Former_Member
Not applicable

Updates to Package Preferences, Shipping Cost Calculation, and Quickly Adding Weights & Sizes

Hi Everyone,

Today, we introduced a few updates to the way that you add weights and dimensions to listings, set your Package Preferences, and have shipping costs calculated. These changes have been made due, in large part, to the feedback and suggestions that you’ve been offering in this team. Thank you for taking the time to do so!

What’s new?

- Easily Add Weight and Dimensions to Listings via Quick Edit -

It is now possible to easily add a weight, size, and calculated profile to each of your listings via Quick Edit on the Listings Manager page. Check it out now by going to Your Shop > Listings > Listings Manager and clicking “Quick Edit.”

- Add a Height for Flat Rate Envelopes & Flat Rate Padded Envelopes -

Many of you expressed that the height of Flat Rate Envelopes may vary for your orders. Today, we added the ability to enter a custom height when you add Flat Rate Envelope as a Package Preference.

- Elect to use common Etsy package sizes -

If you decide to set Package Preferences, you will now have the option to choose whether or not you’d also like to use Etsy common package sizes. If an order does not fit into one of the package preferences that you’ve set, it will be calculated to fit into one of the common Etsy package sizes.

You may also now see the dimensions for those packages so you can get a better sense of the packages that those orders will be calculated to fit into. To do so click the “?” next to “Use common Etsy package sizes.” If do not want to use Etsy common package sizes you may turn them off after adding your Package Preferences.

- Calculating for the Smallest & Cheapest Shipping Method -

Until now, shipping for orders was calculated based on the smallest package that was eligible to ship the items in the order. Today, we added logic that will consider both size and price when identifying which package to use when costs. First, we’ll find the smallest packages that are eligible to ship the items, then from those we will find the cheapest option.

We hope these changes will make calculated shipping an even better experience for your shop. Please feel free to share your feedback on how these updates are working for you below!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
258 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Updates to Package Preferences, Shipping Cost Calculation, and Quickly Adding Weights & Sizes

AWESOME!!!!!!!! Thank you!
0 Likes

Re: Updates to Package Preferences, Shipping Cost Calculation, and Quickly Adding Weights & Sizes

Kathy, I can hear you all the way in Georgia, girl!

Thank you so much, Mike, Calia, and Etsy! Pat each other on the back for a job well done. You are busy bees today!

As I wrote earlier in another thread......

All of my listings for the Priority Large Flat Rate box have been set up, everything is looking good. Went out of my shop and "shopped" in my shop, tried different zip codes, all looks well. If a customer orders 3 items and all three need separate LFR boxes, that is how the calculator assigns them, as 3 different boxes. Prices all look well.

I had 2 or 3 listings that got put in a large flat rate box that are too big to fit in a flat rate box. All I had to do was make a simple adjustment and raise the height in the listings to an inch. Measurements on a LFR box are 12 x 12 x 5 1/2. I raised the height to 7 on these listings so the calculator cannot put them in the LFR box now. Keep that in mind.

Am working on the medium flat rate box now.
0 Likes

Thanks Mike - I am not getting my dimensions to stick using the quick edit. I don't see a "save" button, so I assume when I exit quick edit, they should stick, but the changes are not sticking.
0 Likes

This is working great, Mike and Calia..........

- Easily Add Weight and Dimensions to Listings via Quick Edit -

Thank you! Such a time saver!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

lol Ginger - so you heard me eh? It is fantastic.

I have to say that I've used the Quick Edit to change item weights and dimensions with no problem at all. What a time saver this is!
0 Likes

I heard you to Kathy!

That's great about being able to quick edit weights/dimensions if we need too instead of going to each item.

Getting better all the time!

Just had another multiorder sale and CS calculated perfectly!
0 Likes

Can't wait to try - thanks
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Wonderful news!! Thanks so much for the updates!
0 Likes

Mike and Calia, I have now set my shop up with small flat rate, medium flat rate and large flat rate boxes. All is going well! Thank you so much!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This should be a time saver. I am adding new products to my shop so this will be so helpful.
0 Likes
umeone
Post Crafter

If I copy the profile, so that I don't have to go through picking out Countries that I would just rather not send to but, it looks like it will still use the same size box.
I ship USPS Priority Mail but, the list of boxes that Etsy shows are not the size box I use the most, like 7x7x6 or 12x12x8 and shoebox, I'm just confused! Do I have to go through and make a profile from scratch for each box I use?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Linda, at the bottom of the Shipping Profile page there is the ability to add Preferences - that is where you enter all the box sizes you want to use. You can then uncheck that box for Etsy Common Sizes. That way the calculator will only draw from the boxes you want to use.

