Cleaning and Repairing

Jump to solution
I thought a thread where we could post questions and answers for cleaning and repairing our vintage finds might be helpful.

If you have a question, please read through the questions and answers before posting it just in case someone already asked. If you see the question, but no answer, ask again. If your question is not here, ask away.

If you have an answer, please make sure to be specific on which question you are answering.

If you read an answer and have an alternate solution, please post it. Just remember to be polite and not dis the previous answer.

If you have tried one of the suggestions and it totally destroyed your item, then by all means politely explain what happened.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cleaning and Repairing

Jump to solution
I've been going back through this thread, and want to bring it to the top again, to let some of the newer shops benefit from the great ideas here.

If you have any tips or questions about simple repairs or cleaning, here's a great place to drop a line, and get some help.

Here's something that works if you have a perfume smell you want to minimize. I put the item in a zip lock with one of those packets of crystals that come in shoe boxes (or some foods like crackers) to keep the moisture out-- forget what they're called, silica crystals, maybe? (also the stuff you dry flowers with, or put in a damp basement to get rid of mildew smells. The crystals absorb the perfume, and voila! Only takes a week or two-- it's amazing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
56 Replies

Jump to solution
I wil start. . .

I have a few beaded purses with unknown stains on the fabric under the beads. Any suggestions on how to clean these stains? Thanks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
what colour are the stains - are they rust?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Really glad to see this thread. I definitely have some questions, but I will have to come back later to post them. Have to finish promoting first. 🙂
0 Likes

Jump to solution
The stains on one bag are rust colored.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Donna. Great idea for a thread;0)

I have used a cleaner that removes rust stains pretty good. It's called Whink Rust Stain Remover says its for all color fast fabrics. Worth a try. Test it first though so as not to cause any damage. Good Luck;0) Patsy
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Great idea!

1. Other than dental tools, anyone have ideas on removing verdigris from metal components? I have tried a citrus based jewelry cleaner (Citrus-Solv?), but it seems to strip the metal.

Thanks, Teammies!

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Removing verdigris - NevrDull is a great metal polish that has a strong smell but it is nontoxic. It is an impregnated wadding material in a can so you can tear off just a tiny piece if that's all you need. It will clean anything but it is gentle. I have used it on antiques with no damage to the item. It's amazing!

Another of my favorite stain removers is Nature's Miracle which is a liquid enzyme cleaner you can buy in pet shops. It removes biological materials really well without damaging the fabric. Always try a test spot to make sure it's color fast though. I use Nature's Miracle on everything - even fragile 18th century silk and it has never failed me. It has even removed some ink stains.

For rust and many other stains on vintage and antique fabrics, 3% hydrogen peroxide on a Q-tip is gentle and effective.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for the tips. I have some really nice old vintage linens table cloths, runners, dresser scarves etc; its a shame when they gave those scorched iron marks on them. anybody know how to remove those? They really are not stains but burn marks, I kind of doubt anything would remove those. But, I'm going to try your peroxide method and see if it works. Thanks again, Patsy;0)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I had some very nasty verdigris on a bracelet in a tight area. Got my faithful white vineger, dabbed cotton tip to it and applied with gentle strokes...and it worked. Witch hazel is another natural way for removing things of that type...plus it was handy in the bathroom cabinet 🙂
0 Likes

Jump to solution
white vinegar, I'll have to try it sounds better then ketchup and mustard which I have heard some people use for verdigris;0)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Ketchup, while removing verdigris, also tends to remove the finish, in my experience. I rely on vinegar and a soft toothbrush. I've even used white vinegar in the vicinity of faux pearls, on Haskell pieces. Never had any damage to the pearl finish, although I did try not to get it directly on pearls.

Witch Hazel? Lol, my mother always kept a bottle of that. Might have to buy a bottle and give it a try.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Lynn. Yes, ketchup does remove the finish, I tried it once and it was so messy too, Patsy;0)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Great tips! Thanks, going to try some. : )

Witch hazel used to be in everyone's bathroom vanity. Great idea!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Wow jsut reading up here some great tips. I don't know about scorcth marks Patsy but I soaked some old linens in vineger then rinshed them, then soaked them in oxi-clean, then dried them outside and they look brand new. Some took a few days.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I don't replace many stones or do much repairs. But I occasionally will replace a single stone or maybe 2 . What is the best glue? E6000 was recommended but it is so stringy and I have trouble getting a dab into a small space - little enough it doesn't ooze up around the stone.

Appreciate any suggestions!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Sue, When I have a small space I need to use E6000 on, I put a drop of it on aluminum foil, then I use a toothpick to pick up just a little at a time and dab that into the small space, thus preventing the "big glob". Hope this works for you.

Frances
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Frances, thank you - I hadn't thought of a toothpick - I was using the needle like metal thing. I will give that a try. I was just wondering if there was a better jewelry glue?

Appreciate the tip!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Sue,

I use Hypo Cement for stones or Aleene's for things that need a stronger bond (like sterling inlaid with shell). The latter was a suggestion from Melissa of the Jewelry Repair Company (whose services I highly recommend!).
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hypo cement works for me (and doesn't hurt the rhinestones). I use a pin head to pick it up. Better to put a little extra in the cup, and on the rhinestone, then come back later and remove before it totally sets up. That way you get a good bond. I also use a wax tipped picker-upper (from Mr. Stones) to pick up the stones. Heat it in your hand to soften, or hold it up to a light bulb. Especially when rhinestones are tiny, it can be frustrating. I work in a small metal box so that if I drop the stone, I'll be able to find it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I had an old Coro Cameo Pendant I tried to clean and the cameo fell off! It appears as though it may have been reglued at some point. My question is has anyone replaced a cameo before? This is resin, not real shell. I think if I can find a decent one I can replace it. The camso had to be old Coro maybe 40's?

Thanks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Patsy, Kim-- I took some advice and soaked my old linens in vinegar--and it made holes in the fabric! It is an acid, so probably not the best thing. I use Oxyclean for almost everything. Make a strong solution-- two or three of the cup that comes with it--and stir it into very hot water. Soak until the stain goes away. I
learned this method just trying to get stains out of our clothing, and it works great with linens, too. Wash by hand or on gentle cycle afterwards.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
You can brighten the shine of large rhinestones etc with a proprietry glass cleaner..Although I am always careful never to over do it.White vinegar is brilliant for all sorts of things.I haven't got the link on my tablet but when laptop back I will post.
I need to find a suitable glue for bonding shell to metal Have tried most things like hypo cement e6000 and araldite.I am always careful to clean surfaces etc but not much luck.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
For cleaning cleaning linens etc don't you have Biz in the states?.One of my friends who has an Etsy shop recommends it,There Is another product recommended available in the states, again I will post as soon as back to normal For the life of me I can't remember the name but a lot of antique linen and lace dealers use it with excellent results.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thanks all haven't caught up on this thread in a bit. GREAT advice!

I received an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for x-mas. What should I avoid putting in there? I know some people that put almost everything in it! YIKES....
I know the basics, but please recommendations??
TIA
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.