Handling fees

So I'm trying to understand how handling fees will work.

Right now, with regular shipping, I have a set price, with a fee of 25 cents for each additional item.

The thing about most of my items is, I can fit about 8 cards into a bubble mailer, but anything more than that I have to jump up to a box.

So how do I set things up to account for a customer who orders 5 cards, versus a customer who orders 12.

My handling fee for 12 is going to be higher to cover the cost of the box and bubble wrap.

Just not sure how to make this work.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: Handling fees

I guess what I'd like is to have a base handling fee for the first item, then an additional amount added for each item the customer purchases, just as it works now.

Then the postage by weight could be added on by the calculator.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Laura Haggarty from KatyDidsCards says:

I guess what I'd like is to have a base handling fee for the first item, then an additional amount added for each item the customer purchases, just as it works now.

Then the postage by weight could be added on by the calculator.

Hi Laura,

It sounds like you might benefit from setting both an item-level handling fee in your calculated profiles and a package fee under Package Preferences.

A package fee will be applied once per package, no matter the number of items in the package. That may serve as your base while the handling fee you add to your profile will increase according to the number of items in the package.

Learn more about setting up Package Preferences in this FAQ: https://www.etsy.com/help/article/6167
0 Likes

Ah, but you see, the package changes once I get past a certain number of items. So that won't work I don't think.
0 Likes

Laura, you can define different size packages in the preferred package area. That allows you to assign a handling fee based on the package size. So maybe .50 for a bubble mailer and 2.00 for a box.
0 Likes

Wonderful - I've just set up 8 of my largest items for calculated shipping. And I was curious about the difference between the package and item handling fee. Now I see that they are cumulative.

I gotta tell you this is beyond wonderful for me. One of these large boxes costs $12 to ship to FL (priority mail), but will cost $56 to ship to San Diego. Instead of putting my shipping somewhere in the middle and hope it all balances in the end... I am thrilled.
0 Likes

Wow, that's quite a price difference! I'm not sure if you have considered it, but you can add parcel select to your shipping profile to help lower the cost to California.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.