ETSY PROTEST "Etsy's Q2 2022 was disappointing" / Transaction Fee Increase

ETSY PROTEST: "Etsy's guidance for Q2 2022 was disappointing."  This is what happens when you attack and ignore sellers.

Etsy: Poor Guide, Too Richly Priced, Avoid: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4507158-etsy-q1-earnings-poor-guide-too-richly-priced-avoid

Has Etsy Finally Bottomed?: https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/423794

E-Commerce Problems Strike Again. EBay and Etsy Fall on Earnings: https://www.barrons.com/articles/oil-russian-crude-eu-export-ban-51651523249

Etsy Lowers Revenue Expectations By $64+ Million In First Quarter of 2022. 

NEXT STEP!

Tell Etsy to stop ignoring us: https://etsystrike.org/letter

Cancel the fee increase. Work with sellers, not against us!

Sign the petition at: https://www.coworker.org/petitions/cancel-the-fee-increase-work-with-sellers-not-against-us

We’re going on strike on April 11 to call on Etsy to hold itself accountable to sellers and buyers. Sellers will put their shops on vacation mode in protest. Buyers can show support by agreeing to boycott Etsy from April 11-18.

These are our demands:

1: Cancel the fee increase.
Increasing seller fees by 30% after two years of record sales is nothing short of pandemic profiteering. After the planned increase, our fees as sellers will have more than doubled in less than 4 years.

2: Crack down on Resellers
Etsy needs to provide a comprehensive plan for tackling resellers (people selling mass produced goods that they have not even designed themselves) on the platform. This plan must be transparent so that sellers can hold Etsy accountable.

3: “Golden” Support Tickets
People are waiting months to appeal computer-made decisions that stop them from accessing their own earnings, or running their business entirely. These people should have an automatic fast track through Etsy’s infamously slow support system. Etsy can’t bill itself as a folksy, handmade utopia while AI bots terrorize sellers whose livelihood depends on reaching buyers on the platform.

4: End the Star Seller program
Passive aggressive efforts to influence seller behavior are counter-productive and result in a worse customer experience. Rather than making us mad at buyers who leave glowing 4-Star reviews, or making us feel that we can no longer offer letter class shipping on items like cards and stickers, Etsy should leave us to individually do the best we can for each and every customer in each and every situation.

5: Let All sellers opt out of Offsite Ads
We should be in control of which listings to advertise, how much we spend on ads, and whether to advertise at all. There should be no level of “success” that forces sellers to foot Etsy’s advertising costs, unless we choose to. That “success” level being well below the federal poverty line only adds insult to injury.

Sign the petition at: https://www.coworker.org/petitions/cancel-the-fee-increase-work-with-sellers-not-against-us

MORE INFORMATION ON THE ETSY BOYCOTT STRIKE AT:

https://etsystrike.org/category/we-should-be-angry/

From Josh Silverman, CEO of Etsy:

Dear Seller Community, 

At Etsy, we’re focused on building a marketplace that allows sellers like you to turn your creativity and passions into real, money-making businesses. Last year, active sellers increased their sales by 23% on average compared to 2019*, and in 2021 alone, we showed more than 90 million active buyers worldwide that there’s an alternative to big-box, automated shopping.  

Together, we’ve made Etsy the global marketplace for unique and creative goods

We plan to make significant investments in marketing, seller tools, and creating a world-class customer experience so we can continue this tremendous growth. To support this goal, on April 11 we will increase our current 5% transaction fee to 6.5%.

This change will allow us to make improvements in three key areas: 

• Bringing more buyers to Etsy: Last year, we spent nearly $600 million on marketing. This year we’ll be investing even more, including the TV commercials, influencers and tastemakers, billboards, podcast advertising, and email marketing that bring new buyers to Etsy.
  • The support you need: We’ll grow our support team by more than 20% this year so you can get help more quickly and easily, including faster email responses, expanded access to live chat, and prioritization of your most urgent requests. 
  • Keeping Etsy unique: We’ll build on last year’s roughly $40 million investment in the teams and technology that help make our marketplace a safe and secure destination for handmade, vintage, and special items. This year we’ll expand our efforts to remove listings that don't meet our policies and help you resolve issues with buyers

We’ll also make significant investments in services and tools that will make it easier and smoother to grow your business. For instance, we’ll be launching a new seller app with enhanced features that make it easy for you to manage your orders, connect with buyers, and understand how your business is doing.

These are some of the great things we’ll invest in to keep Etsy a beloved, trusted, and growing marketplace. We don’t take fee changes lightly, and we believe that these investments will enable Etsy, and our seller community, to continue to grow.

