Former_Member
Hi Everyone,

Today, we introduced a few updates to the way that you add weights and dimensions to listings, set your Package Preferences, and have shipping costs calculated. These changes have been made due, in large part, to the feedback and suggestions that you’ve been offering in this team. Thank you for taking the time to do so!

What’s new?

- Easily Add Weight and Dimensions to Listings via Quick Edit -

It is now possible to easily add a weight, size, and calculated profile to each of your listings via Quick Edit on the Listings Manager page. Check it out now by going to Your Shop > Listings > Listings Manager and clicking “Quick Edit.”

- Add a Height for Flat Rate Envelopes & Flat Rate Padded Envelopes -

Many of you expressed that the height of Flat Rate Envelopes may vary for your orders. Today, we added the ability to enter a custom height when you add Flat Rate Envelope as a Package Preference.

- Elect to use common Etsy package sizes -

If you decide to set Package Preferences, you will now have the option to choose whether or not you’d also like to use Etsy common package sizes. If an order does not fit into one of the package preferences that you’ve set, it will be calculated to fit into one of the common Etsy package sizes.

You may also now see the dimensions for those packages so you can get a better sense of the packages that those orders will be calculated to fit into. To do so click the “?” next to “Use common Etsy package sizes.” If do not want to use Etsy common package sizes you may turn them off after adding your Package Preferences.

- Calculating for the Smallest & Cheapest Shipping Method -

Until now, shipping for orders was calculated based on the smallest package that was eligible to ship the items in the order. Today, we added logic that will consider both size and price when identifying which package to use when costs. First, we’ll find the smallest packages that are eligible to ship the items, then from those we will find the cheapest option.

We hope these changes will make calculated shipping an even better experience for your shop. Please feel free to share your feedback on how these updates are working for you below!
GRITSGirlz
Conversation Maker

Re: Updates to Package Preferences, Shipping Cost Calculation, and Quickly Adding Weights & Sizes

FEEDBACK: Quick Edit functionality is great, but please alphabetize the dropdown list of shipping profiles.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Re: Updates to Package Preferences, Shipping Cost Calculation, and Quickly Adding Weights & Sizes

"Last, you can check your shipping by either signing out of your etsy ID and going back as a shopper and put things in your cart. Or you can open to your shop in a different browser and not sign in and shop that way."

Is that the only way a seller can give a shipping quote on multiple items to a buyer? I've tried it and Etsy say's "you can't buy your own item"! There must be a better way for this! Sure do need to know!TYIA, Gigi and Warren Anderson

0 Likes
VintageHipDecor
Inspiration Seeker

I am currently going through and converting all my product items to calculated shipping. {I mostly sell furniture which is a whole another animal when it comes to shipping, but I am using this feature for the paint products that I sell} I am pretty happy with all of the options so far. Everyone's posts in this thread have coached me through the process.

One thing that really sets me back with my listings is not being able to add more than one weight per listing. I do use variations in my listings and I find it vital because I fear customers will not realize there may be other options in other listings. I know for a fact that many customers do not read the item descriptions or click around the shipping tab because many ask me questions via Etsy conversations that could be answered by reading the item description. So since I know there are buyers out there who do not bother with reading and clicking around a bit first, I insist on using variations. I really hope that we will be able to add the weights and dimensions for each item listed in a variation listing soon.

I saw that this topic was discussed already and it was said that they are working on adding this feature. I hope it will be soon because I am forced to add the weight and size of the larger items available which will make shipping more expense for my customers and I will have to manually refund shipping overages.

Any new information on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
0 Likes
VintageHipDecor
Inspiration Seeker

Also, if I can add one more thing. I added USPS Media Mail as an option for customers to choose at check out, since it offers such inexpensive shipping rates, but I noticed that it does not specify in the drop down options for shipping in checkout how long each type of shipping takes.

Media mail can take 2 - 8 days to reach the customer, while priority mail only take 1 - 3 days. Up to this point we have only offered priority mail and customers all mention how fast shipping is in their reviews of our store. I would hate for customers to reflect unhappiness with longer shipping times in their reviews because they did not realize media mail takes longer.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the expected shipping times to that drop down menu for shipping during the check out process so that customers know exactly what they are paying for when it comes to shipping. Please let me know if there is someone or some other outlet I should use to express this need.
0 Likes

Amanda,
You can NOT put media mail on items like paints, glitter etc that do not qualify for media mail.

