☕ COFFEE CORNER ☕

Let's talk about Books!

Or

Shop Talk!

Share what's on your mind from book topics to shop promotions, etc.

One Rule:
MUST HAVE BEVERAGE OF CHOICE IN HAND!☕

COME STAY A WHILE!

Inspiration Photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/benmurray/5106627523/

(Credit: Ben Murray, Flickr: brmurray--CC BY-NC 2.0).

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
61 Replies

Re: ☕ COFFEE CORNER ☕

More Inspiration

From our very own team member's shop Random Goods Book Room:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/240884203/the-maxwell-house-coffee-cookbook-1964?ga_order=most_relevant...

I found this book by searching our team tag: VBTEAM.

Please remember to tag your vintage books and ephemera with this tag! These must all be vintage (20 plus years old).

Note: This tag is to be used for vintage and antique books only as well as for the acceptable types of vintage ephemera stated in our team description. It is reserved for team members only!
It may also be used for vintage book treasuries curated by team members.
If you decide to leave this team for any reason, please remember to delete the VBTEAM tag from your vintage book and ephemera listings. Thank you.
0 Likes

Is there any vintage book you own that you wouldn't offer for sale because you like it too much?

I found a book recently in my book shelves that was years ago given away by a library in Germany and classified as having content that was no longer timely.
And enjoyed reading it so much, as well as looking at the simple, but great line drawings by the author.

It is in German: Notdlandreise by Karel Capec. He was a famous Czech writer, and in one of his science fiction novels invented the term "robot"
0 Likes
VintageBookworms
Conversation Maker

@Christine, I have SO many books that I love too much to list! One that I just picked up is Jack LaLanne's Slim and Trim Diet and Exercise Guide. This book, from the 1970's, is simply fantastic and I can't stop looking through it!
0 Likes

Of course, I have my cuppa tea, right here!

Christine, Yes!
I found a copy of Walt Disney's Song of the South, Tales by Uncle Remus at a flea market while I was traveling for business. I snatched that bad boy right up, because I remember sitting on my dad's lap listening to him read those stories and using a different voice for every character. Copies of that book are nearly impossible to find due to the "politically correctness" of our era.

I treasure the memories of that book and enjoy the stories for what they are - stories.

I love the sounds of your silverware book - so totally different from science fiction, which was his main focus in writing? Sci Fi or non fiction?
0 Likes

It is about his travels to Scandinavian countries. I think he wrote a few such travel books.
0 Likes

Quite a few actually. mostly art books by friends but my favorite is a Henry Miller book published by a small book store in AZ. Only 500 copies were printed, a fellow Etsy seller knows my passion for Miller and sold it to me for a pittance.
0 Likes

Hello all.

I found a cookbook from 1959 (year of my birth) , and it had recipes from life on the farm. I was raised on a farm so it took me back. :) I couldn't bring myself to list it and I don't even like to cook. lol So I gave it to my sister.
0 Likes

That sounds like quite a treasure. I hope your sister invites you over when she cooks those recipes. My family writes all their recipes down in notebooks so I have the cookbooks of my grandma, great grandma and my aunts. Yesterday I found the first cookbook i made, maybe 8 years old. Not quite as sophisticated as the ones I did in my 20s.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Christine I love the question! We all know each other and what type of books we sell but this is a way to find out what makes a person tick not as a shop but as a book lover.

Titanic Collection - nothing with the movie or love crap (which I am opposed) but the grave site books, Ireland, etc. I believe I was born with this obsession as I can not tell you when it began. Ships in general fascinate me and therefore stamps, postcards, etc.
0 Likes

This sounds a bit like my husband, queen.
0 Likes

I love how books hold a place in time in our memories.
Thorton Burgess = my childhood - and dad reading them at bed time
Uncle Remus as mentioned above.
Laura Ingalls = the first set of books I read and bought and craved and coveted while in elementary school. I remember going to the bookstore and pining over them as I saved my pennies to buy the next one in the set.
0 Likes

I was sent a book as a present totally unexpectedly by someone I only know online. All poems by Hilde Domin. I was so surprised and happy.

Is there a book that was a gift to you, and that fact enhances its value for you?

A question that is somewhat contrary to this, as it deals more with selling books: Is a book signed by the author worth more than an unsigned copy?
0 Likes

Usually a book signed by the author is more valuable than one that is not. However, there are times when the signature's value is minimal (unknown author, author who signed every book, etc)

I have had books gifted to me that become more valuable because of the thought that went into the gifting.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have a few military books - forgot another obsession - that are autographed however there is one that dates and signs where -in my opinion this is more valuable than just an autograph
0 Likes

Bee, you share similar interests with my Father-in-law. I am visiting him now in Virginia, and we spent time looking through boxes of old historical postcards. Our discussions were intetesting. He has many history and military books, old and new alike. Noel, I adored the Laura Ingalls books as well. I also loved Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Secret Garden. I still cannot part with my early childhood book collection. I view these books as gifts from parents from a special time in my life that has come and gone, but will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm sure many of you will relate to this. It seems people who love old things like books are romantics at heart.
0 Likes

2-3 inches of snow overnight here in Ohio. I'm thinking today's going to be a good day to curl up and read.

Or, get hopping on listing some of that backed up inventory I've got in the attic.

What are you doing that's book related today?
0 Likes

Reading Anna Karenina for the 2nd time. It's one of my favorite classics.
0 Likes

I will only read my currant bedtime novel tonight.

But tomorrow in the train to Dublin I will read in one of my presents.

I do write poetry myself sometimes, and made third place in a competition in a German literature forum a while ago. Because my prize took so long to be sent to me, I received an additional rather new book with poems yesterday.
And I know another book is on its way to me, sent by its author.

So I'm looking forward to read all these..
0 Likes

That's wonderful, Christine! It's been at least two years since I have written any poetry, but lately I have felt a strong desire to begin writing again. This must mean my thoughts need more organization, but I am also feeling a bit more creative lately.
0 Likes

Of course, who wouldn't after reading Tolstoy again..?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

As most of my collection was left to me from my grandfather when he passed away there are several items that I just can't bear to part with but one particular set of items are his National Geographic magazines. From what I've researched they're worth quite a bit of money because they have all of the original maps still intact but he just adored them and it would feel odd offering them to someone else.

On the flip side, I'm excited to be able to offer all of the books that he loved to read regularly. They were his joy and it makes me feel good that I can share those with other readers all over the world.
0 Likes

Ellen, I like how Etsy allows you to at least keep the image of an item. This is not the case with Ebay. However, you can save all of your images on a personal Pinterest board.
0 Likes

That's a really good use of Pinterest boards, Stephanie.
List the item on etsy, then share to that pinterest board.
Bonus #1 - exposure and sales
Bonus #2 - memories saved!
0 Likes

Yes! Love these modern means for record keeping....
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.