Thank you for making Etsy a one-of-a-kind marketplace.

Josh Silverman 

CEO, Etsy 

We’d love to hear your thoughts on ways we can continue to invest in your shop’s success. Please share your ideas in this survey

You can see our updated Fees and Payments policy here

*Based on internal analysis of sales data of active sellers over a 12 month period, as of 12/31/19 and 12/31/2021.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT TRANSACTION FEE INCREASE AT:

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6742978/Etsy-Feedback-Survey-pxhln785q5?source=fa

JOSH SILVERMAN'S EMAIL jsilverman@etsy.com

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
14 Likes
42 Replies

Re: Transaction Fee Increase Information from Etsy's CEO Josh Silverman

Wow. That's quite a significant increase. 

6 Likes

0 Likes

WOW!!  That would be fine if that was the only fee that you charge. And I can’t believe you give a discount on postage and then charge a fee!

8 Likes

1 Like

I'm not getting any sales on Etsy since I dropped the free shipping thing. ! Im tired of paying out so much money and get nothing in return.   I think Etsy is greedy to raise our fees while people aren't spending money. !  I do better on other sites.  Free shipping is too costly. I was charged $63.00 to ship a doll to the west coast....the doll sold for 150.00. I made less than 75.00 on the sale.  Its too much to give free shipping and these added charges. 

10 Likes

1 Like

What other sites do you  use to sell your items?  I am looking to expand my shop on other sites. Thanks! 

2 Likes

Rif.: Transaction Fee Increase Information from Etsy's CEO Josh Silverman

Posso essere d'accordo ad un aumento se questo servisse ad incrementare le vendite, purtroppo non è quello che accade. Inoltre non trovo corretto pagare le commissioni anche sulle spese di spedizione che a volte sono molto alte. 

8 Likes

Rif.: Transaction Fee Increase Information from Etsy's CEO Josh Silverman

@AHomeShop 

PARTAGEZ VOS AVIS SUR L'AUGMENTATION DES FRAIS DE TRANSACTION SUR :

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6742978/Etsy-Feedback-Survey-pxhln785q5?source=fa

COURRIEL DE JOSH SILVERMAN jsilverman@etsy.com

0 Likes

Just shared my opinion in the survey. I don’t think they care about our opinion, but I hope that all our negative thoughts will make noise. I will close my Etsy shop and move to Bigcartel soon.

9 Likes
CMHandymade
Conversation Maker

@MyDreamyNostalgia Does bigcartel have a community also?

2 Likes

I have never heard of BigCartel until this moment. The fees with Etsy has gotten ridiculous. I offer free shipping for all domestic shipping but is can get costly over time. Now the fee increases happening. I feel like Etsy could care less for the little small shops. How do you like BigCartel? Do they not take fees?

4 Likes

@MyDreamyNostalgia If enough people say and act as you do, they must listen.  Etsy is only as successful as their shops.  

8 Likes

Ive already shared my thoughts with them earlier today but as an etsy seller, i think etsy should be focused on getting rid of all the copyright shops, dropshipping shops and those who buy from B and M and sell them as handmade!! 

9 Likes

@DigitalAndDelicate hopefully, you mentioned that in the survey too.  if not, I think you can submit another survey

0 Likes

yes i put it in the survey but they probably wont do anything about it

3 Likes
CMHandymade
Conversation Maker

Re: Etsy Boycott Strike / Transaction Fee Increase

I am definitely signing petition and putting shop in vacay mode. I've been on Etsy almost since their inception but they've been a constant disappointment and very disappointed lately. I stay on Etsy because at the time they started I feel there was no other concept quite like it and liked it. Sales came as they came but I had a home here for my craft work and a like-minded small business community like here. I can stay on vacay mode as long as need be and do it more frequent, but I'd keep my account. I did respond to survey weeks ago...so let's see.

4 Likes

I'll go on vacation mode for the strike! This level of greed is unreal!

8 Likes

MORE INFORMATION ON THE ETSY BOYCOTT STRIKE AT:

https://etsystrike.org/category/we-should-be-angry/

2 Likes

Hm... I wonder what percentage of sellers are actually going on strike and what type of a dent a shop like mine would make.

2 Likes

I wonder if Etsy will ''punish'' the shops that go on strike!

1 Like

I have been with Etsy since 2008. My sales are 1/3 of what they were, especially in the years 2015-2017. Seller fees and promoted ads are way too expensive and I cannot sell without the promoted ads. Please do not increase our transaction fees as they are already too high.

6 Likes

@seaglassin Make sure you say that when you sign the petition, fill out the survey, and email the CEO

0 Likes

Shop closed until the 18th. Stay strong!

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.