it on, I retreat and let them shop.

My method works for me. I usually have 4 or more people in my booth at a time, and trying to engage them all in conversation just wouldn't work even if I wanted to and would only succeed in causing me to not notice someone who actually needs my help. Most shoppers are savvy enough to know that a seller "encouraging someone to talk about themselves or someone they love or a special event" is just a sales tactic. It's why people hate car salesmen.

Sorry to rant, but as both a seller and a shopper at craft shows, it's always been a pet peeve of mine. My number ONE pet peeve? Sellers who stand in their booth and immediately try to engage you in conversation. It smacks of desperation. I will, and I've seen others, avoid those booths like the plague.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

I talk to people, I might let them know about the jewellery, our processes, sometimes I make small talk, or even play peekaboo with a small child. I encourage customers to touch the jewellery, try it on, hold it up. Sometimes offer to help them try on a necklace, since people's hands can be full.
Also I'll let them know there are more colors available, because I can't display it all. If I feel a "skittish" vibe from someone, then I will talk less.

It's mostly men that I ask if they are looking for help finding a gift, if they have already spent some time in my booth. The answer is usually "yes". Sometimes I can overhear people talking about how they need a gift for so-and-so, and I may put myself into that conversation.

But I don't talk to every single person, and even the people I do talk to, I don't stay "laser focused" on them. I give them space to walk around and look around, while I make myself busy doing other things, or talking to others. But I do have to keep some visual tabs on people, because theft of jewellery can happen quick. If thieves know that you are aware of them, they move on to easier prey.

Saying "hi" and a smile just isn't enough IMO, I really see the difference in my sales numbers when I put a little effort in to connect. Even at big sales, I notice that the people I talk to that tell me they're "just looking" or they "just got there and want to look around", are the ones that come back around to buy, they remember us. Sometimes I'm in a super great mood, and that energy just flows out, people can feel it. If I'm worn out, or sick, or agitated, people can feel that too.

When you're selling handcraft or art, you aren't just selling goods, you're selling YOU. People want connections, they want to understand why your goods are special, or unique. Certainly informative signs and tags on your goods, perhaps a bio, do help, but not everyone wlll take the the time to read.

As well, what you sell makes a difference in how much attention or help people need. Jewellery and clothing is very personal, people expect some personal service, sometimes recommendations or opinions.
Since much of our jewellery has symbolic meaning, we also do help people find pieces for themselves or for gifts that are right....a creativity rune for the niece who dances, an owl pendant for a wise friend, etc.

0 Likes

Once again, Tigers puts it perfectly, bravo! :D

And yes, that's how I operate too. I don't stay laser focused on them either, nor do I keep pestering them the whole time.
If I happen to notice them looking at something, because it can't be helped to notice people looking at things in such a small space, and if I don't get the "skittish" vibe then I say a little something about it.

Jennifer put it beautifully as well! :D
0 Likes

I like a simple 'good morning'. It acknowledges them. It gives no pressure. Says I'm available to chat. Says I see you, so don't take my stuff.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.