Former_Member
Not applicable

Package Preferences

Ok, I'm working on setting this up and I'm learning so much!! So for Package Preferences, does it just combine items and use the best box available box? Does the Package Preferences usually work well? Is it pretty accurate? Also, can you explain the package fee a little further? What should I be putting there exactly? Thanks!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: Package Preferences

+++ So for Package Preferences, does it just combine items and use the best box available box? Does the Package Preferences usually work well? +++

I've had no problem with Package Preferences. Yes, I think it works well. And yes, the calculator combines items and uses the best box available. It has been accurate for my shop.

++++Also, can you explain the package fee a little further? What should I be putting there exactly? Thanks! ++++ You can add on a box fee, if you have to purchase a box, or add on the cost of bubble wrap, shipping paper, etc. That fee will be added PER BOX. Or you can put any of that in the "handling fee" section on your calculated shipping profile, but the handling fee is added to EACH item that is ordered.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Ginger! So good to see you here again.

Ellen - Package Preferences works very well if you have a good amount of your boxes listed there. I personally have about 12 boxes listed, including selecting from the drop down menu there for flat rate and regional rate boxes.

It's good to have a range of sizes but you don't have to list everyone. For instance I use both a 6x4x3 and 6x4x4 box. But I only list the 6x4x4 box in package preferences. When the calculator selects the 6x4x4 box, sometimes I use it and sometimes I use my 6x4x3 box - I can still use whatever box I want no matter what the calculator selects.

The important thing is to get the weight right in your listing - it should be the item packed up in a box ready to ship. That way if only 1 item is bought, you have the proper shipping amount. This sometimes needs to be adjusted slightly but this is the general rule.

The dimensions should be the item itself plus any packing material around it but NOT the shipping box dimensions. That is so the calculator can "fit" multiple items into one box.

If you have an item that you want to ship alone - maybe it is large or maybe delicate and needs a lot of packing and you don't want it to combine with other items - then for that item you are best to put the dimensions of the item in the box.

I know it sounds complicated, but as you work on your items you start to get the hang of it.

As Ginger said - you have two opportunities to add fees. Just remember if you add a fee to the box - you must also list all of your boxes and uncheck use Etsy common sizes or the calculator might choose a box you don't have listed and then you will not get that fee.

And if you add the fee to the shipping profile - then every item bought with that profile on it will be charged the fee.

For instance, for my pens I have a separate profile with a 50 cent fee on it because it can ship first class and I need to add insurance to it. But for my candles which are lower in price, I do not put a fee on the profiles for them. I do have a 50 cent fee on almost all my boxes to cover the cost of boxes and bubble wrap.

For the most part on my orders, the 50 cent box fee is all I collect per order. But for the pens, I will get 50 from the profile and 50 from the box fee - so I will collect $1 for each pen which covers insurance and the box.

I hope that helps.
0 Likes
HelloFlytrap
Conversation Maker

Pardon my stupidity, but where do you set up package preferences? And can you set them up if you don't do Etsy shipping labels?
0 Likes

For calculated shipping the package preferences are on the shipping profile set up page.

You have to set up calculated shipping profiles first then you can either use "etsy's common box sizes" or your own box/mailer sizes in package preferences or use both.

A hint, if using mailers and you list in the package preference section, you need to put MORE than 1" for the height if you can get more than 1 item in them.

If you can get 4 items for example in a mailer you'd need to put the height 4", not 1".
If you only put 1" then CS will only put 1 item per mailer.

If you go to the post office to mail items you can select "Retail rates" and NOT etsy postage rates.

If you select etsy's rates and go to the PO to mail items then you'll end up losing money because etsy's rates are a lot less than retail.

It's sooooooo much easier to use Etsy shipping labels, than going to the PO to mail items, standing in line, having to come back home and enter in tracking #'s for orders.

By printing your labels on etsy all the tracking # is automatically sent to your buyer PLUS you get a LOT cheaper rates than the PO has. Just put them in your mailbox, drop them off at the PO or request carrier pickup.

Jen I also replied to your question on the forums.
Just LOGOUT or use another browser and add items to your cart to see all the shipping methods you offer.
0 Likes

I set up the package preference section. I did First Class mail (added the envelope size), Flat Rate Envelope, Rerigional A box, then unchecked Common box sizes"

Then I want to set up my Shipping Profile, I don't see my package choice. I see only First Class Mail, Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express.... So I don't see Flat Rate choice.

Then I see the item listing, There are no choice for flat rate box for the shipping.
If customer wants to order 6 items from my shop, first class mail is $7.05. but I can use Flat Rate envelope and it cost $6.40. But there are no choice for flat rate envelope for shipping. I see Priority mail $9.25 for 6 items.
I don't know how I can fix this problem.
Please help!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's good you set up package preferences. Those are the boxes and mailers the calculator will use to pack your items.

You don't select these in your profiles or listings. The calculator looks at these when an order comes in and determines what box it fits in for the best rate. If your item dimensions are correct it will fit multiple items into your boxes.

A profile is only to set what mail classes you offer, what countries you ship to, and whether you want a handling fee charged to each item purchased.

If you only want to charge a fee once per box then put a fee on your boxes in package preferences.

For your item dimensions be sure it is for the item only and Not the shipping box. Item dimensions must fit into your box dimensions in order to fit multiple items in a box, the dimensions must be able to fit multiples.

For mailers listed in package preferences you must put a height on them that will fit multiples so if your item is an inch or less in height and you can fit 2 in a mailer then make the mailer height 2 inches. If you fit 3 items make the height 3inches. This applies to flat rate envelopes as well. You must enter a height.

Also make sure your profile has both first class and priority mail classes in it. The calculator needs to be able to jump to the next mail class when the weight goes over a pound. But it sounds like you have done that.

Keep testing and adjust your item dimensions until you get the proper results.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yumiko - it looks like you sell yarn - what are the dimensions on those? I may be able to help you determine what dimensions you need on your mailers if I know that.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.