Chatting In June

The first summer month. Carry on...
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
445 Replies
SilverBlueberry
Conversation Maker

Re: Chatting In June

June already? Wow.

The dry weather continues here. A few evenings ago we smelled smoke and apparently it was a small fire close to our lake. They could put it out with lake water and flip flops but it could have been really bad.
0 Likes

Good morning.
Fires are a constant problem for our area in the summer.
Thanks for the new thread, CG.
0 Likes

Good morning.
Fires are a constant problem for our area in the summer.
Thanks for the new thread, CG.
0 Likes
PPennee
Crafty Poster

Morning! Happy June
0 Likes

Happy June, y'all, and good morning!
0 Likes

Good morning.
0 Likes

Happy June everyone.
:)
0 Likes

It's June and there's rain . :)
0 Likes

I logged into my Lose It app on Monday and put in my weight - 140.2

I checked my weight this morning - 136.6

All I needed to do was tweak my diet. I knew this - but DANG y'all.
0 Likes
PPennee
Crafty Poster

Congrats Erin but I wouldn't get too excited just yet, mostly it's fluid if it's that fast. Normal is 1 lb a week unless you do something drastic. What I always have found is the less you have to loose the harder it is to lose it- that last 5 lbs seems to take forever compared to the first 5 if you are more than 10% over weight. I have been on a diet my whole life it seems. Some call it life style changes- I call it punishment when I can't at pizza whenever I want! :)
0 Likes

Good Morning! Happy June! Hot and humid here!

Agree, Pennee! One of the biggest things I miss is pizza and bread! I'm trying hard to stick to a high protein/low carb lifestyle change.

I no longer weigh myself because I really don't have that much to lose...and I'm pretty muscular. I would like to drop about 10 lbs...and it seems like it's taking forever, even with changing my diet and really increasing my cardio. I know I'm toning up...but the numbers on the scale just don't reflect that.

0 Likes

Oh, I know, Pennee. It just made me happy to see it coming off instead of going on. LOL

I managed to get myself stung by a yellow jacket while doing yard work. The Benadryl Loopies are kicking in. Whhhhheeeeeeeee.
0 Likes
PPennee
Crafty Poster

Oh dag, I get those Benadryl loopies too- but it bats the pain of a bee sting!

Chrissy I have talked to way too many Drs and nutritionists over the years- low carb, Paleo, DASH whatever- the only thing that really works is just eat less of everything - not giving up carbs or fats or anything else. Allergy to something is one thing but you need carbs, just good ones. Bread and potatoes aren't the enemy- it's just how much imho. Even diabetics can have limited amounts. If low carb works for you that's great- I just don't find many people that stick with anything for life that limits things they love. Personally I would be miserable 24/7 if I had to give up carbs. I'd rather give up meat. :) What I nd to cut way back on is fat- the hidden fat in some stuff is way higher than I ever thought - now that I am paying attention, it's depressing
0 Likes

I only lose weight by limiting my 'white' carbs. We do need some fat - look at the french - for the most part they are not an overweight people and they eat plenty of fat and carbs. Wish I was french.

Thanks for the new thread. I guess I better go pay my Etsy bill.
0 Likes
PPennee
Crafty Poster

The French walk or ride bikes everywhere. I was astounded in Paris, in 3 lanes of traffic each way, men and women right in the middle riding bikes to work. They'd be killed in the US!

Lol Terri, I wish I was French too so I could eat croissants and baguettes every day!
Limiting my white carbs is no different to my body than limiting my burger size from the ridiculous 8 oz to eating 1/2 of that burger thats sold everywhere now. I always wonder who started that trend for 8 oz burgers? Who needs 1/2 lb of meat unless you're a logger or dock worker?
0 Likes

Oh, I agree, Pennee. However, I'm pre-diabetic with a strong family history of diabetes. I find that I feel better overall if I avoid most refined carbs. I don't eliminate everything carb...mostly high amounts of sugar, white breads and potatoes. High sugar instantly gives me a headache. It was easy for me to give it up. I miss bread and pizza the most...but I also know how I feel later when I eat those things, and the repercussions are just not worth it. I strive to eat fresh vegetables with a little bit of meat.

I felt the absolute best when we were in Amsterdam. The food was so good and we walked nearly everywhere. I never had one issue with anything that I ate, where here, I constantly run into food sensitivities with preservatives when we dine out.
0 Likes

Ouch Erin! I was bitten by a blister beetle over the weekend. That sucker hurt! Hate those little suckers with a passion!

0 Likes
SilverBlueberry
Conversation Maker

There are vegan athletes and they get all the nutrition they need. No one needs that much meat and certainly not every day. The ‘standard’ meat every day (not so standard a few decades ago) is a good recipe for developing colon cancer later on but even that doesn’t scare people.
0 Likes
SilverBlueberry
Conversation Maker

I don’t think we have those Chrissi. Sounds unpleasant.
0 Likes

That is true, Esme...no one needs to eat a 1/2lb cheeseburger. The portion sizes here are ridiculous.

DH and I will usually buy a small steak, chicken or fish for dinner and split it, then load up on veggies for dinner. I try to fix at least one vegan meal a week for dinner and eat vegan for lunch.

Blister beetles are nasty little creatures. You have to be very careful not to smoosh them and get the juice on you...they secrete a very powerful chemical called cantharidin. It causes a small blister on contact. They are powerful enough to kill a horse if ingested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blister_beetle

0 Likes
PPennee
Crafty Poster

I'm not sure meat wasn't always a mainstay Esme. I look at guys Dh's age and most of them will tell you they are meat and potatoes guys. So 70 years and plus it must have been a thing, at least in the US to have meat at main meals. I can't remember many times we didn't have meat, except Friday Was always fish!
Chrissy I am also pre- diabetic as of this year. I have tried doing vegetarian dinner once a week, I end up throwing out most of it because dh will eat it once and done. Any leftovers, forget it. Vegan isn't any fun, I love fish and cheese too! Dh eats loads of fruit which I don't. My fruit is wine and that's a big issue with pre- diabetes. Waiting for the day the Dr says no more!
0 Likes
SilverBlueberry
Conversation Maker

Yeah, in that situation it’s hard to vary. It’s no fun if DH won’t eat the food.

A lot of Asian food is naturally vegan and yummy. And most people wouldn’t even notice if you’d exchange minced meat for a soy variety in a lasagna. ;)
0 Likes

I know that feelings, Pennee. DH is a staunch meat eater...and really, I am too. I feel better when I have a larger amount of protein...but I try to balance during the day when I'm at work. I can sneak in a vegetarian meal here and there for balance. We usually don't have leftovers. DH eats like a horse! He also works out like a horse too.

I can't do wine because of migraines, so that helps. I do like a nice fruity cocktail here and there. :-)

We love Asian! Always a good choice for us.
0 Likes
PPennee
Crafty Poster

Asian and Indian are my go to meals for vegetarian or limited meat. I am just not crazy about the texture of any soy products. I have tried. I can do ma po tofu now and then but it's not a fav. Too much info out there on estrogen receptor positive breast cancer and soy anyhow, it makes me nervous. Huge no no to do any soy if you've been diagnosed and at my age, lumps are a strong possibility.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.