Flying solo...

Hello everyone!

I'm doing an 2 day event in November, and I can't decide whether or not I should get someone to help me? The days are quite short so I'm not sure if they'll be needed (plus I'm a control freak!)

Any suggestions would be great...

Jinny
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
31 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Flying solo...

I always fly solo. Lots of us do.
0 Likes

The best compromise I found was to arrange to have a friend bring lunch and have them keep an eye on things for a few minutes while I bolted for the bathroom. Not to make sales, just keep things from walking off and let customers know I'd be right back. Then I can either share lunch with them or sit out of the way eating for a few minutes. Works pretty well, no control issues, friend gets to see what its all about!

Of course, there was that one time I came back to the boyfriend standing blocking the front of my booth with his arms crossed, glaring at the people walking by. He was quietly removed from the resource list after THAT fiasco.....
0 Likes

I'm by myself and have been in any show I've done.
0 Likes
HoldsIt
Crafty Poster

I'm always alone. If there is a vendor next to me who will watch while I run to the bathroom, that's great. If not, I take my money and run for it. I rarely get to look around at other booths though.
0 Likes

I'm always solo too. I usually talk to the other vendors and we ask each other tokeep watch. I always take my $ with me. If the other vendor is having a slow day I usually buy something small from them.
0 Likes

I usually work my booth with my sister and I have for years. We've been doing it long enough that we have a system for who does what and I think it really streamlines the process. Plus, if it's a slow show, I have someone to talk to. I'd say if it's someone you work well with and who works the same way you do, it might be worth it so you don't wear yourself out; however, if it could result in stress between you and the other person, don't risk it.
0 Likes

I am doing a 12-hours per day, 5-day fair in December and although I'd like support , I have noone to rely on and will be very solo)
I got tips from other people who have done this fair, such as bring drinking water and lunch/snacks that are easy to eat at the booth. You can ask the neighbour t o watch your stuff if you need to go to the bathroom.
Hope I will survive.
Wishing you best if luck Jinny!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have done many of my shows alone. I do get some help or arrange for someone to drop by when I am doing 10 or more hours a day at a show - mostly for bathroom breaks!
0 Likes

I do most of mine by myself. I'm fortunate to not really need bathroom breaks, so I haven't needed to ask other vendors. But it seems to be a common thing for booth neighbors to babysit each other's booths while they run to the ladies' or gents'.

Pack a lunch and some snacks, and water as well so you don't have to worry about getting them. And like Sarahfan said, pack things that you can easily eat at the booth - I've found I've had to eat my lunches in quick bites here and there when there would be a lull in visitors to my booth. (I don't like to eat when there are people in the booth.)
0 Likes

I do my shows by myself, with the exception of one big show this year that my daughter flew down from the states to help with and a 40 minute break for another show last year where I was vending but was also part of the entertainment. I am a singer and did a 40 minute set, so I got a relative to come and watch my tent/tables but did not have him there to sell. He was there just to tell people I was singing and would be back later.

I usually don't take a bathroom break even for an all day event, but if I have needed one I ask the vendor next to me to cast an eye on my tent/tables. I take my money with me as another posted also mentioned doing. If there is nobody that I am able to ask, I just run away quickly.

It is quite possible to do a show solo :)
0 Likes

I'm a control freak too! [funny]

I do solo. Sometimes my husband will help me with setup/breakdown but the rest is up to me.

What helps me (and others have mentioned this also) is I eat protein bars, drink plenty of good fluids, and I sometimes use those energy supplements. I stay clear of kettle corn and the other junk that I love! And....wear comfortable shoes!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

When I used to work shows alone, I usually arranged for a family member to give me a 20-30 minute break so I could eat and go to the bathroom. And I was VERY careful about how much water I drank. It was against the rules to eat in your booth, so you could only snack on the sly.

At craft shows you often will have nice neighbours who can watch your booth, but I have found that jewellery needs more watching than some of them can spare if they suddenly have customers to help and talk to.

Some shows have booth relief in half hour increments that you can sign up for.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I always fly solo!

As others mentioned, I bring my own water and snacks (when appropriate).
I keep my money on me. And make friends with my neighbors so I can take a bathroom break if needed.

Though I do usually wish I had help when it comes to breaking down.....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Guys, i'm a bit concerned. Some of you mentioned not drinking a lot so as to not need so many bathroom breaks.

You need to keep hydrated. Both the ability to regulate your body temp and your kidneys are both ill effected by the lack of fluids. Kidney stones grow when there isn't enough fluid passing thru your kidneys. If its a hot show you need even more fluids. I drink at least a gallon of fluids during a day long show, more if it is hot. Don't skimp on the fluids, keep hydrated.
0 Likes

KG is right! You NEED to be drinking water, especially on hot days at outdoor shows. For me (and probably most people), most of that will sweat off, so it's not like you'll need a bunch of bathroom breaks. At my June show (95°F), I drank 4 bottles of water each day; some people would say that's not enough, but it's a lot for me. This past weekend (~80°F), I was out of bottled water at home, so didn't have any to take ... and the water at the show was $2 per bottle, so I only drank 2 bottles.
0 Likes

When I am doing a show in the summer, I throw at least 3 bottles of water in the freezer the night before so that they will stay cold for a while. I keep one in just the fridge so that I have one to start out with and as the day goes on I have something cold to drink. They are also a good way to keep your lunch and snacks cold if need be.
If I am alone, as long as I can keep my money on me, I don't have a problem using the rest room. I've been lucky and have always had friendly neighbors who will keep an eye on things for me and I do the same for them.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Every situation is different, if I was in the heat I would be drinking as much water as I felt I needed (a lot), and would not let myself get dehydrated.

However, most of my my solo shows were at an indoor mall show, climate controlled, I did them for 10 years, after 8 years of practice working in a small store where I would have to work 5 hour shifts by myself without breaks, I know my own body and my bladder.

Tana, you wrote that you were out of bottled water at home. Is your tap water not clean? We use our Brita water pitcher, half fill our thick plastic water bottles, put them in the freezer, then top them off with water, stick them in the cooler with some ice packs. I don't buy bottled water unless I am desperate, and will refill from the tap, or water fountain during the show if it's necessary.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I try to never do shows alone...I'm too needy. I have an indulgent wife too...I wish you all had one like her...works forever, never needs repairs...fuel costs are a little high though.
0 Likes

I'm hoping my boyfriend will be able to go with me to assist on the shows I go to. I mainly need help with set up, tear down and the whole bathroom ordeal. I'm glad I don't have to worry about him doing the "stand like an underground club bouncer" thing like a lot of men seem to like doing, according to the stories I hear on etsy. He likes to smile a lot and is more socialable than I am.

I already told him he has to go with me to Otokan. =P It's HUGE and he has never been so he could walk around and check out the other stuff cuz he's into anime, too. The vast amount of people that go there almost requires you to have two people run the table. XD And it grows every year.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I brought a friend to the last large show I did. I couldn't handle the help. I am so used to doing everything myself...but it is all what you are used to I guess.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

If you have a helper, you usually have to make the time to train them a bit, stand back and let them try things so that they can get comfortable. I've trained quite a few people in different types of retail jobs: stores, restaurants, movie theaters, so it feels natural to me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm always solo. Hubby helps me set up and comes back at requested times so I can have a bathroom break.
0 Likes

Tigers, before I discovered bottled water (after moving to California about 17 years ago), I rarely drank water! The tap water here is ok (as far as I know) but I still prefer bottled water.
0 Likes

As far as flying solo goes, I've done that for about 95% of the shows I've done over the last 35-ish years!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.