12 Replies

Re: Patterns That Sold For Fabulous Prices

That's amazing! I had put bids on two of those listings early on and watched them climb. I give up after it reaches a certain point but it's interesting to watch the auction!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's incredible that someone is prepared to spend that much when you don't quite know what you're getting. Good luck to them I guess.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I watched this one and it went for a lot. It was a Givenchy. You can check it out here. I really wanted it but I'm a poor seamstress way out of my price range:
http://eleenfashionista.blogspot.com/2010/09/hurry-hurry-only-little-time-left-on.html
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ohhh that apron pattern lot looked awesome!
and the Givenchy :-O amazing price!
0 Likes

Yes. It is a gamble - you don't even know if they are complete!

I almost sold a Hepburn/Givenchy pattern for $10 when I first opened shop.

The person who "bought it " used my photos to list it on ebay - before she even completed the etsy checkout!!

I contacted Etsy admin and they shut the deal down for me within an hour.

As soon as she got a bid on ebay she tried to complete the purchase and the etsy listing was gone! Pretty cool. I told her there was a "very similar pattern for sale on ebay and she might try bidding on that one."

The nerve!
0 Likes

There are some buyers out there just ready to snag a deal from someone unaware of pattern value. I've had some of my own patterns sell to such buyers who then turn around pronto and either list on eBay immediately or stick it up on their own website for huge monies. I am more careful now ... I've learned thru experience.
0 Likes

Hi I'm a new member! Been "collecting" patterns on eBay for the last year or so, but being a dressmaker I only bid on patterns I might use, never the big lots. I've got a pretty decent stash now but I have always been curious about the patterns that go for BIG $$$$ on eBay before I even bid! Can anyone estimate what percentage is to be used vs. collected? (When I pay over 20.00 for a pattern I feel guilty using it! LOL!) Just been 'insanely' curious about this.
0 Likes

Hey RetroSewCo, Welcome! I've sold vintage patterns to designers who told me they plan to modify those retro styles into their own contemporary lines. It's also very popular to sew retro now. I also know others who just collect for pleasure. And then there's the resale market. Big lots are sometimes a gamble, but kinda fun to dig thru to see what you might find.
0 Likes

Thanks for your insight. Yes, I sure wish I could indulge myself and buy a box full all at once, but, I need to sell some things first! I especially love using vintage appropriate fabric when I can. ( Nothing like a 70's halter dress made from a groovy double knit!)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I guess I'm a nicer person. On Ebay once there was a lot and I really wanted a certain pattern out of it. In it was a pattern that I've seen go for over $100.00.

I messaged her and let her know. She took of the listing and thanked me. She was a elderly lady on a fixed income so she really appreciated it.
0 Likes

I actually buy box lots on Ebay pretty often when I find one that is going for really, really cheap and there are often such wonderful treasures in them. It's pretty much always worth the investment if you hold out for the cheap ones that come along now and then. I got an Infinite Dress pattern in a box lot a while back, along with tons of other fabulous patterns, all for about $20 including shipping.

But I have been thinking about this pouncing thing lately. I just bought a pattern from a seller on Ebay that is really cute and she sold it really cheap, she sells most of her patterns really cheap and I've bought several from her that I've resold so I am wanting to write her and mention that I think she undersells some of her items, but she's been doing this a long time and I feel awkward about it. Maybe she does it on purpose as a loss leader? I don't know. I kind of want to write her and put the Etsy bug in her ear. Would any of you write her? Or would you be annoyed if you got such an email when you'd been conducting your business for quite some time already?
0 Likes

PrettyPatternShop, I've actually written to sellers telling them they're pricing their stuff too cheap. Especially when the words "Grandma's Collection" or "from my mother's sewing room" are mentioned someplace in the description. I believe all sellers should get what their items are worth if at all possible.

However, on the other hand, once I wrote to a seller on eBay about a box of old embroidery transfers, mail order Alice Brooks etc., that she'd listed buy it now. I told her they were quite valuable, and would go for big $ sold individually, and she wrote back telling me she couldn't be bothered, and then sold me that lot plus even more she had on hand but didn't list, for a ridiculously low price. I sold them individually, and they kept me in peanut butter and cat food for a time I'll tell you.

Now, here's a lot of patterns closing today, and there's even more for sale by this particular seller. Just click on the link "see other items" to the right of the description to see all he's listed. Some big collector's collections. Betcha they all go for big bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Special-LOT-120-Vintage-Sewing-Patterns-30s-40s-50s-60s-/300541800464?pt=LH_Defa...

Hugs, Rosie :):)

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.