How to determine identify stone in jewelry?

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to identify unknown gemstones in jewelry? Not loose, but set in jewelry. Is there a recommended process or machine? I know about refractometers and also the electronic testers that will give you a range that the stone could possibly be, but has anyone ever used any of these? I'm willing to invest in one if I know they will work. Sometimes the stones are set so flush it might be difficult to use a refractometer as I think they require a large area of the stone to be against a piece of glass.

I have started collecting antique fine jewelry and many times even the owner doesn't know or can't "guarantee" what a certain colored gemstone is or if a stone is real. For example, I just purchased a ring from Europe and it is indeed real gold, but he didn't know if the stone was amethyst, tanzanite, spinel, quartz, etc.? I purchased it anyway because I loved the ring.

I have taken the pieces to several jewelers but they say they have nothing that will test them either. They can test the diamonds but not the colored stones. One jeweler identified one stone in the ring as genuine natural sapphire (as opposed to lab created) simply by the color, but said I would have to come back in 2 weeks when there will be an appraiser there for this very purpose to be certain. The cost for the appraisal is quite pricey and more than I paid for a couple of the pieces.

Any suggestions? Anyone ever use a refractometer? What about other stone testers?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.