cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP IMPROVE THE ART TEAM

Jump to solution
If you have any suggestions for improving the ART Team, please submit them here. We're always looking for ways to boost sales for all of our shops. THANKS AGAIN!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HELP IMPROVE THE ART TEAM

Jump to solution
JOIN THE FACEBOOK ART TEAM PUBLIC PAGE AT: www.facebook.com/groups/271594646600172

and PINTEREST BOARDS TOO AT:
https://www.pinterest.com/vindadamona/art-team-etsy-group-board/
and/or
https://www.pinterest.com/mikekraus/great-creations/

Allegedly, Etsy gives "more weight to real, organic placed Faves from a searching buyer, as opposed to click click click faves from fellow team members/sellers." This is to prevent skewing relevancy rating that could come from hundreds of favorites/hearts. Even if most of us sellers are also buyers.

So, what can we do to help each other boost sales if viewing, faving, and other games don't help anymore? JOIN THE FACEBOOK/PINTEREST ART TEAM PAGES and post, sell, like, and share!!!

THANKS!!!

View solution in original post

2 Likes
70 Replies

Jump to solution
JOIN THE FACEBOOK ART TEAM PUBLIC PAGE AT: www.facebook.com/groups/271594646600172

Allegedly, Etsy gives "more weight to real, organic placed Faves from a searching buyer, as opposed to click click click faves from fellow team members/sellers." This is to prevent skewing relevancy rating that could come from hundreds of favourites. Even if most of us sellers are also buyers.

So, what can we do to help each other boost sales if viewing, faving, and other games don't help anymore? JOIN THE FACEBOOK ART TEAM PUBLIC PAGE and post, sell, like, and share!!!

THANKS!!!

PS-Thanks for all the emails for your invitations to the Pinterest Board. I promise I will add them. So many people have responded that Pinterest has limited the amount of people I can invite. I'll take care of this ASAP! THANKS!
1 Like
MelanieartGB
Community Curator

Jump to solution

Hi Mike

I have just created a Facebook page however I cant seem to find the art group, please can you help me?

1 Like

Jump to solution
According to Etsy in "How Etsy Search Works" it says:

"If a buyer clicks, favorites, or purchases an item after they’ve seen it in search results, that action contributes to the listing’s quality score".

I tested that and having my items Faved moved the items up.
This does work.

2 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks Tillie. I'll look into that and try to figure a way that can help us out as a team. :)
1 Like

Jump to solution
You have over 300 pages of threads on here.

Can you delete the old daily threads - Favathons, Viewathons, etc? like from last month and older?

That would clean up the pages much better.
1 Like

Jump to solution
I'll look into this suggestion Tillie. When I took over this team many years ago, we decided to keep the old threads because so many people would return to them later. Obviously, a lot has changed since then. So, I'll talk with a few leaders and captains and see what their thoughts are on this. If it's better to keep or remove them. THANKS AGAIN!
1 Like

Jump to solution
If you want to improve the team get rid of the cheaters. There are people who come on and cheat every single day. We can tell you who they are.
1 Like

Jump to solution
FatCatStamps,

Thanks for your message. We take cheating very seriously. Here are our policies and issues we're trying to resolve.

1) We review every report of cheating. Etsy does not provide any tools or other features to help with this problem. So, it can be difficult based on the game. If evidence of cheating is found, the member will be contacted.
2) Evidence of cheating is required for us to take action because we have received many "fake reports" against shop competitors for the purpose of having them removed from team.
3) If three contacts have been made within a month with no correction in behavior, the member is removed.

With that being said, there are so special circumstances. I have removed several dozen shops from the team only to have them reappear the next day. These shops are duplicates and keep replicating more of their shops. I have filed a complaint with Etsy and we're trying to resolve the issue. Once fixed, this would fix the vast majority of cheating reports we receive.

THANKS AGAIN!
1 Like

Jump to solution
Dear MikeKraus,
can you please add me at Pinterest?
https://ru.pinterest.com/8888familie/
Thank you!
0 Likes
FeltWithAHeart
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I think too many threads are in the highlighted section, with no real rhyme or reason as to which are there.
If you really want our suggestions and opinions, I think this thread should be on page one, and stay there for all to see, for open communication on the team. Right now its on page 4 and I'm sure most don't know it exists this way.
Last time I wrote on a similar thread, it was deleted without a reply, and this one was started in its place. If that can happen, I don't know why so many of the old threads can't be deleted. Over 300 pages? Why do some teams only have 2 or 3, and they are all current, active threads? Many (many many many) old threads will never be looked at again, once the new ones replace them. Its just clutter.
How can teams reappear the next day after you remove them if you approve members to join? We don't need etsy to provide tools to single out cheaters. Its very easy to spot them. They post and run and don't have any favorites listed, or they constantly post too many items, etc etc etc. We all know of several and can provide proof just by watching a thread for a short while.
Sorry, but there are just so many questions that don't seem to be getting enough attention. It makes many of us want to just give up on this team.

1 Like

Jump to solution
Lois,

Thanks for your suggestions. We will review them.

