Former_Member
Not applicable

What do you think about Fire Mountain???

I've been buying from Fire Mountain Gems and Beads for as long as I've been making jewelry. I love it. But I'm hearing about lots of other places (example - Rio) and I wonder if I'm really getting the best deals on wire and beads with Fire Mountain.
Where do you guys buy your supplies? Do you like Fire Mountain?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
22 Replies

Re: What do you think about Fire Mountain???

Depends on how much of it you're buying in bulk.
If you find something on FMG do a search for the exact same thing here, Google shoping, and ebay. Then compare prices. It usually does not pay to buy only a few strands from FMG.
I do not purchase beads from Rio. just metals.
Most of the beads I purchase from Etsy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I get together with about a dozen other local jewelry artists once every two to three months to make one big order from Fire Mountan together. Their 200+ discounts are usually worthwhile.

Generally what I buy from them are tools, "common" bulk beads (like round metal beads and the like), chain, clasps, and specialized beads in shapes or stones I can't find elsewhere.

For Argentium, bronze, and solder, I buy from Rio, although I've been looking for a place with better prices or at least lower shipping.

For craft wire and yellow bronze wire/sheet, I order from Parawire.

For stones, I buy locally or at bead shows. I prefer to see a stone in person before purchasing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I purchase a lot of my beading items from Fire Mountain and have been pleased overall with them. I have also purchased from local bead shows and people on Etsy. As for their pricing on wire I find them to be extrememly expensive in comparison to a local supplier of mine Armstrong Tool and Supply. They do ship so you could check them out if you wanted www.armstrongtoolsupply.com
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Maaaany years ago I used to shop from FM but at that time there was little else to choose from. I really think that better deals and quality can be found elsewhere ...

There are the "Big Three" (not my term :) for wire:

Monsterslayer
Rio
Thunderbird

and then there are several others, here is a short list:

JewelrySupply
CGM
FusionBeads
IndianJewelrySupply
ArtBeads
ShipwreckBeads

Where I buy depends on what else I need in an order (metal beads, sheet, bezel, solder etc.) and what each of them carry at what price so that I can put together the best order at the least cost ... it takes some research but it's worth it :)

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think they are expensive comparied to supply places that sell similar items. I'd search around before staying with FMG.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you all! Your replies were very helpful :)
(by the way - I just found the site "dollarbead.com"...it's worth looking at!)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

FYI, for what it is worth.. I've ordered some stuff from Dollarbead.com and I can't say that I was impressed at all.. there were a few good things, but just remember, in this case, you get what you pay for.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Good to know Dana.
I like the carnelian beads...they're the fifth item when you go to the gemstones section.
But the item descriptions are the same as the titles and there are no item numbers that i can find...which I find a little....odd I guess.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I mean, I've ordered stuff from them.. and some of it is okay. But it is just not HIGH quality. It is okay to practice with and play with, but I don't think I would sell any of it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

mm, I hear the quality of gemstones at FMG is generally poor, but the metals and beads and other stuff should be quite acceptable, if expensive - unless you use:

http://www.jetbeads.com/xcart/

The person who runs jetbeads purchases wholesale from FMG, and supposedly gives better discounts. Not sure how it works - I've not used them before.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't buy many beads from FMG. Sometimes I buy my chips there, but I prefer to look at stones in person. Sometimes the picture looks NOTHING like the product. That happens a lot with serpentine.
0 Likes

I find Fire Mountain to be good for a lot of basic, inexpensive supplies. I tend to get plated chains or cords from there, cotton-lined boxes, simple jewelry displays, Swarovski crystals, and I'll often take a chance on inexpensive or very straightforward beads that look fun. The prices for a lot of things are fairly good if you can get up to the 50+ items range.

JetBeads allows you to order a smaller amount from FM and still get the 50+ item price, or get a small price break if you are ordering 50+ items already. I have used them once, and found it worked it out -- the only downside is that it does add several more days to the process. If I'm already ordering 50+ items, it doesn't seem worth it for the relatively small savings, but if I'm not, and don't need the items super fast, JetBeads would I think be very worthwhile. They were responsive and I had no problems with my order.

