Hello everyone!

I'm doing an 2 day event in November, and I can't decide whether or not I should get someone to help me? The days are quite short so I'm not sure if they'll be needed (plus I'm a control freak!)

Any suggestions would be great...

Jinny

Re: Flying solo...

I was desperate at my last show for a helper. She wanted to use half my booth space which was already overcrowded. I managed to get her into the show as an exception as a last minute. I new she had crochet items; but the style was diff than mine; so I thought no big deal, we could watch each others booths. Her daughter showed up to help her and had the same ruffle scarves I did (I have only 1 listed in my shop) . Hers were almost less than 1/2 the price of mine, so I didn't make a sale on those. I made the booth fee + 17:00; but with the donated item, I was in the hole.

I think I will try and get someone to help me set up and go solo.

Thanks for this thread, it's helped my decision.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Brenda it is hard to share space with someone who does the same craft as you, and can stress a friendship. I wouldn't recommend it, and I have heard quite a few stories online and from crafters I know: of "friends" who copied their designs and started their own business, which greatly affected their sales.

This summer it was from some sisters who do Henna Tattoo, their friend took their book of henna designs and photocopied the whole thing (without permission), then started booking the festival circuit, in some cases this pushed them out of events that they'd done for years.
0 Likes

Tigersanddragons, my friend had her own space, next to mine a couple of tables next to my booth. She does totally different crochet than I do, baby cocoons, booties., etc; where I do scarves, hats, potholers, crochet towel tops and neckwarmers. I thought I would be safe until her daughter showed up with some of the same scarves I do; but in a cheaper yarn for the most part.

It's too bad about the Henna Tattoo issue. Sounds like their friend isn't really a friend at all.

I'm going to try it solo from now on; besides the setting up part.

Thanks for the advice,

brenda
0 Likes

So much great advice!

Getting someone to pop by with lunch is a great idea.

I need to check these threads more often!
0 Likes

My biggest concerns about going solo is the whole bathroom thing, especially as a women when "that time of the month" happens. I'm heavy so I usually have to go running at least every 2 hours. How do you guys handle that when solo?? I'm trying to figure out how I can do that. My boyfriend's own business is picking up so I know he can't do shows with me. Friends are all far away and the close by ones can't be counted on.
0 Likes

Most of the shows I do now I am able to get a booth next to another vendor I know so we can cover for each other if needed.
For larger, super busy shows I bring a friend, but mostly its just me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am kind of wishing I had a helper for this coming weekend show as I'll be adding my handmade leashes to my photography business. Oh well, we'll see how it pans out. I've been solo for several years now, and miss my hubby's help mostly when I'm setting up/packing up! The show itself I can manage solo.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.