Former_Member
Ok, this is a bit of a long story, but I needed to vent and wanted to share my experience so that others could learn from it, as I have...

I was approached a couple of weeks ago by a woman who saw some of my items on my website and saw that I was local to her, about a new artisan market that her church was arranging. It was a first year event but she assured me that they were making every effort to get the word out- social marketing, flyers, advertisement in news letters for sister churches and in the ORU newsletters, etc, etc. I knew it wasn't going to be massive but I figured for the price of my space $25, even if I only got exposure to a few dozen people it might be worth it for me in the long run. I could hand out business cards and my scratch cards (prizes and discounts on them) and at least put my name out there.

So we spent the last couple weeks working out our inventory (my husband threw his shops stuff in too), making and finishing displays, etc, etc, etc. We packed everything into the SUV Friday night, stayed up late making sure I had the diaper bag packed correctly and getting the baby to bed. Got up at 5:30 am Saturday morning so we could get there for setup time from 7am-9am when the event would start. We arrived and it was a tiny little hole in the wall church within a little shopping center off a fairly busy intersection. There was a total of only 14 vendors, but I still was optimistic about it, albeit tired and exhausted already. My husband did most of the heavy lifting but the church didn't even have AC on until around 11am so we were both burning up and dripping sweat which doesn't result in looking too professional. No one started coming until about 11am which I figured would be the result anyway as a lot of people like to sleep in on Saturdays. Let me start by saying that there may have been 24 adults total that came in until we left. The majority of the people, as I came to find out, were members of the church. They brought their children along which is fully acceptable, but let them run amok without supervision as though it were any other church event. I had several children come into our small booth that I had to personally get onto (I am not a shy person). Some were literally picking things up and throwing them, or trying to peel the wrappers off of my fake cupcakes. One kid who was probably about 10 even walked up to me, and swiped my cell phone out of the cup pocket of my folding chair and started to try to play with it before I could get it back. I was appalled. I also found out, that many of the children belonged to the other vendors there, who many of which, happened to also be members of the church. It was clear to me that they were treating this event as a get together. It was like a family reunion, those that came in, talking to other church members, standing around, not looking at the vendors, or only talking to the vendors who were also members of the church. Now as I said, I am not a shy person. I engaged every single person as they walked by- even the church stewards themselves, offering my scratch cards.

Then around lunch time, we were told that if we wanted to eat, we would have to leave the premise with our food because it was a church sanctuary and they didn't want food crumbs spilled on the floor. "Are you kidding me?" I thought, I have an 8 month old who needs to be fed, plus myself and my husband were hungry, and they wanted us to leave our booth and our product alone, among all the children who were literally throwing toy cars around the room when they weren't terrorizing the vendors. So around 2pm, with only a couple of business cards taken after I practically forced them into peoples hands and no sales, we decided to pack up and leave. The event wasn't scheduled to end until 4pm so I went to the event director and let her know that we were leaving. She then proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't leave because they were just about to send the teenage members of the church out with the flyers that she had previously said would be handed out throughout the week! At 2pm, with only 2 hours left of the show, they were just about to BEGIN handing out flyers. We decided to still pack up and leave. In my vendors packet, I later found a survey asking for advice and such on how to make the market better next time. I will be sending it to them in the mail, or emailing them all of these things soon.

So anyway, from my experience, I learned a couple of things. Here we go.

1) Risers under the table are invaluable! It will definitely help keep little hands more out of reach. Kids like shiny things and colorful stuff a lot apparently. (There were still quite a few older kids that were just as destructive so it wouldn't have been foolproof)
2) Research your event a lot! When they mentioned it was in a church, I thought we would be in a bigger building, with AC and a couple different rooms at least. I assumed and I shouldn't have. I should have driven by or asked for the square footage of the building, etc. I should have asked how many other vendors were signed up for it.
3) Even if it ends up being a total flop, every show can be a lesson learned so take it in stride. I was able to take pictures of my setup and learn what I could do better for displays. I learned the above two suggestions would be important in my next search for a show. I also learned to ask more questions.
4) Advertise your events yourself. You don't have to spend money on it. Social media can do a lot for you. But even so, if you do, it still may be a flop without a strong local following.

