6 SEO Tips For Success

Hi guys, my name is Sarah-- I'm Glenn Greene's Etsy shop manager/advertising & marketing gal. I just wanted to post some tips and answer questions if you have any about Search Engine Optimization for Etsy. Also, if you have any tips, feel free to share!

So what is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
"The process of maximizing the number of visitors to a particular website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine."

You're maximizing the number of visitors by tagging and using keywords that are specific to the product you're trying to sell. Etsy makes this process relatively easy by incorporating fields within each listing to enter tags. But you can do more!

1. TAGGING:
Tags can be created in specific areas by separating words or phrases by commas. Example: handmade jewelry, statement necklace, amethyst gemstone... etc. It's best to use tags that are commonly used, but not SO commonly used that your listing would get lost within the search results. So try typing the tags you'd like to use into Etsy search beforehand, and see what pops up. Use that information to guide you on which tags work for your purposes. If there are 10,000 listings utilizing that tag, and 5,000 listings utilizing a different tag-- go with the tag that generates 5,000 search results, it means there's a larger chance you'll be found.

NOTE: Studies show that people browsing the web will click through up to 10 pages within one search. This means that if your listing is not showing up within the first 10 pages of that search term, it's likely your listing is not getting views. It's BEST to show up within the first 3 pages of a search. How can you get your listing to show up? Follow these SEO tips AND post new listings frequently-- at least one every other day.

2. SHOP TITLE:
Make sure your shop's "Title" under "Info & Appearance" utilizes tagging by stating who you are and what you're trying to sell separated by commas. For instance if you're a well known potter in your area and you've established a name for yourself you'll want to incorporate your name into your shop's title and what you sell in a way that your CURRENT AND POTENTIAL customers would search for you using a search engine-- example:

Linda Brown's Pottery, Ceramic Home Decor, Custom Ceramics

3. SHOP ANNOUNCEMENT:
Make sure that the first two sentences of your "Shop Announcement" really sell your shop and make it clear to potential customers what your product is. That's what people see when they come across your Etsy shop on google search. Example:

Welcome to Linda Brown's Pottery! We specialize in handmade ceramic home decor and gifts. Use this coupon code to receive free shipping for a limited time: FREE22

So you've stated who you are, what you sell and given the reader a good reason to click the link to YOUR shop... free shipping coupon!

4. PRODUCT TITLES:
It's extremely important to incorporate tagging into your titles. The best way to come up with tags for your titles is to think about what your potential customers are searching for. Here's an example title that is utilizing tags for a ceramic bowl:

Large Ceramic Bowl, Geometric Decor, Hand Painted Bowl, Royal Blue Decor, Pale Pink Decor, White Home Decor, Handmade Ceramic Decor, Handmade Gifts, Linda Brown Pottery

Just put yourself into your potential customer's shoes and think about what they're typing into a search engine to find products within your genre.

5. LISTING TAGS:
Within your product listing Etsy has a specific section for tags, simply titled "Tags" you are able to use 13 tags to describe your product and 13 tags that state the "Materials" used. You can actually copy and paste your title into the "Tags" area. After you do that you'll most likely have several more tags available to add, and it's important to try and use up all of the tags you have available.

6. RESEARCH:
It's a good idea to stay on top of trends both in general and within your own genre. So research what others doing for SEO frequently and continue to work on improving your listings.

I hope that's all helpful and relatively easy to read through/understand! Of course there are many other things you can do to improve your listings and your shop. Here are a few resources that have helped me:

http://www.handmadeology.com/

http://thinkingforward.tumblr.com/post/37798053532/how-to-optimize-your-etsy-shop-and-improve-sales#...

Comments

Thank you Mike, super helpful.

Thanks for the information you provided.

Thank you!

Thank you ,Mike,it's really useful for me 

OMG! I removed all of the commas from my titles only because I was advised to keep the title short and the tags long!! My traffic has definitely slumped! Going to revise. Thanks for the info:) 

Thank you so much! Immediately getting to work on this.

Hello Mike!
Thank you very much for the information, it is very helpful!
Best regards, Larisa.

Thank you!  Very helpful!

Thank you very much!  Good helpful! Immediately getting to work on this.

What would you say would be the best way/tool to audit my SEO tags? I'm hitting a wall in my research and making no progress in separating myself from the herd (my tags are FAR too generic but I cant seem to think of anything more unique).

A person would be amazing because Im a huge question asker, but if there is a tool that can at least help step me through revamping my tags that would be amazing.

Thank you very much!  Good helpful! Immediately getting to work on this.

Thank you very much for the information you provide. So how do I know if my store's SEO is working really well? Because there are many details that need attention, such as price, product photo. Is there an application where I can at least check if I have done the parts you mentioned well? Thanks.

Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable info with all of us. It is officially Christmas for you gave us all a great gift just now. Best wishes to all.

Thank you very much!  Good helpful! i am gonna try it all as soon as possible

So easy to understand. This is kind of thing I have been looking for!  
mill be on it tomorrow!

Thanks!!!!

Deb

Thank you Mike! This information is very helpful for me! I'm happy that you invited me to your community!
I started making changes to my store. I really hope that these changes will help to achieve success)

Thank you so much again and again !!

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. I can't wait to start sales as soon as possible.

Within my listings I currently use "pipes" to separate keywords, | like | this |.  Do you think it would be more beneficial for me to use commas instead? , like, this, ?

This information is so helpful to this newbie.  Thank you!!!

Super helpful

I have dashes between my keywords in my title.  Would it be better to use commas?  My traffic has been great, so I don't want to play around with what is working.  

Great question about the dashes instead of commas. Does it matter which ones we use in out title? 

Concise and to the point! Really helpful, thank you!

Great advice just what I needed thanks

Thank you mike

Thank you ^^

Thank you for this helpful information Mike.

Thank you, Mike. This is truly helpful, especially for newbies like myself who have little to no experience in digital marketing.

Thank you so much for this information. 

Thank you for the information.

Thank you very much for this very helpful information about SEO.

Thank you very much

thanks mike. this text was really helpful.

Perfect. Thank you for your infomation

Thank you for sharing this real seo information. 100% Work

Thank you for your information

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎07-26-2021 01:20 PM
Updated by:

Contributors