You don't have to add anything to your profile or make more profiles.
0 Likes
aPinkButterfly
Inspiration Seeker

Hi! I'm so glad that we have calculated shipping now!

Does the weight for each item have to be done individually? I'm not finding another way. It doesn't let me change them to the shipping profile with the calculated shipping until I enter the weight. If they are the same for 32 items, I would like to do them all at once. Thank you:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Michelle, at this time you do have to enter the weight and dimensions and attach the shipping profile to each listing separately.

Hopefully, in the future they will figure out a better way to do this with all items that are the same at one time, but for now, no.

Just be happy you can do this in Quick Edit. When we started here we had to go into every listing to do this. I have over 400 listings so it took a long time. I too have similar items. I have well over a hundred candle melt sets and also over a hundred votive sets. They all have the same weight and dimensions and profile, but I had to input that stuff into each listing individually.
0 Likes
aPinkButterfly
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Kathy! I love your shop! I went through and gave some hearts earlier:) it looks so yummy!

Thank you for the information. I didn't know if I missed that or if just hadn't happened yet in this prototype. Good to know. :) And yes, I'm definitely glad that I can do it in the quick edit. It sounds like you had to do a lot more work!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey Michelle, you are a candle maker too! We don't compete though because I don't use Soy.

This calculator is really great for us and multiple orders. Glad I could remind you of the Quick Edit, it does make it faster.
0 Likes
umeone
Post Crafter

Thank you Kathy, so will Etsy still calculate the weight when I uncheck the Etsy Common Size? Sorry I'm easily confused but, extremely happy we are moving forward with the calculator! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Linda, yes, it still calculates - the difference is that it will only use the boxes you have listed in Preferences - it won't put things in those other box sizes listed under Etsy common box sizes.

I have these listed in my Preferences

Regional Rate A
Regional Rate B
Small Flat Rate
Medium Flat Rate
large Flat Rate
12x12x8
7x7x6
6x4x4
9x4x4
12x4x4

These are the boxes I use, so the calculator uses these box sizes to put my items in - if the largest of these boxes gets filled up, it will start another box. It will never go to an oversized box or a box I don't have or use.

Hope that helps
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you decide to go with Preferences only, you do want to be sure to include all the boxes you want to use.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Let me also add that this method may not work for everyone. I know Pat has a vintage shop and she uses all kinds of different boxes for her items, whatever she can find. She does not use Preferences.

My items are handmade and uniform. I buy specific boxes for specific items and I buy those in bulk. Or I use the free Priority USPS boxes. So for me, Preferences is the best choice.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I really like the calculated shipping so far. Still adjusting my costs and trial and error, but I did get my first sale the day after I started using calculated shipping.
0 Likes

I have items that are very light weight, all less than 6 oz, so the boxes weigh more than my items. How about giving us a way to input the weight of the boxes so that the total weight is more accurate when I finished packing? For instance, an item weighs 5oz, but because of its size I need to use a 10x10x8 box that weighs 10oz. So I set the item's weight to be 15.4oz (adding the packing materials) in my list. Another small item weighs only .5oz, but to allow for the bubble envelope I use for this item, I set the weight to be 1oz.

If a customer buys both items, they can be placed in the same 10x10x8 box, and the total weight used to calculate would be 16.4oz, just missing the first class mail rate. In reality, the total of the items is 5.5oz, and the total of the package is 15.9oz. A small difference, but can be a lot of difference in the fee charged especially for international mailing. If we can input the weight of the mailing boxes, the calculation of weight is much more accurate especially if you process a lot of combined orders.

Any thoughts on this?
0 Likes

Hi Janet. You just fell into the rabbit hole of those of us who want a "with another item" weight and those who don't. I'm hoping for the same thing you are. I'd like to enter the weight of an item in a box and the weight without so that multiples don't add the weight of the box each time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Janet you could just input the weight for the 1 larger item at 14.9 instead of 15.4. Then when an additional item of 1 oz is added it would come out to the perfect weight.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.