Former_Member
Not applicable

First Sales

Like a couple of others on our team, I am new to selling on Etsy. How long did it take for seasoned sellers to make their first sale? Love to hear from you!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
267 Replies

Re: First Sales

I'm new to selling on Etsy too, so I'd be interested to hear how long it took others to start getting regular sales (and how they did it - e.g adding more items, advertising, joining teams, etc.). I recently got my first sale, a month after listing my first items.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've had my shop open a month and no one has yet bought anything. I still keeps making and adding items though, I too would like to know how long it takes to roughly start making some sales :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi all,

I opened my shop on the 23rd of January this year. I've been listing my vintage goodies like crazy, and have now over 140 items listed with plenty more to go. I made my first (and so far only) sale on the 12th this month.
I looked at some other Australian sellers that sell vintage goods, and they seem to be doing ok. It does seem to be quiet at the moment though. I also have an eBay store, and that is the quietest its been for a year.
Still, we push on, and I'll be ready when the customers are ready to buy:o)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We only took a few weeks to get a sale in both our photography shop and our typography shop... but I had a store here years ago in the jewelry section and it took months to get noticed let alone get a sale ;)

It's really just a matter of focusing on getting your store cohesive, market your items to your target market, and making sure you've got a business plan in place so you know whether you're hitting all the marks you want to hit.

You'll see a lot of posts with different answers to the question "how to get sales", but the obvious points are:

* The more items you have in your store the more you'll show up in searches.
* Have good descriptive titles, tags and descriptions. Answer every single question you can think of so your customers don't have to wait for you to respond. If you need to put measurements in your description then make sure you do cm's and inches if you're selling internationally.
* Ship internationally ;) Most of our sales for both shops have headed overseas. If your items are larger, or breakable, look into a courier company instead of relying on AusPost.

We've sold off etsy as well at markets and via a few other art websites, so make sure you diversify when you're able to.

Lastly... have patience. You've gotta put a lot of work in to start with so don't give up in the first few months. As with any business, the first year is critical. If you don't put some effort in you're destined to fail.

Good luck to you all :D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for some wonderful insights! I am still to get my first sale but I'm heading to the Baby & Kids Bazaar on 16 March where I hope to sell a few items and get my brand out there! Keep us posted everyone!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yay! I did it -made my first sale today! Doing the happy dance :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Congrats Jay :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That's great Jay. I too made my first sale last week too, yay. For me, its been about developing a cohesive shop image and backend business brand, as well as developing connections through markets etc. I think cross promotion, links and marketing through other websites can also be beneficial. Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Congrats to you too Rhianon :D I just recognised your avvie being similar to your light shade I featured in a treasury a few days ago :D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So great! It's wonderful to be able to find things that are unique and not mass produced and Etsy is a great place to do this. I'm trying my wares at a market next weekend for the first time and so excited! Good luck lovelies!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just set up today so thanks for all the tips and hints!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am curios about sales too. Over a month with a lot of promotion on social media sites and no sales yet, BUT my hopes are still high and i hope it will be OK in future.

BTW, good luck to everyone :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Abid, I'd suggest either taking off or lightening your logo, most people who make treasuries don't use images with logo's as they take away focus from the item you're trying to sell.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for suggestion :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Looks great!
0 Likes

It took me two weeks to make my first sale.
And the first thing I sold was a crown and wand set similar to this one.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/121571406/felt-birthday-party-crown-and-wand-fairy?ref=shop_home_feat
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I opened my shop in the first week of march and i just made my first sale! few hours after i joined the team!

however, i think what helped to boost viewership was after i had created a coupon code, i posted it up on OZBargain. I had about 1000 visits to my shop over the last 4 weeks but gained 700 more just a few hours after posting my code up. Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Stephanie, that's an awesom idea - thanks"
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Stephanie. What's OZBargain?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Stephanie, I've just been reading a little about Ozbaragins and here is a link to their FAQ page which answers a few questions:

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/wiki/help:faq_merchants

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Katie, OZBargain is an online community where you can post up your store's discounts or coupon codes. As Marta has found, there are a few guidelines that have to be followed, otherwise it's absolutely free.

My shop stats also showed that I was receiving feeds from a website called http://www.topbargains.com.au/
I think someone must have found my coupon code and posted it up there. Seems like a great place too to promote your discounts.
0 Likes

Yay, I've just made my first sale. It's taken 6 months, but hopefully this is the start. Due to circumstance beyond my control the last 6 months were rather traumatic and my attention to my Etsy store has been sporadic until recently. This is hopefully the start of things to come!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yay for you, Karen!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.