Media mail is ONLY for books/cd's/printed matter.
Magazines are not included if they contain advertisements.
Go to USPS and you can see exactly what does qualify for media mail.

Shipping via media mail also gives USPS the right to open a package to make sure the contents are media mail and will either send your item back to you or charge your buyer additional postage.

Delivery times do not show on the drop down menu for shipping methods.

I wanted to add if someone buys one of your items and selects media mail you will have to mail it another way and you will end up losing money.
0 Likes
VintageHipDecor
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you for letting me know about media mail. I removed it immediately. Sorry, I was not aware it was very limited. I only changed it today so, fortunately I did not receive any orders with this option.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

well I have a issue I cant seem to find the add more to your order shipping price option and when you and different sizes they have different weights and different size boxes IE different shipping price :( where would that option be ?

0 Likes

Candle Box, if I'm understanding your question, you're looking for the "with another item" entry? You don't use that with calculated shipping. You enter the item size (plus bubble wrap if needed) and the weight with all packing including the box. In your package preferences area include a selection of boxes that will fit multiple items. The calculator will add up the sizes and weights and give the customer a combined total. It will suggest a box to use, but you can use whatever you have that fits (just be sure it isn't too far off so the weight doesn't change the price).
0 Likes

Hi, I have my entire inventory listed with calculated shipping based on weight with a $1.00 packaging fee added to each order to help with shipping supply cost. When a customer needs to know what the combined shipping cost is for a group of items and they add the items to the shipping cart they don't see any option for FedEx! All that is shown is usps priority mail and parcel select. Am I missing something here?? Also the only way I can calculate a cost to ship for customers that are computer challenged and need a quote is to close my browser open a new browser and enter etsy as a looker without signing in. That's how I realized that FedEx is not offered as an option for a shipping quote. Any help would be appreciated!!
0 Likes

Gigi and Warren, Fedex isn't an option for calculated shipping, so you aren't doing anything wrong.

I usually just let the customer know if they add everything they want to their cart, the shipping shown will be accurate but if for some reason it seems off, I would be happy to verify it for them. Hopefully it makes them more self sufficient.
0 Likes

Thank You!!
0 Likes

I am frustrated with having tried to edit several things at once and how it did not take into account variations (I do not use this too often so I did not catch a few of them) - for instance, someone just ordered a larger item that had been listed specified as the options to buy one or buy other or buy both (not in those words lol) but this ended up that she recieved both items for the price of one and at the shipping price of the smaller piece (large agate bookends) as it seems to have stopped the ability for the variations when I did the change over - they had to be redone. As I did not know this I have lost out on 2 shippings a total of about $35.00 and I do not have this kind of money laying around. I have a lot of double checking to do - this can be a very long process
0 Likes

@Kristy Jo, There's never been an option to charge more for shipping in the instance you described. You shipping should have been listed as if the person were buying both no matter what they choose. You would then have to refund if they purchased just one. Unfortunately, variations and shipping are two separate beasts.

I have read reports in bugs that the changeover to the new variation format caused the prices to all reset to the least expensive price. So for that, you have a legitimate issue, but the shipping did what it was designed to do.

I have a lot of what I consider duplicate listings because I sell discs, for example, in sets of 12, 25, 50 and 100. I can't ship 100 discs for the same price I ship 12, so they are in separate listings with the appropriate weight and size in each.
0 Likes

Is there a feature for having different shipping weights calculated in variations. Ex: 4oz. size & 8oz. size will not ship at the same price but I want to make them available in one listing and have it automatically calculated.
0 Likes

Phyllis there is no way to assign different weights or shipping profiles to variations.

There's not much difference between mailing a 4 oz item ($2.61) and mailing a 8 oz. item ($2.77) with first class shipping.

I'd just figure shipping on the 8 oz item.

You can do:
1. Separate listings.
2. Add in the extra shipping to the heavier items price.
3. Put the weight for the heavier item and refund overages.
0 Likes

Does anyone know why I can't access my shipping profiles? With the new shop manager update, I can't seem to find my shipping profiles or any option for calculated shipping. I just added a new listing since the updates and I'm feeling pretty frustrated with the whole thing.
0 Likes

These are under settings on the left on the new shop manager section.
Click on it and you'll see the link to shipping settings for your shipping profiles and package preference options.

As for listing items, nothing has changed.
Your calculated shipping profiles are still in the shipping section on the listing page.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.