Former_Member
Not applicable

Calculated shipping way too low?

Okay, so I have a few large items in my shop that are well outside of the weight allowed for first class within the US. One in particular is a throw blanket that weighs 3 lbs by itself, plus I added in weight for a box. Went to check the shipping, and it's showing as something around $8? USPS says it would cost around $20 to ship. And obviously, as I'm checking from my own profile, I can't add to cart to see if it changes. Am I doing something wrong?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Calculated shipping way too low?

You need to change to different zip codes. A 3 lb. package shipping within your own zip code can very well be only $8 - but shipping across country can be vastly different.

All you have to do is go to your listing and change the zip code. You don't need to add it to your cart to see different zip code shipping. Just remember to change back to your own zip code before you are done.

If you do want to check something in your cart either sign out of your Etsy ID and go back to your shop and you will be able to put things in your cart. You can also view your shop from a different browser to see things and add to your cart.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I can tell you something is way off with this item
https://www.etsy.com/listing/228440243/large-throw-blanket-tree-of-life-decor?ref=listing-shop-heade...

I'm in RI and the shipping for this was $40.69

Other items I put into my cart from your shop were what you would expect for shipping, $11-$14 range.
0 Likes

I wanted to add I also checked this item and it's coming up over $35 for me in NC, way too much.

What are you putting for the dimensions?
Seems you might have the box size or not the item folded up as you'd mail it.

This should be the item only, if you fold/roll it to mail you use that dimension. NO box size.

I'm sure this would fold up to fit in one of the larger Priority boxes that are not oversize.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Kathy, that's the item I meant. I checked on the USPS website using the farthest zip code from me(from me in UT to NY), and it said something like $20.50.

Pat, that particular blanket will not fit in a flat rate box. I tried when I first finished it. The dimensions I was using were for the shipping box it fits in, which is just slightly larger than flat rate. I thought the dimensions were for the shipping box, not the item.
0 Likes

Ashleigh, I'm not taking about using a Flat rate box but a regular Priority box, the 12x12x8. Surely that blanket would fit in it or a generic box that is not considered oversize.

Dimensions are the item ONLY + any packing around it, but NO box.
It's always been do NOT put the box size.
You put the box size when printing the shipping label.

If you flatten the blanket to get it in the box, use it instead of it not being flattened out.

If you put the box size then the calculator is only going to put the item in an ever bigger box.

For it to come up $35 it has to be figuring shipping on an oversize box.

Any box that measures more than 12x12x12 is oversize to zones 5-9.
A 13x12x12 is oversize, a 15x12x10 is oversize.

But a 14x12x10 is not since those 3 measurements are still 36".

Do you use Etsy's box sizes or do you list your box sizes under package preferences or use both?

I list boxes I want the calculator to use and disable Etsy's boxes.

If you don't have a box to fit an item in, then the calculator will either use that item size or if you have a box that is way bigger, it would put the item in it.

Also if you don't have boxes to fit multiples in then your buyer will be charged shipping on several boxes.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ashleigh - we use item dimensions, not box dimensions in the listing and the calculator then fits it into a box listed in our package preferences. I realize for a big item like this, it really doesn't matter, but for smaller items, by putting item dimension the calculator can fit multiple items into one box.

Do you print labels on Etsy or do you take your items to the PO and have them do the postage? Etsy prices are cheaper. If you use Etsy labels then going to the USPS website is only showing you retail rates.

What size is the box you are mailing this in? Even if it won't fit in a large flat rate, if you can keep the box size to no bigger than 12x12x12 the price for shipping will be better. It's important to be aware of the dimensional sizing of boxes so you don't go over the limit and incur balloon pricing.

Obviously, if I am getting a $40+ shipping price for that blanket then your dimensions have to be very big. So let us know what you are using.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Okay, I just dug the blanket out and measured it folded the way it would need to be to ship. It's 12.5x12.5x7. I must have fat thumbed something when I was entering the measurements. And it looks like I'll be doing some measuring. I had no idea it was item size, not box size.

Thanks so much for your help!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.