THOUGHTS ON FAVATHON (Tuesday, 6/18)

Hi all! There have been member concerns about the Favathon game actually hurting our shops. This is what I learned from one member, which lines up with comments I've seen in the larger Etsy forum:

"There is this thing called "bounce time", which means that if someone comes to your shop (in this case, visits one of your listings) and likes something (or just views it) and then goes away fast, and then there is no sale, then the algorithm will think your shop/items are not good enough and will move you down in the search results."

Thank you for bringing this up, we'd love to hear more thoughts below.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
142 Replies

Re: THOUGHTS ON FAVATHON (Tuesday, 6/18)

If you'd still like to participate in the Favathon game, here are the rules. Thank you!!

★ POST 1 ITEM ONLY!

★ FAVORITE (and RE-HEART) ALL ITEMS BEFORE & AFTER YOU. Return the next day if necessary (*NOTICE "Likes" are different than "Favorites."  You must open each link to "Favorite" the item.  At this point, "Likes" don't appear to have any value, use or function.)

★ POSTING MORE THAN 1 ITEM will get your post deleted without warning.

★ GAME IS CREATED PREVIOUS DAY AROUND 4PM (16:00) EASTERN UNITED STATES TIME ZONE.  GAME IS REMOVED FOLLOWING DAY AROUND 4PM (16:00) EASTERN UNITED STATES TIME ZONE 

★ DO NOT POST BLACKLISTS or other negative messages about other teammates. If you want to make an accusation of cheating, please use the "report" button and include any relevant evidence. Etsy Stats are INACCURATE and can take up to 24 hours to capture activity. It is highly recommended that you contact Etsy directly to address these issues too at: www.etsy.com/help/contact

Removal of posts/violation/and/or other remedies may be used for breaking rules

3 Likes

11 Likes

11 Likes

11 Likes

11 Likes

11 Likes

10 Likes

11 Likes

10 Likes

10 Likes

11 Likes

11 Likes

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1734383378/Thanks PhelpsFamilyCraftsI did some research; I read that a high bounce rate percentage will have a negative impact on stores, and I learned that traffic to the store is only useful when people search for your product. Here, I'd like to know if we're doing it wrong.I integrated Google Analytics into my store, I check it occasionally. It shows details such as the number of users, interaction time

7 Likes

@ArtisanAccentsHome I'm so curious, too, and I really wish Etsy was more transparent in how the algorithm works. Interesting about Google Analytics. Have you personally noticed an increase or decrease in organic traffic, sales, etc. since you've been playing the games? I'm not sure how long you've been participating. Thanks so much for adding to this conversation!

2 Likes

Thank you guys, yes, this means that playing this game is counterproductive - not only is it a waste of time but it actually hurts your shop. Do you think there's anyhting to counteract this? Maybe looking around? Or a search game instead of favathon? (post your shop name _not_ as a link just as text and people have to put it into the search bar?) Something else?

4 Likes

@HunkiiDorii I can ask for alternative or additional suggestions in the next round of games. Thank you for the ideas!!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this information. I was aware of the impact of "bounce time" on our shop rankings. It's definitely something to consider when participating in games like Favathon. However, my views and sales have increased since I started playing. I'd love to hear if others have experienced any changes in their shop performance due to this. Let's discuss how we can support each other without negatively affecting our shop visibility.

4 Likes
Seklo
Community Curator

11 Likes

10 Likes
DebbieCrochets
Conversation Maker

9 Likes

9 Likes

9 Likes

Betreff: THOUGHTS ON FAVATHON (Tuesday, 6/18)

9 Likes
KypmdShop
Inspiration Seeker

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1534740563

Dear Everybody,
Of course, I don't see how the algorithm works, but I think it takes into account not only how long I looked at the product, but also (and maybe with more emphasis) that I mark the product as a "favorite". This can be confirmed by the fact that since I have been participating in the game, the number of visitors to my shop has increased, both Etsy and Google index my new products in a shorter time, and since then Etsy regularly offers them by e-mail to the visited and "favorite" marked products. I think the point is that when I look at a product page, I mark it as a favorite. If it has already been on the favorite, I click on the heart (this deletes the favorite) and then I click on the heart again, which reactivates the favorite. This is important, I think!
That might be a possibility, right?

11 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.