Any other Stay At Home Mamas?

Just wondering if there are any other stay at home mamas in the pattern team? And if so, how you manage to get your listings done? For me it kind of came down to a choice between sleep and shopping for/listing/golluming over my patterns and so I decided to go without sleep! But I am getting a little tired...

I actually ended up in the pattern business because as my son started getting to the toddler age and I couldn't do much handmade any more, we started going to the thrift stores to play with toys and look for craft supplies. And I picked up a few old patterns, and they sold, and then I got more, and then I got some lots on Ebay and then, well, you know how it goes!

But now he's at an age where he needs a lot of interaction and hates going to the shops so my pattern business is conducted mostly while he's asleep. But it's worth it, I love what I do and it brings in income for our family.

Anyone actually been able to make a living at this?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Any other Stay At Home Mamas?

Me! It is challenging to find the time. I had another shop before on Etsy and at the time I was homeschooling 3 kids plus had a toddler. It was too much. Now the older kids are in school and I work around the newest baby's nap time or wait until my hubby or teenagers are around to help occupy him.

I'm a supply and vintage shop mostly now because there was no way I could devote that much time to handmade.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi, I just joined the team and I am a SAHM. Only a portion of my shop is vintage sewing patterns. I'm new to Etsy so I haven't had a whole lot of sales yet. I try to squeeze in listing 2 or 3 items twice a week when my youngest is napping, the oldest is in school, and the middle one is having "quiet time." ha ha. If I can't get it done then, I do it after everyone is in bed late at night.
0 Likes

I'm kinda a SAHM. I don't have an outside job, but I do have my mother help with my son a couple days a week so I can list and make some $$$. I also try to get as much done as I can on the weekends when my DH is around.

My son, William, is 3 1/2 and has almost no tolerance for me being on the computer (unless I'm showing him something fun!)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi :) I just joined the team and just opened my vintage etsy shop two days ago. I have a TON of listing to do and am struggling with a lot of the same issues you all are talking about. I have a handmade shop, but I am having trouble finding time to do a lot of handmade work right now, so I decided to destash some of my "vintage" collection and see how it goes (I can't believe they consider anything over 20 years old vintage! I guess I wear vintage clothes without even realizing it!)

I mostly find myself doing listings while my youngest is napping and older one is in pre-school, or at night when they go to bed, but I am also feeling sleep deprived because I've been staying up way too late doing this. Good to know there are other SAHmamas out there :)
0 Likes

Hello all! Well, good to know I am not alone sitting up in the wee hours doing listings while the littles are asleep. My son is also pretty intolerant of the computer, but he is 4.5 now and beginning to be a little more philosophical about it. We've just recently worked it out so he has his own area in the office and, while the toys tend to migrate onto my desk and I find all sorts of bizarre things in the pattern boxes, it mostly works out pretty well if I do things in short increments.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.