Some things, however, either aren't available on FM or are considerably more expensive. If I want sterling earwires, I get them from Fusion Beads; if I want titanium/niobium, I go to Reactive Metals. I hate FM's craft wire options; I use Parawire or Artistic Wire for enameled copper wire, depending on what color/gauge.

I would not buy stones from FM except for the very inexpensive why-not ones; I don't like not being able to pick what you're going to get, and my impression is that what you get can be pretty inconsistent, and not necessarily nearly as nice as in the photos. I really only buy stones in person, sometimes from my local bead shop, sometimes at the Rings&Things show when they come to town. (A great place to be able to see what you're buying and get a bit of a discount.)

FusionBeads is great if you need a small amount of something right away, because there's no shipping or overhead cost; it's all already rolled into the item prices. So if you find you need a single crystal or bead, it's a great place to go.

If you can get to the 50+ level with Fire Mountain, the other nice thing is that they do have a very flexible return policy. As long as you haven't removed things from packaging, you can return them at any time for a full refund/credit. So it is possible to take a look at what you get, and return things you don't like.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I can almost always find the same materials for less than FMG prices. Typically I shop at Rio Grande, Monster Slayer, and for displays at Jewelry Supply. Nile also has great prices on jewelry boxes. FMG has yet to compete with any of these sites.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I also do not buy stones or pearls from FM, because I've received some VERY poor quality beads. I order their plated items, beading wire, swarovski crystal, and pewter charms. I believe Rio has the best deal on precious metal wire that I've found. Parawire is where I get my craft wire. I love their wire, and they have square and half-round in many gages and colors. I've used Gemmall http://www.gemmall.com/ for stone beads and have always been happy with them. I've also used cherry tree beads http://www.cherrytreebeads.com/index.php and have been happy with the quality. Their beads are not as high as FM. I think FM is good for some things, but there are better quality and prices elsewhere. I also have gone to the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, (the JOGS show) but that can be overwhelming. There was a bead store in Roswell NM I used to go to that was wonderful (Happy Jacks Beads and Books) but I don't live there anymore. So the bottom line is, FM is wonderful for plated items. I use CGM findings for sterling and gold-fill earwires.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That was pretty long winded! Sorry!
0 Likes

Make sure you pay attention to what grade stone you are purchasing.
AAA is the absolute best. I won't buy anything under a c grade.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Anjasarts,
I pay a lot of attention to the gemstone grades, luckily! I agree that it is very important. A lower grade may seem to be a better deal, but it's always worth it to buy the next grade up.
Just wanted to add in that I've seen your shop and love love love your jewelry!
Nice work :)
0 Likes
abigailpine
Registered Buyer

I'd love to try some beads and other things from there, but as I'm in England, the postage is absolutely horrendous!
0 Likes
ArtisticTouches
Inspiration Seeker

I purchase my Czech glass beads there. I have yet to find anyone who sells my 49 strand beading wire cheaper than the 50 level at FMG. I also buy a lot of findings and Swarovski from them. Gemstones I rarely buy from them and agree with everyone else that I prefer to purchase them when I can see them. I buy most of my lampwork beads from GoodyBeads. I am like most of the others, wire from Parawire. I also like Rings-n-things for findings and beads.
0 Likes

I have a few things that I get from FM but not wire. I get my wire and most tools from Rio and they have recently lowered their minimum amounts of wire. The one thing they haven't had in the past was Argentium 20 gauge half-round wire in half hard.
0 Likes

I used to buy from FMG too but I think their bead quality is poor and findings too expensive. If I can't find it anywhere else I will go there. I mostly use CGM, they are my favorite. Before I could buy wholesale I bought at Monsterslayer, their prices are awesome but they don't have everything. I reserve Rio Grande for when I can't find it elsewhere cause they aren't cheap but they seem to have everything as far as findings are concerned. I just discovered: http://www.beadsonsale.com/ They have some great beads for great prices but rotating selection, so nothing you can count on. I have been happy with my purchases. I also buy alot of beads on Etsy.
0 Likes

I forgot to mention: http://fusionbeads.com/ They are great for Swarovski, CZ, glass etc and some hard to find findings.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.