Anyway, I also would love any input from anyone else. I am sad that the show was a flop. I didn't even make my booth money back, but I chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Ready to do my next one and make it totally awesome!
SnowmanCollector
Inspiration Seeker

Re: First show was a huge dissapointment

Did my worst show ever today. Table rental was cheap. Event was well advertised, well set up, and there were lots of people. The only problem was they weren't really there to shop. It was a town's anniversary celebration. I did not even make my table fee (which has never happened before). I was also supposed to attend tomorrow, but chose to forfeit my table fee and spend some time at home. I have read in here more than once that shows that are an add on to another event don't do well. I decided to take a chance and did not have high expectations, but I have to say, I was still disappointed. Live and learn. It certainly isn't only folks new to craft shows that pick bad ones. lol
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You've got a great attitude about the whole thing. And you're right, it's a learning experience and it won't be the last. And it can be worse. At the really big shows held in public parks, people don't supervise their dogs!. I've had more than one table cloth ruined because someone let their dog pee on it (yes, I said allow. They stood there and watched it happen. They apologized after.)
0 Likes
SnowmanCollector
Inspiration Seeker

What is the matter with some people?!? That is awful.
0 Likes

@ OP

Learning experience..

I am so sorry you had that one..

I disagree that that show would ever grow. It sounds like the people who put it on had not a single clue.. maybe some ladies who thought it would be a great fundraiser..

I would not bother giving them any feedback. It does not sound like they deserve your good ideas.

And I love children - can put on my best "teacher" voice and get them to behave. But the fact that the church group's children were running wild is the key here to me.. They showed no respect for you as an artist/ vendor. I have met people like that and they are hopeless and have no clue.

The great thing is you have some inventory - so maybe you can find a good show to do soon..

so sorry.. I guess we all do at least one that is in this class.. does not make it any more tolerable.

(I have done as many as 28 shows in a year from 1972 - 2000 and occasional shows and markets since then.. I look for repeating shows - like "art in the park" that happen monthly for a number of months.. for Phil & I, we have found it allows us to build a customer base.. farmer's markets are also good..)

good luck!
0 Likes
HipViolet
Inspiration Seeker

One good thing I have learned - if I do get approached about being a vendor by the organizer, I always ask for a list of past vendors (obviously if it's not a first-year show). Then I look through the list to see if there is anyone I know and contact them to see what they thought. Even if I don't know anyone I will still contact a few of them to get their ideas. I am SO glad I have done this before - I was very close to signing up for a show and found out it was really dead the year before and a lot of people were backing out.

I also wanted to say again that my "rules" do get broken for the right show. Two years ago I was approached about doing a first-year show by a friend. I knew she knew what she was doing and signed up. She does them 3x a year and now they all have wait-lists, but I always get in :) Yay!

I also may have a skewed view because I have two young children and lining up childcare is always a hassle AND can cost money if my husband has to work or it's on a weekday. So I rarely "take a chance" on a show because I have a bit more at stake. I am envious of people who can try any show they want - I just can't do it unless I *know* I'll make some money!

jesi
0 Likes

Oh...I am so sorry to hear that your first event was a flop. The anticipation of a first show is so exciting that the let down is soooooo bad. On my first show I bought donuts for my booth mates and ended up not making the cost of the donuts...ha.
My rules after years of shows:
- no churches
- research research research about the show you will be attending.
- no shows that do not have at least a 3 month sign up. (unless you know you are going to fill a "no-show" spot)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That sounds like such a terrible experience. Sorry you had to deal with that! I had a similar experience at a school function. It was a HUGE event, but it basically felt like being a vendor at a graduation ceremony. It was an evening event and the adults were busy drinking and socializing while their kids ran around causing trouble. I actually had one little girl take one of my headbands and told her mother I gave it to her (thankfully I got it back). It was a disaster, so I know how you feel.
0 Likes
EdwardsFarm
Inspiration Seeker

Unfortunately picking a winner for a craft show can sometimes be a guessing game. I've been doing craft shows for about 10 years. I've signed up for shows that should have been good and they weren't and then I've had some small shows turn into real winners! I have some shows that I keep from year to year but I'm always dropping some and trying new ones. Don't let a bad show turn you off from doing shows. By doing and visiting shows, you'll get a better idea of what shows look promising and are worth a try. Sometimes I just give a show a try (if the table price is cheap!) since sometimes you cannot tell if a show will work for you unless you try it.
0 Likes
LizArti
Inspiration Seeker

Sharon Swanson from SwansonGlassDesign says

- no shows that do not have at least a 3 month sign up. (unless you know you are going to fill a "no-show" spot)

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Sharon, I'm wondering the reason for your last rule. Is it because it's not juried as carefully?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.