Spliting my shop

I have been selling on Etsy for 3 years and growing my shop.  I sell equestrian number holders and brooches.  My shop has grown to a point where I would like to separate my product and start another shop just for the brooches.  Does anyone know if I can copy the listings and use them to start a new shop?  

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
17 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Spliting my shop

Yes

0 Likes

No. You can make a new Listing which is exactly the same and place it in a new Shop BUT you cannot "copy", as in "import" a Listing from one Shop to another.

3 Likes

No. You can make a new Listing which is exactly the same and place it in a new Shop BUT you cannot "copy", as in "import" a Listing from one Shop to another.

0 Likes

Yes you can, but you will pay a new listing fee, plus maybe the new shop fee.   Something to think about.

0 Likes

Yes, thank you.  I was planning on the fees.  I was just inquiring if this could be done and how difficult this is to do.  I would hate to have to re-create all the listings!

0 Likes

Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to split the shop.  You are still selling the same class of product (jewelry), and have built a following as well as a good search algorithm track record.  Why mess that up to gain extra work for yourself managing two shops?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say.....

9 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

was thinking the same thing.  big loss of momentum too.

1 Like

Ditto.

Plus maintaining/marketing two separate shops is a royal pain especially since Etsy doesn't make it easy - there isn't any dual login, sharing email addresses or anything.   It all needs to be different.  Save yourself the headache, especially at tax time.

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

On the other hand, you might avoid Etsy's nasty Off-Site ad fees.

1 Like
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

You can't copy to a different shop.  Copy/paste the description.  Everything else will be from scratch.

3 Likes

Are you planning just to move the brooches and leave the other jewelry in this shop?  Etsy might consider that have similar items in two shops.

I would suggest leaving the jewelry in one and move the magnetic number holders.  It would be easier for one and both shops would have separate identities. 

1 Like

Yes, thank you - that is what I was thinking.  I seem to have 2 types of clients now.  Equestrians looking for number magnets (show magnets) and another following for my magnetic brooches.

0 Likes

I have looked at your Shop and Listings. At irst, I thought the "number holders" would be those large clear poly "envelopes" with elastic to hold large competition numbers. In that case, I would have suggested a sevond Shop. But, looking at your product, I now see these are, basically, all magnetic brooches, some of which are equestrial themed and some of which are specific to equestrian use. Then you have other themes / styles.

IMO, your Shop has consistent content, so I would not open a second Shop.

Perhaps, you could make better use of Shop Sections to achieve a clear distinction between the brooches for Equestrian use and the brooches for other use?

You have 389 Listings, but only have 58 Magnetic Number Holders. So, a new shop would be quite "empty". Perhaps, you can call this section Equestrian Number Holders so Google can identify these are for horse related enquiries?

Additionally, a new Shop with new Listings would have no Sales and Review history. The Sales and Review history is a key factor in quality score for a Shop. Your "Equestrian Magnetis Number Holder" Listings will benefit from the traffic drawn to your Shop from other Listings as well. It takes quite some time for a new Shop with brand new Listings to gain rank in Search, even if the Listings are identical.

So, a reorganization of your current Shop so it is easier to identify the "Equestrian" use Listings may be the place to start? Remember, most Buyers come to a Listing from Search. Many do not even look at a whole Shop. Time spent on better Listing SEO may also be something which would benefit you more than a second Shop?

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies.  The other issue I am having is AI removing my magnetic brooches due to policy violation.  My items are compliant because the magnets are not loose.  I have fought about this with Etsy but, with like many other sellers, Etsy just doesn't seem to care.  I was emailed a nasty threatening email stating if I had one more then I would be suspended.  Thanks to the Bots.  What happens if they suspend my shop?  I am very worried.  I have worked hard and have very happy customers and repeat buyers. 

0 Likes
timelapse
Conversation Maker

@ExquisiteEquestriaCo - Keep in mind as well that new shops are prime targets for scammers. Would you really want to have to keep being distracted by that in your messages...they are quite prolific around here, sadly.

1 Like

Update - so the Bots removed some magnetic brooches claiming they violate handmade policy.  I convert pin brooches to magnetic - this is much harder that it sounds.  I grind metal, level, paint and smooth then adhere a magnet and make a magnetic backing.  This is 100% hand crafted - you cannot buy these commercially.  I am afraid I may need to deactivate my account and try to sell independently.  Customer service does not care and will not listen to my explanation.  Sellers are just insignificant. 

0 Likes

@ExquisiteEquestriaCo It looks like you have 2 issues with Etsy and your product.

The "magnets" are one issue which, probably, you can resolve with perservence.

But converting a commercially produced product by adhering / gluing a magnet onto it may not be enough of a "handmade" alteration to prevent the "bots" finding the same product on many other sites and determining you are just reselling? You could probably argue the "charm on a chain" defence, but, with the AI Bots crawling images these days, I suspect this may be a battle you may not win.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.