Former_Member
Not applicable

First show was a huge dissapointment

Ok, this is a bit of a long story, but I needed to vent and wanted to share my experience so that others could learn from it, as I have...

I was approached a couple of weeks ago by a woman who saw some of my items on my website and saw that I was local to her, about a new artisan market that her church was arranging. It was a first year event but she assured me that they were making every effort to get the word out- social marketing, flyers, advertisement in news letters for sister churches and in the ORU newsletters, etc, etc. I knew it wasn't going to be massive but I figured for the price of my space $25, even if I only got exposure to a few dozen people it might be worth it for me in the long run. I could hand out business cards and my scratch cards (prizes and discounts on them) and at least put my name out there.

So we spent the last couple weeks working out our inventory (my husband threw his shops stuff in too), making and finishing displays, etc, etc, etc. We packed everything into the SUV Friday night, stayed up late making sure I had the diaper bag packed correctly and getting the baby to bed. Got up at 5:30 am Saturday morning so we could get there for setup time from 7am-9am when the event would start. We arrived and it was a tiny little hole in the wall church within a little shopping center off a fairly busy intersection. There was a total of only 14 vendors, but I still was optimistic about it, albeit tired and exhausted already. My husband did most of the heavy lifting but the church didn't even have AC on until around 11am so we were both burning up and dripping sweat which doesn't result in looking too professional. No one started coming until about 11am which I figured would be the result anyway as a lot of people like to sleep in on Saturdays. Let me start by saying that there may have been 24 adults total that came in until we left. The majority of the people, as I came to find out, were members of the church. They brought their children along which is fully acceptable, but let them run amok without supervision as though it were any other church event. I had several children come into our small booth that I had to personally get onto (I am not a shy person). Some were literally picking things up and throwing them, or trying to peel the wrappers off of my fake cupcakes. One kid who was probably about 10 even walked up to me, and swiped my cell phone out of the cup pocket of my folding chair and started to try to play with it before I could get it back. I was appalled. I also found out, that many of the children belonged to the other vendors there, who many of which, happened to also be members of the church. It was clear to me that they were treating this event as a get together. It was like a family reunion, those that came in, talking to other church members, standing around, not looking at the vendors, or only talking to the vendors who were also members of the church. Now as I said, I am not a shy person. I engaged every single person as they walked by- even the church stewards themselves, offering my scratch cards.

Then around lunch time, we were told that if we wanted to eat, we would have to leave the premise with our food because it was a church sanctuary and they didn't want food crumbs spilled on the floor. "Are you kidding me?" I thought, I have an 8 month old who needs to be fed, plus myself and my husband were hungry, and they wanted us to leave our booth and our product alone, among all the children who were literally throwing toy cars around the room when they weren't terrorizing the vendors. So around 2pm, with only a couple of business cards taken after I practically forced them into peoples hands and no sales, we decided to pack up and leave. The event wasn't scheduled to end until 4pm so I went to the event director and let her know that we were leaving. She then proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't leave because they were just about to send the teenage members of the church out with the flyers that she had previously said would be handed out throughout the week! At 2pm, with only 2 hours left of the show, they were just about to BEGIN handing out flyers. We decided to still pack up and leave. In my vendors packet, I later found a survey asking for advice and such on how to make the market better next time. I will be sending it to them in the mail, or emailing them all of these things soon.

So anyway, from my experience, I learned a couple of things. Here we go.

1) Risers under the table are invaluable! It will definitely help keep little hands more out of reach. Kids like shiny things and colorful stuff a lot apparently. (There were still quite a few older kids that were just as destructive so it wouldn't have been foolproof)
2) Research your event a lot! When they mentioned it was in a church, I thought we would be in a bigger building, with AC and a couple different rooms at least. I assumed and I shouldn't have. I should have driven by or asked for the square footage of the building, etc. I should have asked how many other vendors were signed up for it.
3) Even if it ends up being a total flop, every show can be a lesson learned so take it in stride. I was able to take pictures of my setup and learn what I could do better for displays. I learned the above two suggestions would be important in my next search for a show. I also learned to ask more questions.
4) Advertise your events yourself. You don't have to spend money on it. Social media can do a lot for you. But even so, if you do, it still may be a flop without a strong local following.

Anyway, I also would love any input from anyone else. I am sad that the show was a flop. I didn't even make my booth money back, but I chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Ready to do my next one and make it totally awesome!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
33 Replies

Re: First show was a huge dissapointment

WOW, I thought I had been in bad shows before, but I think this takes the cake. I totally concur with kids around the table. I go into a panic when I see a kid approaching without a parent. I just don't get parents who let their kids run uncontrolled through craft shows. That's my biggest pet peeve. One thing I learned about doing a new craft show is to go to the event first and talk to vendors at that show before I sign up for the next year. We all learn from our experiences and improve along the way. Hope your next one is great!
0 Likes

Good grief, what a nightmare! I'm cringeing at the thought of unsupervised children destroying your goods! And I would have felt VERY much out of place if it was obvious everyone else there was a church member and they all knew each other. How horrible.

