Former_Member
Not applicable

Steps Into a Consignment Shop

Hi there! I am new to this and was wondering what are some of the first steps you take
with getting your items into a consignment shop? I interested in doing this but I am not sure where to start?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Steps Into a Consignment Shop

any ideas or thoughts on how or where to start? :)
0 Likes

I do consignment mostly in other states. Some consider this risky.
I found them here in this group. I have approached two in Seattle. One turned into a wholesale account.
I just searched for boutiques in the area i was looking for and then googled as much information on them as possible to make sure my items would be a great fit.
The I emailed them letting them know who I was what I sell with a link, and telling them that I was open to consignment or wholesale and if they are interested to please get back to me. I also thank them for their time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you! I have a couple boutiques here in my town where I was thinking about asking them if they would be interested. I just wasn't sure if I need to do anything special first or if I should just contact them and see what happens :)
0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

I do a LOT of consignment.. and I have written about my GOOD experiance with it both here and on my blog (www.homespunloft.blogspot.com).

Take pics with you.. have some samples in your vehicle.. knock on some doors.
All you can do is ask. They might say yes... or not...Do NOT be offended if they say no.. it is not about you-- it is a business thing.
See what they have to say... get their terms up front.
Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

WOW I love your blog! it is so entertaining and full of wonderful information. And for being a newbie still this is such a great source of information.
Thank you so much for sharing!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

TheHomespunLoft - I loved reading your blog posting about consignment. I also love doing consignment and have had good success with no mishaps, knock on wood! Thank you for the inspiration!

Anyone thinking of doing consignment must read her post!

:-)
Diana
0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

Diana, Kelsey thanks!

I too have never had a bad experience with it. Sometimes slow to get my things/money back from out of towners.. but never bad.
I am always looking for shops. I like doing it. Easier for me than sitting all day at a craft show.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So when you are searching for a consignment shop, I saw that you literally have a phone book in your car (which I love!) but if I were to look for a consignment shop a couple hours away would you just search for boutiques/shops?
I guess my question is I know I can't go into a Macy's or anything so how do you figure which are one to contact? I guess it would just be research right?
0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

Kelsy--for a couple hours away-- I would call before I took the trip... It would be a pain to waste your day travelling if no one wanted to do consignment.

However, when I am scoping out potential shops.. I am not looking for "consignment" shops- they are generally selling used clothes and furniture. My things do not fit well in that setting.

I am looking for any place that has the word "Gift" or "Gifts" in it's name. I am also looking for places called things like "The Purple Goose".. artsy name-- they are a lot of the time a gift shop.

Places like Macy's have reps that go looking for items for their store.

And-- I guess I am writing another blog post about all of this! So, stay tuned!!.
0 Likes

good tips here.
0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.