Cigarette Smell

Does anyone have any great ideas for gettting cigarette smoke smell out of patterns? I have always just assumed they were ruined and haven't tried getting rid of the odor, but I just read (in a listing for an amazing lot of vintage patterns on ebay) that you could close them up in a bin with absorbent cat litter and that would help. Has anyone tried this? I just got the cutest bunch of patterns but they absolutely REEK! I listed a couple of them because they were just so cute, but had to price them so low because of the smell. Like this one: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/47368708.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Cigarette Smell

I have tried cat litter, activated charcoal, baking soda etc. The only thing that I have found that seems to work is to layer them with dryer sheets and seal them up for a week or two. Then, to get rid of the dryer sheet smell I just air them out. Someone I knew bought a car from someone who smoked and stuffed dryer sheets all over the car and it neutralized the smell. I figured it was worth a try. The ones I end up tossing are the ones that smell musty and mildewy. Anyone have a cure for that?
0 Likes
PeoplePackages
Conversation Maker

I have not had the cigarette smell, but had just some kind of old smell and I put the pattern in a plastic garbage bag with baking soda for a few weeks, I thought it helped. I found this link

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=361138
0 Likes
Mrsdepew
Inspiration Seeker

I've heard to get really bad smells out of vintage clothing, you can hang them outside in the sunshine to air out, and it can actually remove the smell of b.o.
If you were to leave them outside on a sunny day where they could catch a breeze, maybe hang them from a clothesline, it might work!
Also, you might try sprigs of lavender, rosemary, or cedar in a plastic storage bin. I left some smelly patterns in a cedar dresser drawer for a while and they smelled much better after.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Gain dryer sheet
0 Likes

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I've got them closed up with some dryer sheets and will report how they turn out. The smell of the sheets is almost as awful to me as the smoke, but then I'll put them out in the sun as long as I can get a calm day--the winds are unpredictable here and I'd hate to have to go chasing my patterns through the desert!
0 Likes

The dryer sheet odor does dissipate in time and becomes much more pleasant. I wonder if there are lavender scented dryer sheets. Now THAT is a scent I could live with.

Good luck PrettyPatternShop. The sheets have saved many a pattern (and books and magazines) from that insidious cigarette stench for me. Hopefully it will for you too.
0 Likes

YIPPEE! Am happy to report that my patterns are quite refreshed. I am a little overwhelmed by the dryer sheet smell, but I got a pie safe style cabinet with wire mesh doors and put them outside in the breeze. Now they smell really nice. I am SO pleased with this! Thanks so much for the tip, am trying it with other things now, too!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well that is good to know Pretty since I'm pretty sure I have purchased from you on Art Fire lol :)

I would have dealt with the tobacco though
0 Likes

How about old lady's cats smell? This isn't as bad so maybe I will just start with airing out.

The worst smell is mothballs though, I don't think that is humanly possible to remove, though I wish it was...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

lol Erika I call it the Estate Sale smell. Get it a lot with clothing.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.