1) We do have "too many" threads pinned to the top right now. Generally, we only like to have 1 page of pinned threads at most. Unfortunately, Etsy keeps changing everything. So, we have to change with them. That means we try to have more games and activities to boost shop's traffic and sales. At this time, we are evaluating the threads to see which should stay and which should go.

2) With 30,000+ members, having a lot of threads is common as we allow everyone to start a new thread if they'd like. As Etsy Team's are designed as an old fashion chat forum, this isn't unusual to see in places like AOL, Reddit, Craigslist, etc. There has been some discussion about removing old threads. If we decide to do so, that task could take a while as there are over 6,000 threads potentially needing to be manually removed.

3) Some teams only have 2-3 threads because Captains strictly prohibit making new threads. Generally, we encourage more participation to generate more traffic and more sales.

4) How shops reappear after removal is a mystery to me personally. I have removed dozens of the same shop only to see them again. These duplicate shops have been reported to Etsy and hoping to have the issue resolved soon.

5) Some cheaters are easy to spot. If they post 5 items when only 1 is allowed, that's easy to see. What isn't easy to see are hearts, views, and other activity. It can take Etsy stats up to 24 hours to record that activity. And, when compared to Google Analytics, on 20% of those activities may appear. For example, Etsy Stats said I had 724 views yesterday, but Google Analytics says I had 2,896 views yesterday. So, Etsy Stats is very, very inaccurate.

Also, because of privacy issues, I'm unable to see your stats, views, hearts, and many other activities in real time.

I review every cheating complaint. If there is evidence of cheating, I will contact the violator and give them a warning. After three warnings within a specific time span, the violator is removed. This can take a lot of time as I can receive over 100 complaints a day (many false complaints in an attempt to have competing shops removed).

So, as I see it, good managing tools would help me greatly at identifying violations, tracking bad behavior, and quickly acting on problems.

6) While this doesn't answer any of your questions, it is a concern that impacts all teams. For the last year, there's been a rumor that Etsy is planning to get rid of teams all together. Some evidence of this has be the lack of updates (Almost every other part of the site has been upgraded), almost no Etsy staff support, and "punishing" shops that participate in some Team activities. Every team is experiencing the same problems as the ART Team. But, small teams are experiencing smaller issues because they have far less activity. Large teams, like ours at 30,000+ members, have larger problems because we have far more activity. If you remember Etsy Treasuries, a similar this happened when they removed those about 1 1/2 years ago.

If you like Etsy Teams and would like to see them fixed and improved, I suggest contacting them with these issues at: www.etsy.com/help/contact
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi, Mark and team mates,
I think that according to the new conditions for indexing our articles on Etsy, it will be a very good tactic for promoting our shopes, if we have many incognito visits and views from google, bing, yandex and yahoo.
  This gives many visites from outside and high indexing. I take part in such treads in other teams and this have very sensitive effect on the performance of my products on the first pages of the searching.
I'm talking about treads like 24/12/48 incognito visits from google, bing, yandex or yahoo. It's work great!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
And 24/12/48 incognito searching the etsy shop from google, bing, yandex or yahoo too.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I agree with everything already suggested and appreciate how difficult it is to monitor the cheaters - can individuals be blocked from the team rather than shops? Maybe that would prevent them from just changing the name of their shops or opening new ones?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
threepeats Jewelry NYC,

Currently, it's the member that is blocked from the team. So, all they need is an new email address to replicate their shop. Somehow, they are able to transfer all the items into shops under a different email or something. There's nothing to prevent you from opening 100 shops on Etsy. So, some people are exploiting that ease of entry.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Please get rid of the cheaters. I have complained to you multiple times about specific cheaters and have been cheated every single day by the same people. Why are they still part of the team?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
FatCatStamps,

Thanks for your message and helping keep the team honest.

Issue #1
Many of the "cheaters" are duplicate shops that we're working with Etsy to resolve. Dozens and dozens have been removed only to come back. Probably using a different email to regenerate their shop. Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.

Issue #2
Members will be contacted about "confirmed" cheating. After 3 contacts within a certain amount of time without resolution, they are removed from the team. Unproven "complaints" does not apply to "proven cheating."

Why is this difficult? Because Etsy provides no management tools. And I receive over 100 complaints per day. Many are purposefully false complaints to have a shop's competitors removed. Many are because Etsy Stats are wildly inaccurate (Up to 80% of views, faves, and other activities are not recorded compared to Google Analytics). For example, in the last 4 weeks, I've received 18 complaints about FatCatStamps. Fortunately, they have been "unproven complaints" and we haven't removed you from the team for false accusations.

THANKS AGAIN! To help solve these issues, I hope you'll contact Etsy and request they upgrade teams and provide leaders/and captains management tools at: www.etsy.com/help/contact
0 Likes
CMHandymade
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
FatCatStamps, I don't disagree with you that cheaters on this platform are many. I do feel that team management cannot entirely eradicate this with the numerous replications.

I think that Etsy can create an algorithm to address this issue to make it easy for teams to identify suspicious members, cheaters and also spammers because there are so many of these characters daily.

We sellers put in a lot of "sweat" equity, so much time and energy every single day to make a sale and make our business profitable, the bottomline. So to have shady characters who undermine our efforts in any way is just unfair.

