Camias
Crafty Poster

Rolling Mill question

I have one for average wire making but I'm thinking about melting my scraps into ingots and rolling sheet sterling vs paying so much via stuller or rio grande. So, my question is.....what is a quality mill which can roll decent sheets without getting bends and curls (as my roller does that to small flat squares I try to roll. Is there a version which could roll a nice sized sheet or use exchangeable rollers?
Is there anything which can pull wire into round too, besides a drawing plate?
Thank you!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
23 Replies
2TrickPony
Conversation Maker

Re: Rolling Mill question

durston is one quality mill, there are others.
0 Likes
Camias
Crafty Poster

It's been 15 years since I invested in the rolling mill I have....I just need input on the latest and most reliable to roll sheet metal, namely sterling silver.
0 Likes
2TrickPony
Conversation Maker

I have a durston, and I do use it a bunch. they have a good reputation, but yeah, its a big investment and you'll want to research others, find the best one for you.
On the other question, you need your rollers to be exactly the same, totally parallel to avoid distortion, and you want to anneal frequently and not try to move too much metal each time. (on the warping)
the bigger the rollers in diameter the better.

as far as a rolling mill that makes round wire I have never seen one.
0 Likes
2TrickPony
Conversation Maker

also, a mill with a reduction gear will save you some sweat.
0 Likes
Camias
Crafty Poster

Thank you for your help!
0 Likes

The Cavellins with a 7:1 ratio are the Cadillacs of rolling mills, and just dreamy to use. They used to make round wire rollers, and they were available through Progress Tool, which I think Contenti has bought. You might check with Contenti. You are going to be paying a *lot* for those rollers though!

Kathy
0 Likes

Use a feeler gauge to set your rollers.
0 Likes
Camias
Crafty Poster

Thank you JazznJewelry - how I know those high prices! It may be worth it since I have about 10 lbs of scrap I can convert to viable wire and sheet.
0 Likes

The mill may not be the problem - bends and curls are caused by the operator, not the mill. You need to hold your metal perfectly straight going into the rollers, thru the rollers and out the rollers - if the metal goes in crooked it comes out with a bend.

As far as curling, that is caused by stopping while rolling the metal. Only crank the rollers down 1/4 turn so you call easily run the metal thru the rollers without stopping - it may seems like it takes forever only turning the crank a bit each time, but in the long run it saves time.

for wire - pour your ingot, square in up in the wire rollers, continue to run thru the square rollers (turning a quarter turn with each pass), until the ingot is about 2 sizes larger than the desired finished wire gauge. Using a drawplate, pull wire until desired gauge is met.
0 Likes

Kathy, where can I find a feeler gauge? I have a Contenti mill and would love to have a way to repeat my roller settings. Is that what the feeler gauge is for?
0 Likes
Camias
Crafty Poster

Has any one used pattern rollers in their mill?
0 Likes

I have not. Taking the mill apart scares me, I admit. I am using textured brass to transfer textures to the silve.r
0 Likes
Camias
Crafty Poster

May I ask how you do this? I wonder if I can attach some pattern pieces to the rollers to achieve a pattern...or I may just resort to the cheaply made one in india and see how it goes.
0 Likes

It is pretty easy. Just take a piece of annealed silver sheet, put the brass sheet on top and roll them both thru the mill. You have to experiment with the amount of pressure. I make it pretty tight, just so I can turn the rolling mill handle. The tighter, the deeper the impression.
0 Likes

You even get a good impression with paper. Use some manila folder or other thick paper, cut a design in it with a punch or a exacto knife and roll that thru.

This site has pretty good instructions http://www.makersgallery.com/goss/rollprint.html
0 Likes

2Silver, you can get a feeler gauge at an auto parts store. They'll know exactly what you're talking about. You can use them to make sure your rollers are perfectly parallel all the way across. When you need adjustment, that's what the little gears on top are for.

Actually, if you do a lot of form folding, you can adjust one side or the other to achieve a deliberate curve, or to squish the folded side the same as the unfolded side.

If you use pattern rollers, the kind you have to change out, you absolutely will need a feeler gauge. Yes, I have used my pattern rollers. 46th Street Jewelry Supply in NY has a large assortment of pattern rollers for the Karat mill.

Metalliferous out of NY has a good selection of brass plates, and if you go together with several other people, you can get a good price break. You can also etch your own plates.

If you want more information, you can go to the Durston site and download the user's guide. It has much of the information in the Goss' site, but is more professionally done for a print version.

http://www.durston.co.uk/lan-en/online-guide-p1-en.htm

There are just so many ways to use a mill that it will soon be the most important tool in your studio, other than the torch. I collect material from all over to use in my mill--fabric, papers, netting, cheesecloth, wire, screen, leaves, die cut patterns--just to name a few.
0 Likes

I engrave steel plates to use in the mill. Steel last longer then brass.
0 Likes

Smb, absolutely stupendous enamel jewelry! Wow!

Out of curiosity, what gravers do you use for steel, and how often do you have to sharpen them?
0 Likes

I'm partial to the glensteel gravers from GRS. As to sharpening them sometimes once a day maybe twice, sometimes it will just keep going and last me for weeks. Kind of like saw blades.
0 Likes

Oh and Jazz thanks for the compliment. Enamel are my passion.
0 Likes
Camias
Crafty Poster

Oh dreaded saw blades. I can either go through a dozen within hours or a month.
One last question pertaining to pattern rollers. I appreciate all the tips and tricks...but I'm interested in a roller that can imprint on wire. All I can find are the cheap rolling mills with interchangeable pattern wire rollers unless someone knows an amazing trick of the trade!
0 Likes

Thanks, Jazz :-).

Camias, I just found some wire pattern rollers at Otto Frei. I have no idea how difficult it is to produce patterned wire with those though.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=2942
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've been using patterned plates with my mill.

Quite frankly even a wrinkled up piece of paper will leave lovely impressions in the metal.

You are only limited by your mind! many thinks/paper, leaves will give texture, and images!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.