Look at it this way: it couldn't get worse, could it? You had a rotten first experience, but please don't let that discourage you. I'll be doing my first show this coming December, and have already decided that if it doesn't go well, I will forge ahead and move on to better venues!

When you write your "review" for the director, make sure you've calmed down and state everything in a factual manner. You might also hint that a booth refund is in order, considering there was no advertising, as promised. (Isn't that breech of contract?) Then at least you'd only be out your effort and time.

Thank you for the tips - at least some good came from your experience.
0 Likes
LizArti
Inspiration Seeker

oh MY! I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. Unbelievable!!!

I find it especially ironic that the space was too sacrosanct to eat in, yet the children in the same space were completely disrespectful of you and your work.

I have participated in two church events and... never again. My experience wasn't as bad as yours, but they were both a complete waste of time.

I would add another lesson to the ones you learned - be especially leary of anyone approaching YOU. Any successful event will be turning away vendors and doesn't need to solicit more.
0 Likes

Oh geez! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I'm glad you are able to take away some things from this whole experience.
0 Likes
HipViolet
Inspiration Seeker

Yikes! That sounds like a total nightmare!!

Because of similar experiences, three of my cardinal rules for craft shows are:

1) I never do first-year shows
2) I never do shows in church basements
3) I never do a show without visiting one first to make sure it's the right fit.

That all being said, I do break my rules sometimes ;)

My first show ever was terrible too, but I ended up meeting my best friend and booth-sharing mate for 3 years (until she recently moved) so I have also found that for every bad show, there is SOMETHING good that comes out of it! :)

Better luck next time!
jesi
0 Likes

Oh, I'm so sorry that it was so bad! Not all church shows are like that. One of my best is a church show.

I'm at a loss about the eating in the church thing. We have coffee and doughnuts and even full meals inside our sanctuary all the time. I think our pastor subscribes to the "happy tummies make happy people" philosophy!

I guess it really pays to research a show first.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Your first show story has got to be the worst I've ever heard! I hope our future shows are more successful! My first show was a first show, and I only sold one pair of earrings...I still do first shows now and then, I try to believe that getting in on the ground floor so to speak, may lead to some success for me!
OK, so I'm an optimist.

@ Lizarti: "I would add another lesson to the ones you learned - be especially leary of anyone approaching YOU. Any successful event will be turning away vendors and doesn't need to solicit more."
i don't agree with this statement. A lot of shows have vendors that are not participating because of the economy and perceived low sales. I've been asked to participate in a few shows from my shop being found on here on Etsy, and 2 of them are my most successful shows of the year! so ya never know!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Lisa from StudioRoseBoutique says
When you write your "review" for the director, make sure you've calmed down and state everything in a factual manner.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No worries. I am always very professional on matters like these. I just am still amazed though that it was so ill managed in general.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. Glad to know that I am not the only one who has had a rough first show. I'm hoping that my next one will be much better. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

kawaiibuddiesfromkawaiibuddies says

Lisa from StudioRoseBoutique says
When you write your "review" for the director, make sure you've calmed down and state everything in a factual manner.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No worries. I am always very professional on matters like these. I just am still amazed though that it was so ill managed in general.
-_____________________________________________

Shows are a lot of work for organizers. I don't think people really understand how much work they are. Being that this was the shows first year, I would expect issues. Especially if its a church show..its probably all volunteer and are still learning.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

LizArtifromLizArti says

I would add another lesson to the ones you learned - be especially leary of anyone approaching YOU. Any successful event will be turning away vendors and doesn't need to solicit more.

I totally disagree. Some of my best shows have been by invitation only. How do you think the large shows started? They didn't suddenly have 250 vendors. They grew.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I no longer do church shows...the churches see it as their fund raiser and once they have your $ the job is done.

The eating thing is odd...the only church show I ever did I was placed next door to the kitchen and in back of the cake walk. Lots of eating going on.
0 Likes

Wow, I think you take the prize for the worst 1st show ever! So sorry!

I don't panic at the sight of children, since my items are kid friendly & it's good when they are attracted to my items. But I can't believe that they were so uncontrolled. I agree with Lizarti, the children should be expected to respect the church & other people' property!

Most of the shows that I do are at churches. Some are better than others, but the organizers & the customers have always been friendly & respectful.

Hope your next show is a best ever!
0 Likes

Wow, that sounds awful.. so sorry it went so badly!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

BellaSweetJewelryfromBellaSweetJewelry says

LizArtifromLizArti says

I totally disagree. Some of my best shows have been by invitation only. How do you think the large shows started? They didn't suddenly have 250 vendors. They grew
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree as well. I just organized an event, and by the end it was a bit heavy in one department. So I went scouting. and got 5 more vendors that evened it all out and made for a great show.