There must be more that Etsy can do to facilitate "good" sellers by eradicating "bad so-sellers" from the community. Etsy should seriously look into this matter. I know Etsy states that team issues are the concerns of the Captain/leaders but I think they should provide more help for a widespread problem as I feel this weighs down on the reputation/credibility of Etsy's community section, it's rating as a top e-commerce marketplace platform and when compared to other competitors as a good place for sellers to use and promote their shops.

So FCS, I suggest you contact Etsy with your concern because I do feel that a widespread issue is best addresses by Etsy.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Etsy is in the process of giving Etsy Teams an upgrade. While no details have been provided, I'll post updates on anything that may become available. THANKS!
0 Likes

Jump to solution

and PINTEREST BOARDS TOO AT:
https://www.pinterest.com/vindadamona/art-team-etsy-group-board/
and/or
https://www.pinterest.com/mikekraus/great-creations/

Allegedly, Etsy gives "more weight to real, organic placed Faves from a searching buyer, as opposed to click click click faves from fellow team members/sellers." This is to prevent skewing relevancy rating that could come from hundreds of favorites/hearts. Even if most of us sellers are also buyers.

So, what can we do to help each other boost sales if viewing, faving, and other games don't help anymore? JOIN THE FACEBOOK/PINTEREST ART TEAM PAGES and post, sell, like, and share!!!

THANKS!!!
2 Likes
PetrinaBlakely
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I would really love to participate here but I avoid most of your threads because they are not relevant - research has shown that team views are a detriment to our shops. Leaving social media links to promote and follow are the best way to go or incognito threads to improve our shops being found in search.

I am personally also frustrated by the number of pinned threads you have which take so long to weed through and the multiple threads for IG which is one of my favorite modalities. I used to participate in those originally but there were too many again to sort through and members here aren't leaving at least 4 word comments (without emojis) which also makes a difference.

Hope this input is of use to you. If you make changes I will come back and play. Feel free to check out threads on my team which is Integrity team on etsy and model your threads after them if you want to.

Thanks for listening
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Lois,

Thanks for you message:

1) smaller highlighted section - I agree with you that this needs to be reduced. We almost accomplished our goal than then Etsy changed everything. We use to only have faving games highlighted, but Etsy then pushed "views." Then views were downgraded and now social media is what they prefer. We've been removing threads from the highlighted area and their usefulness and popularity declines.

2) There are 300 pages containing over 7000 threads. The reason for this is anyone can start their own thread. And, with 33,000+ members, that happens frequently. Etsy doesn't provide any mass deletion or other management tools. So, for me to remove old threads it would take approximately 15 straight days of work without break. Etsy has announced plans to upgrade Etsy Teams. One of the announcements made said that threads inactive for over 1 year would be deleted. The upgrade has no implementation date as it was delayed indefinitely.

3) We are an open team and no approval is necessary to join the ART Team.

4) Deleted shops are able to rejoin the team through duplication. They use multiple emails and are able to replicate their shops over and over and over. Etsy has been tracking them and deleting them as they've been discovered.

5) Cheaters - I receive over 100 complaints per day about cheating. And I review and act on them as quickly and effectively as I can. Unfortunately, I'm only one person and being Captain is a voluntary position.

Some cheaters are very easy to see. I will delete their posts and send them a warning message. After a few violations within a short time frame, they are removed from the team.

Other cheaters are more difficult to catch. For instance, viewings are a particular problem. You can see if they viewed. They know if they viewed. But, I don't have access to either of your shops to confirmed if a shop did or didn't view.

Etsy Stats are slow and inaccurate. For example, Etsy Stats said I had 134 visits yesterday. But, Google Analytics reports 670 views. For some reason, Etsy Stats doesn't capture all activity on our shops. So, some reports of cheating are just bad information from Etsy Stats. Also, Etsy Stats is not in real-time. It can take up to 24 hours for actions to appear (if they ever do at all).

False reports are a major problem. Groups of shops will purposely work together to have their competitors removed. For example, your shop was actually a target of this issue. A group of fiber shops from the Ukraine reported your shop 23 times for cheating in a 3 day time frame. I reviewed your activity (as much as I could) and was unable to verify their claims. So, I took no action.

6) Management Tools - I believe that Etsy needs to provide some form of management tools to Captains and team leaders. For a few reasons:

-To quickly and easily oversee 33,000+ members activity over 7,000+ threads.
-To provide rights and restrictions to leaders for the delegation of responsibilities
-To accurately spot cheaters and remove violations

Etsy Teams was not designed with games in mind. It's a 1990s style forum that has not been updated for its current use.

THANKS AGAIN! I hope this answers some of your questions. These are problems I've been discussing with other Captains, Leaders, and Etsy directly. Hopefully, many of these issues will be resolved with the next Etsy Team upgrade.
1 Like

Jump to solution
ETSY TEAM/FORUM UPDATES COMING SOON! Learn more about the changes at: https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/improvements-coming-to-etsys-community/382278462891

Send all questions, comments, and requests to:
www.etsy.com/help/contact
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.