Announcement and Changes in Team Leadership

I've been considering closing my shop on etsy for over a year now. My sales have been low and I'm focusing on other things in my life, so haven't really dedicated the time I was to etsy. That of course, will lower my sales.

Then with so many changes that have affected the users, I'm seeing minimal interaction on the discussion threads in teams. In fact, some people who were dedicated participants have "disappeared".

I gave etsy into 2019 to see if my course changed directions (as it has in the past) but I seem to be on this other pathway for certain. Those other projects have evolved into bigger things and have become my focus. 

I've cancelled the auto renew on my listings and as they expire, I'll be leaving them drop off. When all listings are gone, I plan to "exit stage left."

I've enjoyed my time on etsy and I've learned many things. I've met some wonderful people on etsy and have connected either via other social media or email. I intend to keep those people in my circle in those areas, just won't be on etsy.

Do I have a timeline?
As mentioned, when my listings expire.
So probably somewhere between 3-4 months from now. (November ish).

Until then, I'm here and functioning as much as I have been these last few months.

I appreciate all the kindness, support and interactions we've also. It takes a village to raise a child, they say … and I believe that it takes a village to create a network of positive, likeminded people who help each succeed.

If I'm not selling on etsy, I won't be able to support, educate and assist people who are, so I don't feel it's appropriate for me to continue acting as leader in any teams.

I wish you the best of luck in all your ventures and hope we can stay in contact through other avenues. 

Noel 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
5 Replies

Re: Announcement

I almost didn't recognize this "place!" I normally log-in through the Etsy app, but everything is so much different now from my desktop.

Sadly, I was checking in to say good-bye and to step down as a team leader, and then I was shocked and disappointed at the same time to find Noel's note here. Like Noel, I have taken on other projects, both in my day job and in my side business plans, and just do not have the extra time for Etsy anymore.

I will always have a special fondness for the Etsy community and for all the connections I made along the way, but I find myself at a time when that special fondness is now met with sweet nostalgia. I changed, but so did Etsy, and I am not certain I will return to selling again on Etsy unless I start to sell handmade creations.

I will always feel that this team is special and unique, and our intention from the very beginning was to provide each other with helpful selling and buying advice, but to also support each other as friends. It truly had that kind of a feel to it back then, and in many ways, it still does, but social media in general has changed how people connect online. Social media will continue to change, and so will we with each new endeavor, but we will always remember that quaint little "online" book selling space for likeminded people from all around the world who shared information and ideas when learning to navigate the world of ecommerce in vintage goods/books together. Some of my earliest and most memorable contacts are no longer found around here, and I regret to fade from this venue as well, but, in a way, it has faded from me also. Everything keeps changing, and I know many of us made it our mission to keep and to share the "old" so that such would not be forgotten. We did good work though, and I believe this team will continue the good work, no matter how this platform may change.

As I step down, I will continue to keep my Etsy account, so I can remain a team member, at least for a while. I have considered selling just my holiday items in my other Etsy shop which I think is also a team member, but I haven't decided between Etsy and Ebay for that. All my other items were donated since I am focusing on so many other things.

I wish everyone the best! I will be around for a while if anyone wants to chat or has any questions. Well, it's time for you sellers to market for "Christmas in July." I hope everyone has a wonderful autumn as well as the most beautiful winter holidays. Those were always my favorite times spent on and around Etsy.

Best Regards,

Stephanie

P.S.
I want to thank Noel for really continuing to maintain this team for the last 5 years. She has done a tremendous job between this forum and our team Pinterest boards! Thank you, Noel! You are amazing!♥ I will miss you! I think we are still connected through Pinterest at least.

0 Likes

Re: Announcement

Since it appears our mission statement and helpful resource links have disappeared through Etsy changes, I just wanted to point out to new leaders and for all team members that the Book Sellers' Discussion Thread contains most of that information and more.

I am linking it here:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Vintage-Books/Book-Sellers-Discussion-Board/gpm-p/107218815

I hope this helps.

~Stephanie

0 Likes
stonebridgeworks
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Announcement and Changes in Team Leadership

Thank you to Stephanie and Noel for their leadership on this team. I, too, am leaving etsy as soon as my listings expire. I don't think the changes etsy has made are conducive to selling vintage books on this platform. Has anyone sold books through Biblio.com? Their fees are higher but not significantly and they do have a large book community. I'd love to hear about other vintage book platforms, if anyone has experience wtih them. Also, check out my shop while it's still around. 10% when you buy two or more books from separate listings and I do combine shipping at media rate. Thanks again, Stephanie, and Noel, for being great leaders!

2 Likes
VintageBookworms
Conversation Maker

Thank you, both Noel and Stephanie, for all that you have done to bring strength and wisdom to our team.  We will miss you on Etsy but our book community is small, albeit global.  And us book lovers will always have a way of finding each other!

1 Like

Thank you, Noel & Stephanie.  I have never sold enough books on Etsy (or elsewhere) but enjoyed checking in here now & then.  Wishing you both well.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.