I do both large and small shows. Any of them can be hit or miss. I remember doing a school gym show and not making my booth fee back. when I was packing up (which i am SO SLOW at!) a guy asked if he could look thru my boxes. Sure whatever. He bought $200 worth of stuff. whoo hoo!
0 Likes
LizArti
Inspiration Seeker

uh oh. Three people disagreeing with me! I'll have to rethink my stance.

Maybe it's because I'm in the NYC metropolitan area and there are SO many crafters and shows?

Just wondering - Is there anyone out there that agrees with me?
0 Likes
RoyGBivandCO
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Liz; I somewhat agree with you re being careful when organizers approach you, however, sometimes it can work to your benefit. One event I did last year which I was very happy with emailed me last week as I had not signed up for this years show (mostly because I have many shows to pick from each weekend and I was slow deciding!). I replied that although I had enjoyed last years show their fee was double other similar shows I did. Guess what, they quickly offered me 50% off their fee!

I have done two church events, one was a dud and the other was great......you just never know!
0 Likes

My first show was totally awful! I am doing my second this weekend with higher hopes. I am glad to hear that you are taking it as a learning experience if nothing else. When I was devastated after the flop of my first show someone told me: "It's only a failure if you do it twice." And it's an excellent point. I learned a lot - about choosing a venue that speaks to my demographic, to study the show more BEFORE I apply for it, and a lot about displays. Keep your head up and move on to the next with more knowledge than the first time!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

jesi from HipViolet says:
1) I never do first-year shows
2) I never do shows in church basements
3) I never do a show without visiting one first to make sure it's the right fit.

I totally agree, Jesi. I'd add school/pto shows to your #2 as well. My first 2 shows were a church and a pto show. Sold nothing at either. I'm glad kawaiibuddies saw her experience as a learning one. It's been 4 years for me and I'm still learning.

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I'm finding that both last year and this one have been really hard on craft show vendors in general. Many of my shows last year were only half as successful as 2010 and I've only had 2 "successful" shows so far this year. I'm hoping the fall/winter will bring out the holiday shoppers.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

LizArti from LizArti says

uh oh. Three people disagreeing with me! I'll have to rethink my stance.

Maybe it's because I'm in the NYC metropolitan area and there are SO many crafters and shows?

Just wondering - Is there anyone out there that agrees with me?
---------------------------------------------------------------
I used to agree. but with the amount of craphole fairs around here I appreciate someone (sometimes being me) that wants to create a well rounded, non china venue.

as for first show...I think it totally depends on the circumstance. my team has had 3 "first shows" (now on our second) and they were all great. mainly because we have 75 promoters :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jan from Jansjems says:

I totally agree, Jesi. I'd add school/pto shows to your #2 as well. My first 2 shows were a church and a pto show. Sold nothing at either. I'm glad kawaiibuddies saw her experience as a learning one. It's been 4 years for me and I'm still learning.

It's also my turn to disagree; while I have sworn off church shows (my items just don't sell, nothing like the awfulness that kawaiibuddies survived!) I get wonderful sales at school shows. My largest (and most profitable) shows last year were all at schools. They're very well advertised and people know that they happen annually. I love them!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I feel your pain, my first show was terrible - the people running it were clearly only after the table fee. FOUR potential customers came :o
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

AW, that sounds exactly like my first experience of a fair!

I was seated next to the organisers booth, and he even spent the whole day telling me how much he hated the internet and would never use it to publicise anything, even if someone offered to do the publicity for him!

It wasn't a very expensive stall, but I literally only just covered the cost of it, and was really annoyed at the organiser as I felt like his inability to publicise it meant I'd wasted my day.

It taught me never to do church hall type fairs, or school fairds because people come with very low budgets, and are often just lookinjg for a way to keep their kids entertained for the day, not looking to spend money on gifts etc

I now always enquire about publicity for the event. I'm also happier to shell out a bit more for an event that has been well publicised, though I still don't do those expensive trade fairs.

Don't worry, doing fairs and other events is a steep learning curve! I think I made a £1 profit at my first fair, and I now regularly make £150-£200!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I do one church show a year. I've done it for about 5 years and that 2 day show($45 booth fee) is better than some of my 40k attended shows :) Why? Its local, my local following always shows up and I have tons of repeat customers.

So I never say "I never do _______ shows" because you never know how its going to be. Gotta take a chance sometimes.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I take a chance on shows. There is one show I won't do this year, though. It is an Eagles post show. Last year there were few attendees for the two day show. I made fourty dollars over the booth fee. I was the only one. All of the other vendors lost money. I made money from the other vendors, who, of course, get a discount.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.