Mrsdepew
Inspiration Seeker

Pattern Listings, what is your checklist?

I'm sure many of us have developed a checklist of sorts to make sure we include everything in the pattern listing.
Are there any particular tags that you never forget to add? Pertinent details that you wouldn't finish a listing without? We might all have some great tips for new pattern sellers, and maybe even learn something new ourselves!
I have a simple 'post it' open on my desktop and I always paste in the following from it as I write my description:

Condition:
Pattern complete:
Size:

Then I flesh out the details around that.
Also, I often check the Vintage Pattern Wiki to see if the envelope description available. If so, it saves me some typing and makes my description more user friendly.

And Finally, I make sure that I start my title with the pattern name/ number and finish with the bust measurement.
Example:
Butterick 2319 Vintage Ladies Dress Sewing Pattern Bust 44

This way, anyone searching for this particular pattern in a search engine will find mine directly.

Happy Selling!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: Pattern Listings, what is your checklist?

I do much of the same. I check the Wiki and edit it a bit to include the date or date range. When I think of it I try to include the number of pattern pieces. I should really always include that because it is an indication of level of difficulty. I have started adding the era to the title (i.e. 1950s) for an added category for Google searches because the tags only apply to ETSY searches. I hadn't realized that until recently. Sellers who pack their titles with information know the benefits of this. It is also helpful because buyers apparently don't read the descriptions. I get tons of convos asking for information that is already there.

Description of the envelope is critical as is noting any flaws in the tissues. I would rather exaggerate the flaws to insure the buyer does not feel deceived.

I rarely, if ever, add commentary when I list patterns. I keep it pretty straight forward.

I would encourage new sellers is to look up pattern sellers and see what info they provide. It's a lot of work for sometimes very little return, but this commodity is more likely to bring repeat buyers than some others.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

this is great info, thanks for sharing! I went and redid the titles of all my patterns with the name and number listed first.

as a thank you to everyone on this great team I am offering FREE shipping on any and all patterns using the coupon code VTGPATTERNSELLERS

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

In my title I always put the pattern number as well. This helps tremendously when I sell a pattern to figure out the exact pattern that has sold.

I have a "description master" in word that starts with pattern envelope description and then as follows:

Size:
Bust:
Waist:
Pattern and Envelope description:

If I came across a special pattern I will give information as to where it came from. I for one love the history of the journey many patterns have made during their years in circulation, but that is me. I put it at the bottom so if the customer is just interested in the specifics they are clearly listed first.
0 Likes

I have been thinking a lot about this lately, think I am going to start including the pattern number in the title. I always include it in the tags, but have recently realized that this doesn't show up in the search engines off the Etsy site. I also put the year in my title, and the decade in my tags, but think I am going to start putting the decade in the title instead. I think lots of people search by decade. If something is a pretty iconic representation of a fashion era or fad, like Mod, or Boho, or Rockabilly, then I include that in the tags, too.

Also, I was SOO excited when Etsy finally created a search your sold items feature, but then I realized you could only search the title so having the pattern number in the title is helpful that way as well.

I always describe any flaws and put a PLEASE NOTE in caps to get the buyer's attention. If it has a major flaw, like a missing envelope, I put that in the title so that a repeat customer doesn't just snag it without reading the listing.

Otherwise, I always put size, measurements, year, condition and a description of the items the pattern will make. In my life before patterns I was a writer and I can't help editorializing a bit here and there but try to keep it brief.
0 Likes

What Mrsdepew says is important. I wouldn't buy a pattern where there wasn't a condition description. Any vintage sale should address condition.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

hello everyone, I have just opened my shop today! So this is really important, I feel slightly relieved that I'm doing the right thing.
I start with pattern type and no., date, size, and condition of paper, I would be gutted to buy a pattern that was ripped and I didn't know about it.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.